• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
All i am saying is I rather play torreira,willock,guen than have Özil in there. I dont rate him.

Never Said özil lost the ball. I must be talking to someone elden.

He has a few Good games a year. Not enough. He got what 2 assists last year? Probably in One game.
about right. last year was his only outright 'bad' season, though disrupted by injuries. Only played 20 odd games.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Özil’s still one of football’s artists, a purist’s wet dream. He has peripheral vision and an incalculable gift of unlocking space that doesn’t seem to exist.

That’s why he gets defended.

The issue is when the chips are down and we need him to step up, all too often he’s unable to affect the game. He’s now our most senior midfielder, yet instead of fighting to recover when dispossessed he often wallows in self pity or seeks reprieve from the referee.

When subbed off he should be offering words of support and encouragement to his rookie team mates, not sulking like a baby.

While his talent is undeniable, the productivity over the last 3 seasons doesn’t warrant the kind of free pass some here suggest he is owed. He still has a place here, but it is a meritocracy and the team ALWAYS comes first.

We are all Arsenal fans and we all want him to do well but it’s down to him to prove why deserves to start every match.

Talent alone doesn’t cut it.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Imagine Auba getting 4 goals in 20 games and getting defended.
I would definitely defend Auba or any of our players who have a bad patch, especially if they were injured.

It's a bit much to send out a lynch squad for one bad season

Ewarwoowar

Özil’s still one of football’s artists, a purist’s wet dream. He has peripheral vision and an incalculable gift of unlocking space that doesn’t seem to exist.

That’s why he gets defended.

The issue is when the chips are down and we need him to step up, all too often he’s unable to affect the game. He’s now our most senior midfielder, yet instead of fighting to recover when dispossessed he often wallows in self pity or seeks reprieve from the referee.

When subbed off he should be offering words of support and encouragement to his rookie team mates, not sulking like a baby.

While his talent is undeniable, the productivity over the last 3 seasons doesn’t warrant the kind of free pass some here suggest he is owed. He still has a place here, but it is a meritocracy and the team ALWAYS comes first.

We are all Arsenal fans and we all want him to do well but it’s down to him to prove why deserves to start every match.

Talent alone doesn’t cut it.

I like your post I do, but, we may have to redefine the word meritocracy given the clowns that consistently let us down and yet still remain in the 1st team.

On one hand he could act like he gave a **** a little more that might appease some but a lot of the criticism seem harsh when most of our games recently are ruined by his team mates behind him in the build up from the back or through rash defence. If **** like that did not happen we would be in a better position, then maybe people wouldn't be going at him with a fine tooth comb.

On a lighter note. nice to see him smiling yesterday during game time, unfortunate he had it wiped off.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
I would definitely defend Auba or any of our players who have a bad patch, especially if they were injured.

It's a bit much to send out a lynch squad for one bad season
Well, i would not. He is 31 soon and doesn't seem to give a sh!t, had a **** season. and maybe a great game vs trash opposition which doesn't matter cause we'd win anyways.

If auba next season scored 4 goals and looked like he didnt give a ****, i'd throw him the f out of here. no need for that sh!t in our club. Give it to someone hungry with a future that wants it.

Ewarwoowar

Well, i would not. He is 31 soon and doesn't seem to give a sh!t, had a **** season. and maybe a great game vs trash opposition which doesn't matter cause we'd win anyways.

If auba next season scored 4 goals and looked like he didnt give a ****, i'd throw him the f out of here. no need for that sh!t in our club. Give it to someone hungry with a future that wants it.

giphy.gif

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I like your post I do, but, we may have to redefine the word meritocracy given the clowns that consistently let us down and yet still remain in the 1st team.

On one hand he could act like he gave a **** a little more that might appease some but a lot of the criticism seem harsh when most of our games recently are ruined by his team mates behind him in the build up from the back or through rash defence. If **** like that did not happen we would be in a better position, then maybe people wouldn't be going at him with a fine tooth comb.

On a lighter note. nice to see him smiling yesterday during game time, unfortunate he had it wiped off.

I agree with you. There are others culpable too, but since this is focused on Mesut, I put the lens on him.

I too was glad to see him enjoying football

So much hate, get a life

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

you try to find out what is wrong with them, and try to get them firing again.

This discard culture will destroy the club in the long run.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Özil doesn't deserve to be starting for us consistently. It is a disgrace that Guendouzi who is being paid almost 7 times less than Özil puts out more great performances than him. He used to be my favourite arsenal player, but now he's lost that competitiveness. He doesn't even care if Emery benches him. He's a 350kpw milestone around our neck.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
you try to find out what is wrong with them, and try to get them firing again.

This discard culture will destroy the club in the long run.
We've done the opposite and been left with dross on high wage that noone wants to pay for. didn't work out for us imo.

Iceman10

Established Member
Özil doesn't deserve to be starting for us consistently. It is a disgrace that Guendouzi who is being paid almost 7 times less than Özil puts out more great performances than him. He used to be my favourite arsenal player, but now he's lost that competitiveness. He doesn't even care if Emery benches him. He's a 350kpw milestone around our neck.

Different players, different things to offer the first team, and hence different markets (demand/supply) for transfer fees, wages, etc.

I like Big Poppa's post above though, that is basically where I'm at. [https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mesut-Özil-2019-20-performances.33848/page-23#post-4923161]

There are independent things to assess with Özil and Emery. Just because people are unhappy with Emery does not mean they should be changing their views of Özil simply to add to the pile-on. Many here imo are doing that, subconsciously or not.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Lol do you even look at him? He’s super frustrated to be on the bench and when he gets subbed. Could do much more to hide it actually, we don’t need another Alexis like sulking player.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Different players, different things to offer the first team, and hence different markets (demand/supply) for transfer fees, wages, etc.

I like Big Poppa's post above though, that is basically where I'm at. [https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mesut-Özil-2019-20-performances.33848/page-23#post-4923161]

There are independent things to assess with Özil and Emery. Just because people are unhappy with Emery does not mean they should be changing their views of Özil simply to add to the pile-on. Many here imo are doing that, subconsciously or not.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not Emery biggest fan. I criticize him on a lot of things, but the Özil issue is not one of them. It's quite shameful that some of our fans give him a free pass. For someone on 350kpw, he should be winning us games ffs, not having a 'good game' versus Nottingham f**king forest.
It's hard to be sympathetic with a player who is on a massive wage but only turn up when he's arsed.

Ever since we gave him that massive wage, I can count on one hand the number of truly world class games we've seen from him.

How many top managers will play him in their team?

The game has moved on. Players like Özil have been made redundant. When you ask an Özil fan why he thinks Özil should play, they always offer the same intangible bull**** like "his movement is good", "he links up play well" and so many other abstract stuff.

You see Bernardo Silva or KDB or other top midfielders. You don't see them sulking when things don't go their way.
They relish the challenge of dragging their team to victory.

Fans on here seem to think that either you're an artist or a grafter but can't be both.

Edit: I'm not an Özil hater. I just want what's best for our club

Last edited:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Lol do you even look at him? He’s super frustrated to be on the bench and when he gets subbed. Could do much more to hide it actually, we don’t need another Alexis like sulking player.
Well, he should play like he wants to be on the team. I didn't really see anything special with him in NF game. He played like the Özil that we've come to know in last couple years, solid without being special against an average team and then s**t against good teams away. The difference is that his fans is using it as an evidence for him to start.

Is it any coincidence that our best away games against top sides have been without him on the pitch?

Iceman10

Established Member
My thoughts exactly. I'm not Emery biggest fan. I criticize him on a lot of things, but the Özil issue is not one of them. It's quite shameful that some of our fans give him a free pass. For someone on 350kpw. He should be winning us games ffs, not having a 'good game' versus Nottingham f**king forest.
It's hard to be sympathetic with a player who is on a massive wage but only turn up when he's arsed.

Ever since we have him that massive wage, I can count on one hand the number of truly world class games we've seen from him.

How many top managers will play him in their team?

The game has moved on. Players like Özil have been made redundant. When you ask an Özil fan why he thinks Özil should play, they always offer the same intangible bull**** like his "movement is good", "he links up play well" and so many other abstract stuff.

You see Bernardo Silva or KDB or other top midfielders. You don't see them sulking when things don't go their way.

Fans on here seem to think that either you're an artist or a grafter but can't be both.

The additional issue that weighs down on the overall calculus is the more senior he becomes in the squad the more important is consciousness of his role when it comes to influence on other players, and overall contribution to squad spirit and morale, no matter what is going on with him individually. Maybe he is doing all of that well in his own way, but we don't see many reports saying such, let alone much of younger players bonding with him and lauding him as an inspirational role model. There is video iirc of him on the bench when we scored the winner against Villa and he was hanging back compared to the younger players leaping off the bench and celebrating. Fine, he may be on the reserved and introverted side, but where was the hugging and celebrating with other players in pure joy for the club?

... and no, one should never get to the point of thinking he should start because we don't want him to sulk. That would be the opposite of meritocracy, and again potential bad influence and demotivation on our younger players. He has to earn his starts, as with everyone else.

It's an "eye of the tiger" thing.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Well, he should play like he wants to be on the team. I didn't really see anything special with him in NF game. He played like the Özil that we've come to know in last couple years, solid without being special against an average team and then s**t against good teams away. The difference is that his fans is using it as an evidence for him to start.

Is it any coincidence that our best away games against top sides have been without him on the pitch?
What are you on about, we collapsed when he went off against watford, thats a week ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom