• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pikey2000

I don't mind if Emery doesn't like Özil for tactical reasons or whatever. He's the manager and we've lost big players before. I personally think we're going to run into problems trying to keep both Lacazette and Aubemyang happy unless we plan to play two up top but that's for a different thread.

Its the revisionism surrounding Özil that grinds my gears with fans understating his contribution to the club or just downright ignoring how good he has been for us at times.

I'll be honest, outside of Aaron Ramsey, Koscielny and perhaps Cazorla, there isn't a single player out there who has done more for Arsenal Football Club, than Mesut Özil.

It also beggars belief why far inferior players like Xhaka, Iwobi, Cech and Mustafi are defended to the hilt while Özil is criticized to hell and back.

Thats fair enough, he's nowhere near as bad as many make out, on his day is elite but on off days he's invisible, for me the money he is on he should have having a Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Cesc impact on this team 3 out of 4 games but that doesnt seem to happen, maybe i'm looking back on the impact of those players with rose tinted glasses and being unfair, or maybe not, i'm not sure :)

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

:lol: He's a parody of himself at this point but the fact that there's a quote in there leads me to believe that he might have been briefed on this. Logically it makes sense, if you're Emery or the club you'd want a story like this out in the open to insulate yourself from criticism and shift the blame onto the player.

Yeah I see what youré saying , like releasing Alexis running stats even though Wenger used to tell him not waste his energy tracking back .

Reactions: A_G

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

When Emery first arrived he was very much talking up Özil and willing to make Arsenal "his home" during the Germany controversy. My point is Emery tried. Now hes another name on the growing list of managers who I imagined he has disappointed and have had to put up with him.

The guy had the club in an armbar and got some ridiculous contract out of it :lol:
Not that I care, its not my money, but now its harder to not play him and difficult to shift him cause hes so sh*t

As ever, Özil defense force refuse to see this lol

Just like Wenger living off past glories.

Good riddance.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Thats fair enough, he's nowhere near as bad as many make out, on his day is elite but on off days he's invisible, for me the money he is on he should have having a Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Cesc impact on this team 3 out of 4 games but that doesnt seem to happen, maybe i'm looking back on the impact of those players with rose tinted glasses and being unfair, or maybe not, i'm not sure :)

In 2015/16 he directly contributed to 25 goals in 35 premier league appearances. That is pretty much a 3 out of 4 game impact. His productivity did dip to 1.5 out of 4 in the next two seasons to be fair. Vieira, Henry and Bergkamp player in far better teams. As did Fabregas if we're being honest, Cesc had Judas, Adebayor and Henry (for a season or two) to feed. Özil had Olivier Giroud.

Özil has only been on this type of money for the latter half of last season where the entire team was a mess and this season where he has been frozen out after a bright start.

I find it hard to criticize him for not making an impact under Emery when he's hardly played yet has 3 goals and an assist in 11 league appearances. If he was playing every week and doing nothing, I would be right there with you but that isn't the case.

Last edited:

pikey2000

In 2015/16 he directly contributed to 25 goals in 35 premier league appearances. That is pretty much a 3 out of 4 game impact. His productivity did dip to 1.5 out of 4 in the next two seasons to be fair. Vieira, Henry and Bergkamp player in far better teams. As did Fabregas if we're being honest, Cesc had Judas, Adebayor and Henry (for a season or two) to feed. Özil had Olivier Giroud.

Özil has only been on this type of money for the latter half of last season where the entire team was a mess and this season where he has been frozen out after a bright start.

I find it hard to criticize him for not making an impact under Emery when he's hardly player yet has 3 goals and an assist in 11 league appearances. If he was playing every week and doing nothing, I would be right there with you but that isn't the case.

Fair enough, nice to hear someone else's point of view without a tirade of abuse, actually I can see your point yet somehow I still won't be that bothered if he leaves.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Fair enough, nice to hear someone else's point of view without a tirade of abuse, actually I can see your point yet somehow I still won't be that bothered if he leaves.

I wouldn't be that bothered if any of our players left mate (Torreira and Aubameyang excepted along with the kids). I'm not overly attached to this bunch that have failed to make the champions league twice and look on course to do so for the third time.

Emery wants to sell Mustafi, Bellerin, Monreal, Xhaka, Mkhi, Ramsey, Cech, Iwobi, whoever. Have at it boss. I like them but they haven't performed at such a high level that I'd be clamouring to keep them like I was with RVP and Cesc.

I wake up one day and see that Inter Milan have bid 40M pounds for Xhaka and the club accepted the offer. Why should I care or be upset?

HBL

Established Member
We played our best game of the season without Özil though?

I don't think we've looked spectacular in too many games with or without Özil, it's been more about grinding results under Emery so far. Özil hasn't been good enough this season but has he been poor enough to warrant not starting games? Probably not. However, I feel like some fans massively overrate Özil and some fans essentially label him as 'not good enough' when in reality he is probably somewhere in between.

blaze_of_glory

We played our best game of the season without Özil though?

I don't think we've looked spectacular in too many games with or without Özil, it's been more about grinding results under Emery so far. Özil hasn't been good enough this season but has he been poor enough to warrant not starting games? Probably not. However, I feel like some fans massively overrate Özil and some fans essentially label him as 'not good enough' when in reality he is probably somewhere in between.
That first Sp**s was probably the only time we've looked very good without him. And we were arguably even better vs Liverpool where he played a big part.

HBL

Established Member
That first Sp**s was probably the only time we've looked very good without him. And we were arguably even better vs Liverpool where he played a big part.
We definitely weren't better against Liverpool, Fulham was one our best displays this season and we weren't bad against Bournemouth either.

We have 5 wins in 7 games without Özil in the league and 5 wins in 10 with him. I'm sure you'll spin it however you like to fit your argument but the fact is there hasn't been too many games where we've been brilliant with Özil in the side with the exception of Leicester/Liverpool.

blaze_of_glory

We definitely weren't better against Liverpool, Fulham was one our best displays this season and we weren't bad against Bournemouth either.

We have 5 wins in 7 games without Özil in the league and 5 wins in 10 with him. I'm sure you'll spin it however you like to fit your argument but the fact is there hasn't been too many games where we've been brilliant with Özil in the side with the exception of Leicester/Liverpool.
Two of the worst teams in the league there. Look at who we played with him vs not. Two of those losses with Özil were against City and Chelsea at the start of the year.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Well the 2nd half v Cardiff where he drove the attack and Newcastle where he scored the winning goal

HBL

Established Member
Two of the worst teams in the league there. Look at who we played with him vs not. Two of those losses with Özil were against City and Chelsea at the start of the year.
Bournemouth are certainly not one of the worst teams in the league and they're a team which have taken points off us regularly since they've been in the league. Does the team always matter anyway? The performance against Fulham was brilliant.

We drew against Palace and Wolves with Özil, also struggled past Cardiff & Newcastle and certainly weren't convincing against Watford.

HBL

Established Member
Well the 2nd half v Cardiff where he drove the attack and Newcastle where he scored the winning goal

He was good against Newcastle but he didn't really do anything of note against Cardiff, we scored two good individual goals that day.

blaze_of_glory

Bournemouth are certainly not one of the worst teams in the league and they're a team which have taken points off us regularly since they've been in the league. Does the team always matter anyway? The performance against Fulham was brilliant.

We drew against Palace and Wolves with Özil, also struggled past Cardiff & Newcastle and certainly weren't convincing against Watford.
No the team doesn't always matter. But I really don't see us having had better performances without Özil. A lot of struggle in transition and players making the wrong decisions around the box, the two things he excels at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom