• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

It’s not fair to compare Özil playing for arguably the worst Arsenal team ever, to a guy playing for the best team in the country with the most talented players alongside him.

If we want to be fair in our assessment then put Özil in City team with Aguero, Jesus, Sterling and Sane, and then put KDB in our team then let’s talk.

KDB is a quality player, but Raheem Sterling had a better season and influenced far more games than he did...but he’s the media’s unanimous POTY. Poor Mohamed Salah
Elneny is the reason Mo Salah will never get the praise he deserves, not KDB. Must be difficult to be in Elneny's shadow. Happened at Al Mokawloon 7 years ago, at Basel, at the Egyptian national team, and now again in the PL.

Oh_Snap

I wonder. I wish I had a bunch of numbers per game, I'd like to do those sorts of analysis. Even if it's just player positioning per time. If somebody can tell me where to get them. I can make something that can do that ( I think)

The KPI you're looking for is the so called 'packing rate'. Some former ex-Bundesliga players are making analyses for this but i fear you have to pay for this. they introduced it at the Euros, Kroos and Mesut stood out for this. goalkeepers have to be excluded of course since they overplay a lot of players with long range passes.

http://www.impect.com/en/

FreakySami

The KPI you're looking for is the so called 'packing rate'. Some former ex-Bundesliga players are making analyses for this but i fear you have to pay for this. they introduced it at the Euros, Kroos and Mesut stood out for this. goalkeepers have to be excluded of course since they overplay a lot of players with long range passes.

http://www.impect.com/en/
Yes but if I had player movement with respect to time I can make (with a bit of time) an algorithm to calculate it... I'm looking for that data

Last edited:

Gunners4life

Definitely Not RonaldoMadness
I don't know why everyone was so happy when he signed a new contract

Would any other big club have signed him for the wages he's on now? I don't think so

I haven't seen him step up in a big game for a long time.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I don't know why everyone was so happy when he signed a new contract

Would any other big club have signed him for the wages he's on now? I don't think so

I haven't seen him step up in a big game for a long time.

Just hope that contract was based on if we make the Champions League or not. Otherwise, it's the worst contract in Europe.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Muller and Özil rested by Löw and returning to their home teams.

The 2 most valuable Germany players.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Unpopular Opinion: For all of his attacking ability, Özil is a liability defensively.

Yesterday he was literally walking when Spanish players were about 10 yards away from him. Put no pressure on them at all. When Germany were not in possession, Özil was just standing like a spectator and watching the Spaniards running past him. Kroos, Hummels, Boateng, etc. had to do all the defending by themselves every single time. He doesn’t seem to know how to play without the ball.

All the other top class Attacking midfielders (James, KDB, Isco & Eriksen) do their fair share of defensive work but Özil does nothing at all. Not even a slight press!

Also, why doesn’t he shoot?! He had two very good chances and he fluffed them both!

The 2 most valuable Germany players.
No doubt they are both very valuable to Die Mannschaft but Kroos and Hummels are possibly as important if not more than those two.

Gunners4life

Where is the sudden Özil hatred coming from? The man just had two great games for us.

No one hates him. He's a great player but he's not consistent enough for the wages he's on.

He's the second highest paid player in the prem. Is he giving KDB type performances week in week out? No he has 2 great games then goes missing for the next 2 he's not always in the team contributing like the two city games showed despite the entire team being poor.

I also ponder why everyone is so excited he signed a new contract to me it's clear he waited until the very last minute before signing to see if anyone else wanted him for the wages he was demanding and to me it seems like no other big club did.

I want him to improve and be more consistent like he was 2 seasons ago that's a £300k a week player imo.

Jojoba

Özil to Arsenal instead of Madrid in 2010 would've made him into one of the greatest of all time. Mourinho coached the dribbling and directness he still had at Bremen out of him and made him a counter attacking pivot. Now add that back to his game - Wenger would've nver coached it out of him - and he's got everything you want in an atttacking mid along the pure, natural talent for football he's obviousvly got.

At Arsenal and Germany, he's shown he can assist and be a danger in the final third, but he can also drop deep or shift to the wings to pull the strings. De Bruyne, not wanting to take away from his game, but he's not as influential as Özil is on his own in terms of strategically taking over/influencing the rhythm of games. The Belgian is a match winner and game changer, no doubt, he's shown that at Wolfsburg already, but he does massively profit from the players around him at City and he's very much a final third player. Would still be rated as one of the best CAMs, but surely not as the outstanding one as he is now in England, if not for City right now. He's more of an active opportunist, if that makes sense, in that he does rely on other players to take over certain aspects of a game, e.g. to dictate play, whereas Özil has shown he can exactly do that. Which then again puts him further down the pitch, which decreases his output in the final third compared to De Bruyne, but furthers his influence on how games flow. It's not really about assisiting or about creativity and taking that away from Kevin, but I've never seen him run games in the way Mesut has done at Arsenal a couple of times.

It's a bit like comparing oranges and apples in terms of attacking mids, but all in all, I think Özil is the better footballer, who's had the unfortunate circumstance of playing under Mourinho who kinda streamlined him, which, for him at least, was probably the wrong measure.
What the hell? What Özil have you been watching? All those characteristics you mentioned are the same things we have been asking from him since he has been here. Özil dictates games? Influences the flow and KDB can’t? Seriously? All we have heard since Özil moved here is that “Özil is not the type to dominate, influence, dictate a game, take a game by the scruff of the neck etc”.
All of a sudden you are saying that his game or playing style is dominant, controls and dictates play? Am i missing something here?

Last edited:

Jae

Just to put it into context for the people complaining about his wages.

His wages are £350,000 a week over 3.5 years (summer 2021), that equates to £64m. In my opinion he's easily worth that in the modern market.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
The average house price in the UK is £225,000
The average annual wage in the UK is £23,500

He could buy a house every week for 3 1/2 years and still live off five times the average annual wage with his spare change in that same week.

How’s that for context?

Now go and bust a gut out there lad, end of. :lol:

Gunners4life

Özil on his day is easily world class but hang on a sec.

When I watch him live or otherwise I find myself giving him 3/10, 2/10 in many games.

I don't expect him to score or assist every game but when I see players like KDB with his insane workrate I never ever would give him a 3/10 as I see him working his socks off every game trying to contribute. I don't get that with Özil at all he's completely passive defensively.

And he's the second most paid epl Star in the prem.

I don't doubt his quality never have never will he's amazing on his day. But the consistency over this season and the last isn't there week in week out.

The problem is not when he's on the ball but when he's off the ball what does he contribute?

I think he can improve his consistency and I hope some new coaches over the summer can work on that aspect of his game: and I'll be very very happy to have him in our team week in week out.

Jae

The average house price in the UK is £225,000
The average annual wage in the UK is £23,500

He could buy a house every week for 3 1/2 years and still live off five times the average annual wage with his spare change in that same week.

How’s that for context?

Now go and bust a gut out there lad, end of. :lol:

Well there's that, but obviously not the context to which I was referring :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom