• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyChap

Especially in teams like Arsenal and Germany where guys don't just shoot for fun
Come on, Xhaka shoots when the order comes from the fans, and that's fun.
Özil was was the best of a crap bunch.

It’s just become fashionable to hate on him excessively
I don't see the hate in comments after his last game, people are just questioning misleading stats. He was OK in both games and better than most of German players. I was watching the game in Germany and none complained about Özil even when they lost the game, so my question to you is where do you see that hate?

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Imagine supporting Xhaka and hating Özil.
What a strange statement, last time I looked this was an Arsenal forum so Id imagine most on here support and want the best for Arsenal.
If either of those players are not the right fit for the club and the new era coming, regardless of how talented they might be, then they should be sold. End of story.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Being a born and bred Melbournian I am pretty good at the intricacies of AFL football and I normally linger in these parts to get a view from people who know far more about the Arsenal than I do.

And I saw a perfect opening to lose my posting virginity

You came out of the shadows with a bang, I'm excited to see whats next from you :lol:

Welcome to the forums, 10/10 debut keep up the good work!

Stannis

Come on, Xhaka shoots when the order comes from the fans, and that's fun.

I don't see the hate in comments after his last game, people are just questioning misleading stats. He was OK in both games and better than most of German players. I was watching the game in Germany and none complained about Özil even when they lost the game, so my question to you is where do you see that hate?

I’m talking about the media at large, especially the British media, Özil is the face of German defeat regardless of his own performance

Oh_Snap

I’m talking about the media at large, especially the British media, Özil is the face of German defeat regardless of his own performance

yeah some bigger outlets made extra articles about how it was özils fault even tho he was one of their best player against the koreans. barely no1 talks about that kroos was at fault for almost every goal the germans conceded. mesut is the german sterling i guess, if he scores / assists two they're mad he didn't make three...

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

https://www.gmx.net/magazine/sport/fussball/wm/wm-2018-mesut-Özil-legt-deutschland-fan-33034946

"Özil messes with Germany fan" - completely twisted for the sake of attacking a player who's been singled out as a scapegoat for the DFB team right from the Erdogan incident. Özil got verbally abused by a fan when leaving the pitch and just reacted, as it was confirmed by German GK coach Andi Köppke, who pulled Mesut away and told the fan to shut up. But somehow Özil is the bad guy.

https://www.gmx.net/magazine/sport/...if-interview-deutschland-jaemmerlich-33034820

This is Marcel Reif, a complete and utter tool, somehow one of Germany's most revered football "experts"/commentators, but not a clue about the game actually. He blames the Erdogan incident as a distracting factor, then goes on to say Özil didn't get behind the team's goals and was "just bad". Interestingly he and Gündogan again the only players criticized and named - no one names Kroos, Kimmich and Müller who are all among the worst players of the tournament. Also protecting and relativising Löw's mistakes, who's the main culprit.

The whole photo thing has been highly dubious and I don't condemn it, but somewhere this has to end.

blaze_of_glory

https://www.gmx.net/magazine/sport/fussball/wm/wm-2018-mesut-Özil-legt-deutschland-fan-33034946

"Özil messes with Germany fan" - completely twisted for the sake of attacking a player who's been singled out as a scapegoat for the DFB team right from the Erdogan incident. Özil got verbally abused by a fan when leaving the pitch and just reacted, as it was confirmed by German GK coach Andi Köppke, who pulled Mesut away and told the fan to shut up. But somehow Özil is the bad guy.

https://www.gmx.net/magazine/sport/...if-interview-deutschland-jaemmerlich-33034820

This is Marcel Reif, a complete and utter tool, somehow one of Germany's most revered football "experts"/commentators, but not a clue about the game actually. He blames the Erdogan incident as a distracting factor, then goes on to say Özil didn't get behind the team's goals and was "just bad". Interestingly he and Gündogan again the only players criticized and named - no one names Kroos, Kimmich and Müller who are all among the worst players of the tournament. Also protecting and relativising Löw's mistakes, who's the main culprit.

The whole photo thing has been highly dubious and I don't condemn it, but somewhere this has to end.
A much more balanced take here:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...esut-Özil-clash-with-germany-fans-south-korea

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Ridiculous how they revisit the Erdogan thing again, the media made it into a huge deal and if anyone is too blame for Özil being distracted due to Özil simply attending a private meeting then it is the media due to the deliberate storm they tried to and succeeded in creating.

Up until this world cup this case has similarities with English media of past, this year the English media has somewhat laid off the England team, where as before they would create bullshit problems out of nothing just like the Özil incident and then question why the England team are performing poorly.

The media succeeded in disrupting Germany prior to the tournament, not surprised there was underperforming players.

I tend not to be overly paranoid regarding the media, but things like this strike me as very suspicious.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

it sounds as if racism is alive and well among some Germans, but it's not much different in the UK if we're honest

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
it sounds as if racism is alive and well among some Germans, but it's not much different in the UK if we're honest

Definitely. It's one thing to condem a politician and question a football player's decision to publicly affiliate with him, but this is taking dimensions of personal attacks solely on the grounds of migrant heritage - and that's racism.

Generally re: racism alive and well...if one was struggling to understand how most of a country could seemingly accept/blind-eye what was happening here a couple of decades ago - go on Facebook and then you can. People calling for concentration camps and shooting refugees at the border, while a big mass just stands by saying "well, it's maybe a bit over the top, but they sort of have a point". Disgraceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom