• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
My issue with Özil comes from the fact that if he isn't on top of his game, he doesn't seem to offer much. Mkhitaryan for example always busts a gut defensively, so he's still contributing something worthwhile when he's struggling offensively. With Özil though it feels like you get all or nothing, and his all is out of this world while his nothing is incredibly frustrating because you know what he's capable of.

I just hope that we can build a team that isn't too dependent on him, sometimes I feel the team can't pick up Özil's occasional slack. If we can do that, we'll be much better for it.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
My issue with Özil comes from the fact that if he isn't on top of his game, he doesn't seem to offer much. Mkhitaryan for example always busts a gut defensively, so he's still contributing something worthwhile when he's struggling offensively. With Özil though it feels like you get all or nothing, and his all is out of this world while his nothing is incredibly frustrating because you know what he's capable of.

I just hope that we can build a team that isn't too dependent on him, sometimes I feel the team can't pick up Özil's occasional slack. If we can do that, we'll be much better for it.

Yeah but then Random Ryan loses the ball much more often than Mesut, almost in Alexis fashion, so most of the time that's what he's making up for with his defensive work.

It is what it is. Players are different. Some have strengths in one area, and weaknesses in others.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Nobody work as hard as Özil IMO. His attacking contribution and off ball movement is unmatched in the team.
49B5FAA500000578-5451551-image-a-30_1519936416688.jpg

sonerb81

Nobody work as hard as Özil IMO. His attacking contribution and off ball movement is unmatched in the team.

We can improve a lot as team defensively, you can say that about all our players!

I agree with you. He works very hard offensively. He moves around a lot and with a purpose/intelligence. He protects the ball well and he passes exceptionally well. He is one of my favorite players to watch in the world. However, he does have very obvious flaws. He is absolutely terrible defensively. He will not tackle, he will not go shoulder to shoulder with another player to win the ball. He won't even make an attempt 99% of the time. Also, his shots are below average for such an offensive minded midfielder.

OTOH, you take Özil for what he does really well. There is no point to focus on his defensive weakness. All of you that say he isn't better than KDB at the moment is absolutely right but who is? First of all, KDB is an all around excellent midfielder. Özil is an attacking midfielder. Plus if our only criteria is offensive efficiency, I would take Özil any day. I would argue-somewhat pointlessly as it will never happen- that if Özil played for the City, he would break records as far as assists go. Players around KDB have good positional awareness, they make the right runs, they also have the quality to finish when they get the ball. Arsenal is a different story. Can anybody argue against that? Seriously! I ask everyone to watch Özil compilations. Check out the type of assists Özil provided to his teammates. Check out how many they've missed. It's quite maddening. AND he almost beat Henry's record.

I am not saying Özil is the best in the world. I am not saying he isn't frustrating when it looks like he could contribute a lot more defensively. However when you have the players that Arsenal have, how do you have time to talk **** about Özil? I would point out individual players but what's the point? Özil is poor defensively? What about the players whose main duty is to defend? What about the other midfielders? Xhaka? 64 million for 3.5 years of Özil's wages is a lot? OK, how much Xhaka cost this team? What about Sanchez's contract at Utd. I would take Özil over Sanchez any day of the week. Özil is WC offensively, Sanchez is NOT.

My point is, some of the criticism here is accurate. However, Özil is by far the best player in this team. I think some don't appreciate that fact. I don't think pointing to only things what he does best is fair but ignoring all the amazing things he does at WC level and focusing on his weakness is a sin.

Gunners4life

Definitely Not RonaldoMadness

We can improve a lot as team defensively, you can say that about all our players!

Did I just hear no one works as hard as Özil lol?

What about Sanchez playing for us the last 2 seasons not including this one.

Now that's a proper workhorse

Jae

Did I just hear no one works as hard as Özil lol?

What about Sanchez playing for us the last 2 seasons not including this one.

Now that's a proper workhorse

Sanchez being a workhorse was a myth mate, he had good/solid numbers (distance covered)but nothing outstanding in the context of our team. 90% of his time was spent running after opposition players that he'd just lost the ball to anyway.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Best player on the pitch today, love that he's taking some more responsibility both on the ball, and being vocal about what he wants his teammates to do.

Gooner_girl14

Improved as the game went on today. Was instrumental in two goals (winning the first penalty and the corner for Auba's second), and he put in one crazy through ball that Auba should have scored. Would have been a great assist.

OSBK

Established Member
Thought his overall game was extremely poor. He aint a winger and seeing him in cm and dm getting the ball is useless. Jack had his spot all game and did nothing, when Özil came central late on he played some beautiful killer balls through.

I dont think he is happy as he seems to be playing second fiddle to jack. Also the link up with jack is so poor, jack has it in his locker to play good football but cannot seem to get those 2 to link up well.

Jojoba

Thought his overall game was extremely poor. He aint a winger and seeing him in cm and dm getting the ball is useless. Jack had his spot all game and did nothing, when Özil came central late on he played some beautiful killer balls through.

I dont think he is happy as he seems to be playing second fiddle to jack. Also the link up with jack is so poor, jack has it in his locker to play good football but cannot seem to get those 2 to link up well.
I really don’t know what’s up or wrong with Wilshere. He has been extremely poor since coming back. Got a few okay games earlier on in the season but has been so so average for the majority of the season. He seems to have lost the drive, hunger, passion and enthusiasm for the game. This recent Jack is unrecognisable. May be the injuries have taken their toll together with his current contract saga.. I am a big big Wilshere fan but he needs to step up or look for a fresh new environment elsewhere..

Jae

I really don’t know what’s up or wrong with Wilshere. He has been extremely poor since coming back. Got a few okay games earlier on in the season but has been so so average for the majority of the season. He seems to have lost the drive, hunger, passion and enthusiasm for the game. This recent Jack is unrecognisable. May be the injuries have taken their toll together with his current contract saga.. I am a big big Wilshere fan but he needs to step up or look for a fresh new environment elsewhere..

Just speculating but to me I think the contract situation hasn't don't him any favours and also I think he's had his head turned big England/The World Cup.

OSBK

Established Member

I think position as well, he is a player who thrives on being in the mix and at number 10 he is on the peripheral.

Agree he needa to step up, if he doesnt he will be playing for west ham next season.

HBL

Established Member
Did well when he came into the team initially in December/January but has been poor since the start of Feb, not ideal really.

However, I’d still keep him because he is pretty much guaranteed to have a sell on value of at least £20m so giving him a contract makes sense. He can be a decent squad player, I highly doubt his body is used to playing twice a week, which is what he was doing in his first couple of months back in the starting line up. Plus he will be a handful coming off the bench against tired opponents. However, I don’t think he is a number 10, he has had his best games for Arsenal and England playing in a deeper role.

Would certainly keep him around, makes no sense to release him on a free.

Edit: This was meant to be in the Wilshere thread, I have no idea how I ended up posting it in here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom