• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

We would definitely have won with him on the pitch.

Bore off mate. We don't win with him on the pitch and we don't win without him on the pitch either. He was reinstated to the team and he's done absolutely nothing to disprove any doubters. Give his spot to someone who isn't stinking the place out and who hasn't been in retirement since 2016.

Edit: spelling :lol:

Last edited:

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Bore off mate. We don't win with him on the pitch or we don't win with him off the pitch either. He was reinstated to the team and he's done absolutely nothing to disprove any doubters. Give his spot to someone who isn't stinking the place out and who hasn't been in retirement since 2016.
People with a name beginning with K on this thread tend to talk krap.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bore off mate. We don't win with him on the pitch or we don't win with him off the pitch either. He was reinstated to the team and he's done absolutely nothing to disprove any doubters. Give his spot to someone who isn't stinking the place out and who hasn't been in retirement since 2016.
this season, mate? He played maybe 5 games, and was instrumental in our few wins.

Only bad game from him was the one before the city game.

Yeah. I’ve lost count of the amount of assists Özil has given Auba since he joined two years ago.
Everton rarely even closed down our midfield. Any creative passer would have made a difference.

Jae

this season, mate? He played maybe 5 games, and was instrumental in our few wins.

He's played 11 games in all competitions actually (8 PL, 2 EFL and 1 Carabao Cup). ALL of these have been on as a starter except 30 minutes as a sub against Frankfurt.

We've won 2 of those 11 games... 1 game in the Premier League (West Ham away) and Forest in the Carabao cup. Other than that we've not won a single game that he's played in this season. We've actually won more games WITHOUT him in the team.

Before anyone starts, I'm not saying we lost because of him, I'm saying he's one of many problems with this squad and the above backs up my point that we lose with him and we lose without him. I don't see any discernable difference in our play with him in the team.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
He's played 11 games in all competitions actually (8 PL, 2 EFL and 1 Carabao Cup). ALL of these have been on as a starter except 30 minutes as a sub against Frankfurt.

We've won 2 of those 11 games... 1 game in the Premier League (West Ham away) and Forest in the Carabao cup. Other than that we've not won a single game that he's played in this season. We've actually won more games WITHOUT him in the team.

Before anyone starts, I'm not saying we lost because of him, I'm saying he's one of many problems with this squad and the above backs up my point that we lose with him and we lose without him. I don't see any discernable difference in our play with him in the team.
I think he's one of the symptoms of the problems the team is having. He needs a functional midfield behind him. He's had to drop back to progress the ball. Give him possession in dangerous areas and he'll create.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Key Passes in PL:

Pepe: 18 in 15 appearances
Özil: 17 in 8 appearances.

maybe some of the criticism is right, but his performance has not been bad this season at all.

He made a difference whenever he played.

Jae

Key Passes in PL:

Pepe: 18 in 15 appearances
Özil: 17 in 8 appearances.

maybe some of the criticism is right, but his performance has not been bad this season at all.

He made a difference whenever he played.

See now you're moving the goalposts mate. You were talking about wins and how Özil is "instrumental" - I've shown you evidence to the contrary.

I'm not sure why you are comparing Özil and Pepe. Pepe doesn't even play the same position and they have vastly different roles within our team.

He's not been bad but he hasn't exactly been good either has he? Don't know how you can say he's made a difference when we don't realistically look any better with or without him in the team.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
See now you're moving the goalposts mate. You were talking about wins and how Özil is "instrumental" - I've shown you evidence to the contrary.

I'm not sure why you are comparing Özil and Pepe. Pepe doesn't even play the same position and they have vastly different roles within our team.

He's not been bad but he hasn't exactly been good either has he? Don't know how you can say he's made a difference when we don't realistically look any better with or without him in the team.
I made a comment specific to the last game.

As far as looking good, he's been our best midfielder along with Torreira. Not that it matters much.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It still amazes me how some people still want Özil in the team.

He has a lot of doubters,but he's done nothing to prove them wrong.

There should be no room in this club for players who sulk as soon as things go wrong.

Call Alexis what you will, but he never gave up when things went bad.

We should cash in on him as soon we can.

It's a shame he has more 'fans' on Twitter than arsenal. Those so called fans would want him to play no matter what even if the result on the pitch is suffering.

Emery got plenty wrong. The only thing he got right was dropping Özil

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Think his languid style doesn't help. Doesn't kill himself tracking back or forcing the game - but he still tends to still play surprisingly high number of key passes even during a quiet day.

If we had a solid, reliable unit behind him I think he'd thrive... problem is we don't. Özil needs a team built around him but we've too many gaps and mismatched pieces at the minute. Not worth 350k a week to us but don't think it's all his fault either.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
He just doesn’t care about football that much anymore. He doesn’t track back & I can live with that as he never did that anyway. He used to come alive whenever we had the possession but he doesn’t try to chase stuff at all now days. The hunger is gone & without the passion for the game you can't really do much to affect it.
He was one of the best players in the world in his hay day. He is physically almost the same but the mentality is gone.

shootxhakashoot

I made a comment specific to the last game.

As far as looking good, he's been our best midfielder along with Torreira. Not that it matters much.
Hold on isn't he an attacker rather than a midfielder. Or maybe that's just a convenient excuse for his fan club cult when his work rate is criticised?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hold on isn't he an attacker rather than a midfielder. Or maybe that's just a convenient excuse for his fan club cult when his work rate is criticised?
well, he is the best of our Midfielders and Attackers (excluding STs). Only guys who have been performing on par is Saka and Pepe.

shootxhakashoot

well, he is the best of our Midfielders and Attackers (excluding STs). Only guys who have been performing on par is Saka and Pepe.
So that's basically everyone covered then DM to Midfield to attacker apart from strikers that he is performing better than? This Özil must be some player to play all those positions so well at once. Does Martinelli not count as an attacker though or does he count as a striker in the Ozilverse? Strange he didn't make that list of attackers isn't it.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So that's basically everyone covered then DM to Midfield to attacker apart from strikers that he is performing better than? This Özil must be some player to play all those positions so well at once. Does Martinelli not count as an attacker though or does he count as a striker in the Ozilverse? Strange he didn't make that list of attackers isn't it.
Pretty much. sorry forgot about Martinelli. Scored a good goal, and good hustle.

He's the only creative player in his position right now apart from ESR. Dropping him makes us worse!

What do you want me to say?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Will be interesting to see where/how he plays under Arteta- who of course has played with him.

Arteta will know his game inside out and I expect him to try and supplement his style. People can deny it till the cows come home but an on-song Özil makes us a much more potent outfit.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The fact that we have him on 350kpw is the reason most fans are frustrated with him.
I know it's not his fault that he's on that mammoth wage, at least put in some effort ffs. I think he's done. He looks like he doesn't even care anymore.

The most disgusting thing are his cult followers.
They're disgraceful rather see this beloved club fall than see their hero's feelings hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom