• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What’s the nomination or voting process in this GERMAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR?
Is it like a twitter, online poll or survey thing where everyone including non Germans can vote?

Or is it like the PFA, Ballon’Dor thing where players are voted for by their peers?

What is the process?
Someone else explained the process already

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This problem of terrible judgement pervades AM though. There's actually posters on here who kept saying Nacho was useless.
Hardly the best example of poor judgement. He started his Arsenal career pretty poorly and was a bit of a liability until he found his feet tbh. After that he was one of the first names on the team sheet, I imagine.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

lol after hearing about his loyalty bonus, him offering to pay Gunnersaurus wages just hits a bit different.

In theory, he could easily pay for all the 55 staff for the rest of the year probably.

musoke

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Özil shouting "walla you are not a coach" to Don Emery and getting away with it will hurt forever
I remember this coming out. And his fans were high fiving each others about how Özil is a boss for absolutely disrespecting and undermining his manager. They were celebrating.

But this is what happens when one is put on such a hyped up pedestal by his / admirers. That person will develop this invincible god-like attitude and mentality because he / she know there are no consequences.

The way Özil has been overhyped, overrated and over praised no matter what since he broke onto the scene in 2010 by his cult followers has gotten him to believe his own hype.

To them Özil is some sort of saint that never does wrong. It’s always someone else’s or some other things fault. Whatever misstep he makes can be interpreted or twisted into something good or painting him as the VICTIM as always.
I have never seen anything like it in my decades of supporting Arsenal. The cultish mentality some people exhibit towards Özil. The complete psychological hold he seems to have on his followers is scary.

Seriously.
o_O

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It is bad management, but by all accounts Wenger was against the size of the contract
Iirc, Wenger was against the contract full stop. He would never sign anyone on that money. Cesc and Nasri were far more integral to us and we survived their departure so I could never understand this decision. Before that, we'd been held to random by Theo who wasn't worth his last contract and Per virtually retired after the 2014 WC before an FA Cup swansong. I think Gazidis wanted to prove his promise that we were a big club. Now we're a big skint (ish) club :(

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
a figure of £100k a game was mentioned yesterday

It really pisses me off big time that this guy gets all this money, refuses a pay cut in difficult times, and still chases the adulation of people much poorer than him for his 'philanthropy'
Owner's wealth went up over $400 million during lockdown. His wife's increased by a mere $125 million.

These are indeed difficult times.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
All just sad. Club and Özil briefing the press tit for tat

Can't wait until he goes because I have no real ill will it's just a horrible quarrel he and the club find themselves in that reflects poorly on both

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
lol after hearing about his loyalty bonus, him offering to pay Gunnersaurus wages just hits a bit different.

In theory, he could easily pay for all the 55 staff for the rest of the year probably.
And it remains an offer as well… As far as I know. He hasn’t given a penny to the man yet. Meaningless grandstanding. What a guy.

musoke

The problem is that even Özil at his very best (2015) didn't warrant that contract. You only pay that sort of money to goalscorers that win matches on their own imo.

All round it was just a terrible bit of mismanagement from that charlatan Gazidis.
In 2017-18 some of us were screaming for the club not to give into Özil’s demands. But we were the minority voice and all our protests were drowned out by the majority of our fellow gooners. I remember in 2016/17 the the media were reporting something like £220,000 - £250,000 a week contract. And I couldn’t believe that our board would offer Özil that much when he had been so underwhelming and inconsistent since he joined in 2013.

In 2017 fellow gooners kept saying things like;
“Pay Özil whatever he wants.”
“If they let Özil go we will hit them where it hurts, we will stop buying the clubs merchandise and attending matches blah blah”...

It was complete meltdown from our fanbase back then regarding the whole Özil contract saga.

And because members of our board are very incompetent they gave into the fans and media emotions/ propaganda.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Iirc, Wenger was against the contract full stop. He would never sign anyone on that money. Cesc and Nasri were far more integral to us and we survived their departure so I could never understand this decision. Before that, we'd been held to random by Theo who wasn't worth his last contract and Per virtually retired after the 2014 WC before an FA Cup swansong. I think Gazidis wanted to prove his promise that we were a big club. Now we're a big skint (ish) club :(

Yeah I think that was Ivan’s plan but his successor’s have gone the other way , trying to make us look like one blokeS contract is driving us toward insolvency.

In all honesty the sooner Özil goes sooner we get to see how incompetent management really is.

musoke

Cg0Pf2sUcAEisDO.jpg

It's a pointless discussion because I can say Özil played well against xyz, and somebody will say he didn't. Even in his best season, @Jury said he did nothing all game except for 1 or 2 good passes that ended up as assists. It's clear that people have different definitions of what constitutes a good game for him.
So the same old tactic. Blame eveyone else for Özil’s inabilities?
Can’t Giroud also have a point that he did not receive any good service from his midfielders? May be Özil failed to provide quality chances for Giroud?

Why does it always have to be someone else’s fault for Özil’s poor performances?

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I remember this coming out. And his fans were high fiving each others about how Özil is a boss for absolutely disrespecting and undermining his manager. They were celebrating.

But this is what happens when one is put on such a hyped up pedestal by his / admirers. That person will develop this invincible god-like attitude and mentality because he / she know there are no consequences.

The way Özil has been overhyped, overrated and over praised no matter what since he broke onto the scene in 2010 by his cult followers has gotten him to believe his own hype.

To them Özil is some sort of saint that never does wrong. It’s always someone else’s or some other things fault. Whatever misstep he makes can be interpreted or twisted into something good or painting him as the VICTIM as always.
I have never seen anything like it in my decades of supporting Arsenal. The cultish mentality some people exhibit towards Özil. The complete psychological hold he seems to have on his followers is scary.

Seriously.
o_O
"I don’t know [if Özil regrets his retirement from the national team], but I don’t like his decision. I think it was a mistake. He’s a very nice person and a magnificent footballer — and I’ve seen many players in my life. He is one of the greatest! That’s why it’s a shame."
- Öccult leader Arsène Wenger on Oct 11 2020
Eyes-Wide-Shut-Stanley-Kubrick.-animated-gif-1.gif

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
"I don’t know [if Özil regrets his retirement from the national team], but I don’t like his decision. I think it was a mistake. He’s a very nice person and a magnificent footballer — and I’ve seen many players in my life. He is one of the greatest! That’s why it’s a shame."
- Öccult leader Arsène Wenger on Oct 11 2020
Eyes-Wide-Shut-Stanley-Kubrick.-animated-gif-1.gif
“... but 350k a week? Sacre bleu!!! He’s not that good”

Wenger knew.

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Can’t Giroud also have a point that he did not receive any good service from his midfielders? May be Özil failed to provide quality chances for Giroud?

Why does it always have to be someone else’s fault for Özil’s poor performances?
He asked why Özil didn't have as many assists in the second half of that season, and I pointed out that the main CF on the team had a long barren run. That's one of the contributing factors.

Not sure why you're getting so emotional.

GDeep™

League is very weak

We all watched these games in pain, what you talking about? chances were being created for Giroud who was firing blanks. We all watched his with our eyes. Özil was putting chances on a plate.

It wasn’t even the fault of Giroud, the club should’ve signed Higuain.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Wenger on Özil contract, in other places he said that he estimates Özil level players to be £100 million:

“When you let a player go you have to buy somebody of the same calibre and if you add the wages needed it will be similar,” he said.

“On top of that we have to pay a transfer. So overall I think Mesut for us was the cheapest option."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1061908/Mesut-Özil-contract-Arsenal-Arsène-Wenger-Emery

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He asked why Özil didn't have as many assists in the second half of that season, and I pointed out that the main CF on the team had a long barren run. That's one of the contributing factors.

Not sure why you're getting so emotional.
You posted up stats ages ago that showed that Giroud didn’t miss any chances ‘presented’ to him by Özil in that barren spell :lol:

We do know he scored seven times in those 19 assists though. Jesus, this argument is ancient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom