• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think people need to think about wages in a more sophisticated way.

People just think of the wages an amount of money but in reality the club calculates the wages they’re willing to give on more than just the quality of the player. Özil has international marketability beyond just being good.

His wage is off set by money he brings in for the club. Torreira could win ballon d’or and he still wouldn’t earn what Özil will. He’s just not marketable and doesn’t have Ozils story (gained massive popularity at Real Madrid)

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
As for the Fenerbache links there are plenty, so your claim that this has not been a story is just false.

I didn't claim it hasn't been a story. I said that as far as I know Özil has never expressed such a desire. I've only heard him talk about going back to Schalke someday. Big difference between paper talk and the player actually saying something. Paper talk is most likely an assumption that because he's of Turkish ancestry he must want to go play there. And that's what I'm talking about.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I think people need to think about wages in a more sophisticated way.

People just think of the wages an amount of money but in reality the club calculates the wages they’re willing to give on more than just the quality of the player. Özil has international marketability beyond just being good.

His wage is off set by money he brings in for the club. Torreira could win ballon d’or and he still wouldn’t earn what Özil will. He’s just not marketable and doesn’t have Ozils story (gained massive popularity at Real Madrid)

James Olley reported recently that Arsenal told Ramsey there is no way he will get anything close to Özil's wages because he doesn't carry the same worldwide commercial clout. Whether or not this (i.e., Arsenal telling Ramsey that) is true or not, I don't know. But it is true that Özil's commercial value is enormous.

180821-evening-standard-ramsey.png

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I didn't claim it hasn't been a story. I said that as far as I know Özil has never expressed such a desire. I've only heard him talk about going back to Schalke someday. Big difference between paper talk and the player actually saying something. Paper talk is most likely an assumption that because he's of Turkish ancestry he must want to go play there. And that's what I'm talking about.

He did mention he wanted to play for Fener at some stage to a Turkish newspaper about 2 years ago as he was a supporter as a boy . Obviously was never really going to happen.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
He did mention he wanted to play for Fener at some stage to a Turkish newspaper about 2 years ago as he was a supporter as a boy . Obviously was never really going to happen.

I stand corrected then. I searched and couldn't find where he had actually said that himself, but apparently missed it. But as you say, it would quite obviously never happen. He might have just been being polite when somebody asked him about the (impossible) possibility. But the idea of him moving there from Arsenal and them taking on his contract is beyond ludicrous. Hell, Schalke couldn't afford him right now. His wages could almost pay their whole starting XI. Bayern doesn't even pay wages like Özil's.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I stand corrected then. I searched and couldn't find where he had actually said that himself, but apparently missed it. But as you say, it would quite obviously never happen. He might have just been being polite when somebody asked him about the (impossible) possibility. But the idea of him moving there from Arsenal and them taking on his contract is beyond ludicrous. Hell, Schalke couldn't afford him right now. His wages could almost pay their whole starting XI. Bayern doesn't even pay wages like Özil's.

As you say he was trying to be polite . Think he feels an obligation to show hes not forgotten his roots as a lot of immigrants feel.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

James Olley reported recently that Arsenal told Ramsey there is no way he will get anything close to Özil's wages because he doesn't carry the same worldwide commercial clout. Whether or not this (i.e., Arsenal telling Ramsey that) is true or not, I don't know. But it is true that Özil's commercial value is enormous.

180821-evening-standard-ramsey.png

Never realised how ernormous Ozils commercial clout. Amazing.

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
oh ****...another season..another decision.

now i gotta decide if I am Özil FC or Arsenal FC

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

0.54 A/G per game
By far our best player. So happy that he signed
Still if you break that down over the seasons he's been here you find he's under performed in a couple. That's why I'm upset with mesut of late... we know he's capable.. it will come right

Arsenio Venger

Very poor in the first half.

Not really, but great in the second half

It’s funny. His play directly led to the second goal and this is what you focus on. Our offense went into a second gear with him at the helm and then you focus on the first half. Hmm why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom