• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
You'd probably have to take RVPs last season for 10 seasons to have a player compare to Maradona.

That season was the best I've seen from a player at the Emirates.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Comparing Özil to Maradona is just plain foolish. Anyone who posts anything like that simply need to stop and quickly delete such a post. :facepalm:

Maradona was one of the greatest ever, if not the greatest player ever. In my view Maradona was, but I am biased having seen him play at the hight of his career. Maradona was just something else. Özil would be happy if he lands among the top 250-500 all time. He probably shouldn't be even there.

Özil wasn't even the best Arsenal player when Alexis was here. Sanchez was a better player and carried us more than Özil did. Sanchez never hid and always, while here, brought it all.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
One of Bergkamp or Henry is "Arsenal's Maradonna", if we have any player that can match Diego's Napoli legacy.

G isn't being serious anyway.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Whatever anyone thinks of him nowadays, his signing was something to behold. I can still see those camera's on deadline day, that we had signed Mesut ****ing Özil, 24 y/o superstar from Real Madrid. We were finally spending money on super quality, like Wenger had stated so often. Never been so excited about a transfer.

Eight years onwards we are looking at transfer topics about a 54 y/o Willian ffs.

Balboa

Maybe I should have said BIG signing. The signing of Wright or Bergkamp is comparable. Most of the others were players who deveopled at the Arsenal and weren't big names when we signed them.

I assume the inclusion of Groves and Marwood is a joke.
eeaf8-1506492916-800.jpg

2538941.main_image.jpg
luis-boa-morte-arsenal_zl43112dfdct1kb2rkp6n8u5n.jpg

iu

iu

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Would Özil make a list of the top 5 German players this decade? More likely top 10?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
All of you know exactly what Gdeep meant with that post.

It's only because it's him and Özil that it was blown out of proportion.

He wasn't comparing Özil and Maradona in terms of playing ability but in terms of a talismanic force dragging a team to a league title.

It isn't even that blasphemous, Özil was virtuoso that year. Giroud must have been born under a lucky star. Any other player goes on a dry streak like that (it was neither his first nor last), he gets roasted to the heavens.

Riou

All of you know exactly what Gdeep meant with that post.

It's only because it's him and Özil that it was blown out of proportion.

He wasn't comparing Özil and Maradona in terms of playing ability but in terms of a talismanic force dragging a team to a league title.

It isn't even that blasphemous, Özil was virtuoso that year. Giroud must have been born under a lucky star. Any other player goes on a dry streak like that (it was neither his first nor last), he gets roasted to the heavens.

Except we have won plenty of other league titles in our history, so there is no comparison to Maradona's Napoli time.

Also we have had better players than Özil at this club take us to titles, even if we did win the league in 2016...Bergkamp in 1998 and Henry in 2004 was just a different level (even Pires in 2002 was special) which is no real slight on Mes.

But as I said, G was just looking for a reaction.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Wish him the best. He was fantastic for 4 seasons. A joy to watch. Its a shame football has become too mechanical now with an emphasis on pressing, but its just how it is at the moment.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Would Özil make a list of the top 5 German players this decade? More likely top 10?

For me he was world class from 2010 until 2017.

Probably puts him on a par if not ahead of Kroos if you count the number of seasons and definitely Schweinsteiger as well.

Probably only really behind Muller and Neuer imo.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Except we have won plenty of other league titles in our history, so there is no comparison to Maradona's Napoli time.

Also we have had better players than Özil at this club take us to titles, even if we did win the league in 2016...Bergkamp in 1998 and Henry in 2004 was just a different level (even Pires in 2002 was special) which is no real slight on Mes.

But as I said, G was just looking for a reaction.

I'm agreeing that we had better players but those players also had better teams around him.

I think the comparison was more about a player carrying an average team to a league title.

I can't explain it, but if we had won the league at anytime post 2005 I wouldn't have held those titles in higher esteem than the early Wenger years because I feel the league is weaker in some aspects and so were we. But at the same time, it would have been from an internal perspective a bigger achievement for a player to take us to a league title with Cech in goal, Giroud up front and the clowns we had at the back in those days vs doing it with Lehman, Sol Campbell and Pires.

I just don't think it's a blasphemous comparison.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

How is he viewed in Germany? These sort of things aren't really based on ability these days but likability.

Trying to be as objective as possible, in no real order

Kroos
Neuer
Lahm
Muller
Özil

Schweinsteiger was done fairly early on in this decade. Neither Germany, nor Bayern have pulled up any trees between 2014-2019 so I can't think of many other names.

Riou

I'm agreeing that we had better players but those players also had better teams around him.

I think the comparison was more about a player carrying an average team to a league title.

I can't explain it, but if we had won the league at anytime post 2005 I wouldn't have held those titles in higher esteem than the early Wenger years because I feel the league is weaker in some aspects and so were we. But at the same time, it would have been from an internal perspective a bigger achievement for a player to take us to a league title with Cech in goal, Giroud up front and the clowns we had at the back in those days vs doing it with Lehman, Sol Campbell and Pires.

I just don't think it's a blasphemous comparison.

Our team was pretty good in the 2015/2016 season tbf...

Cech
Bellerin-Kos-Per-Nacho
Caz-Coq
Ramsey-Özil-Sanchez
Walcott
...that's a very good team imo, Sanchez and Cazorla were as good as Özil then, while Kos was a terrific defender, etc...we tailed off after a lot of injuries, Özil tailed off too lets not forget in 2nd half of that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal

Latest posts

Top Bottom