• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Emery needs to be backed to sell/buy, revamp the squad as he wishes.

With Ramsey gone I don’t feel a strong connection to any player, I’ll back Emery to do as he wishes this summer.
Rambo was the last of the them. Be exciting to see Emery backed to accumulate funds any way he sees fit, and splosh it all on a handful of players. It'll be a test of his management skills too. Win or learn, they say.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
As soon as you accept that our £400m+ squad can’t get anywhere near City’s £900m+ squad over the long term, the happier you’ll be.

You can stop blaming Wenger, Özil, Xhaka, Emery, Uncle Tom Cobbly or whoever . . . . it’s very liberating and does wonders for stress levels.:drool:
You still blame players for this and that though. Trying to give the impression you're all calm watching our players trip over themselves, when there are Doombar bottles bouncing off what's left of your LG OLED tele.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
I really dont want to move on our players who have actual talent, when half the squad dont possess anything remotely remarkable.

If Özil goes, and iwobi stays, something is wrong.
I think they have almost the exact same production numbers. I don’t rate Iwobi at all, and Özil is certainly a more talented player. But is he really bringing that much more to the table? Factor in his wages as well, and all of a sudden it’s not such a clear argument as to which one should be offloaded.

For the record, I think both should be packing their bags.

Godwin1

Very well-known
but you do actually see how deep mesut drops nowadays? just watch the last game as example (i know you didnt watch it). killer arguments "hur dur who gets so many excuses" arent helping at all and are used to derail any conversation before it starts. the game under emery has changed massivly with his 5 at the back. Xhakas positioning is awful and supporting runs into pockets to create space are not given at all.

4-2-3-1 and Mesut produces good games. Btw. the Brighton game by Numbers was a good game by him.
He has been dropping deeper and contributing to the build up which was one of the criticisms of him for several seasons. He doesn't perform particularly well in this role though.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I literally think he just doesn't trust his teammates. He's trying to help us get out from the back at times he should be contributing in the final third. I agree by the way his numbers weren't good enough this season, and he's very expensive, but i don't believe he's done. It's been a very odd season for him really.

He has deserved a degree of criticism for sure, but our opponents will still fear Ozils name on the team sheet a lot more than Iwobis, mkhis etc..

blaze_of_glory

The above explains a lot about Özil's season. He doesn't get on the ball in the central areas he used to. This is down to how the team is set up to attack. Özil has mostly been involved in trying to set up over lapping runs by the wingbacks (especially on the left) as opposed to playing the final ball into the strikers. Although he himself makes the run in behind at times too.

Said before we have players suited/used to passing through the lines centrally but are playing a system that prioritizes creating overloads on the flanks instead. Özil's tried to adapt his game but he's not as effective in this system.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The above explains a lot about Özil's season. He doesn't get on the ball in the central areas he used to. This is down to how the team is set up to attack. Özil has mostly been involved in trying to set up over lapping runs by the wingbacks (especially on the left) as opposed to playing the final ball into the strikers. Although he himself makes the run in behind at times too.

Said before we have players suited/used to passing through the lines centrally but are playing a system that prioritizes creating overloads on the flanks instead. Özil's tried to adapt his game but he's not as effective in this system.
Exactly. This is an issue with the setup, not with the players.

We should try more combinations, like floated crosses, especially since we have been scoring off crosses nowadays.

Also, it would be nice if players tried to hit the runs of Özil and Laca. Apart from Xhaka, no one seems to try.

blaze_of_glory

Exactly. This is an issue with the setup, not with the players.

We should try more combinations, like floated crosses, especially since we have been scoring off crosses nowadays.

Also, it would be nice if players tried to hit the runs of Özil and Laca. Apart from Xhaka, no one seems to try.
This seems to be how Emery wants to play though. Far more likely he'll just try to get the players he thinks are suited to this type of system than adjust his approach, especially at this point.

It's his team now, have to let him do his thing and see what happens.

Özil says he wants to stay (he's been very loyal and always worked for this team regardless of what some people want to believe) but seems pretty clear the club will be looking to move him on.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This seems to be how Emery wants to play though. Far more likely he'll just try to get the players he thinks are suited to this type of system than adjust his approach, especially at this point.

It's his team now, have to let him do his thing and see what happens.

Özil says he wants to stay (he's been very loyal and always worked for this team regardless of what some people want to believe) but seems pretty clear the club will be looking to move him on.
Hope we get the players of proper calibre, and not some washouts

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I really really really hope that the current playstyle is just a workaround till Emery has his players. That cutbacknonsense became way to predictable and should be used situationally but not as a matchplan.
Do you really think the depth of his matchday attacking instructions is 'lets just get the the byline and cut it back lads!'. I mean, ffs :lol:

Oh_Snap

Do you really think the depth of his matchday attacking instructions is 'lets just get the the byline and cut it back lads!'. I mean, ffs :lol:

"Arsenal play 15 crosses per game. Granit Xhaka and Mesut Özil lead the side in crosses, but Xhaka and Özil take set pieces. Arsenal’s third and fourth leaders in crosses are Sead Kolsinac and Hector Bellerin, who play 2 and 2.3 crosses per 90 minutes respectively, having been 8th and 7th last season, with Nacho Monreal 9th, and playing few crosses per 90 minutes. Clearly, then, there is a greater focus as using the fullbacks as the sole wide players, with the wide midfielders playing narrower, emphasizing the importance of Alex Iwobi and Henrikh Mkhitaryan."

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2019/2/27/18240743/arsenal-bournemouth-tactics-unai-emery-cutbacks

If u substract the few games we don't rely on that tactic, Kolas and the likes numbers even rise. Emery puts a clear focus there. And it's kinda ok to accept if this is used as means to an end.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
all of those Judas would stay if we offered them big money. as much as Özil wouldn't if we haven't given him all that $$
Cesc actually lost money to move to Batca. They all left to win things and most, for wages we couldn't match. Özil's contract is on Gazidis.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We couldnt lose both Alexis and Özil in the same window, it would have been devastated for the club reputation.

We did all we can to keep our most marketable player.
We lost Cesc and Nasri in the same window and I think those players were more important to us. I'm convinced we'd have survived the loss of both even without waste of space Miki as a make weight. Özil's wages should even be an issue as we were promised we could do these deals to compete. We got Xhaka instead of Kante because of wages not the transfer fee. Our reputation is on tatters anyway :(:(

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I really really really hope that the current playstyle is just a workaround till Emery has his players. That cutbacknonsense became way to predictable and should be used situationally but not as a matchplan.
Yeh Im in support of Emery for now because he's done a decent job and it does seem like he's been changing a lot because he's struggling with this group of trash players.

However, if we're attempting to play this inferior style even next season after he gets another window then I'll be extremely dissapointed. It all really depends on how serious we are about getting a winger or two in the transfer market. I hate this inside winger crap letting our fullbacks be our most creative players, its terrible and a mid table mentality.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
5 at the back defensive football.
brazil_2002_world_cup_rivaldo_ronaldo_ronaldinho.jpg

say yes

forum master baiter
"Arsenal play 15 crosses per game. Granit Xhaka and Mesut Özil lead the side in crosses, but Xhaka and Özil take set pieces. Arsenal’s third and fourth leaders in crosses are Sead Kolsinac and Hector Bellerin, who play 2 and 2.3 crosses per 90 minutes respectively, having been 8th and 7th last season, with Nacho Monreal 9th, and playing few crosses per 90 minutes. Clearly, then, there is a greater focus as using the fullbacks as the sole wide players, with the wide midfielders playing narrower, emphasizing the importance of Alex Iwobi and Henrikh Mkhitaryan."

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2019/2/27/18240743/arsenal-bournemouth-tactics-unai-emery-cutbacks

If u substract the few games we don't rely on that tactic, Kolas and the likes numbers even rise. Emery puts a clear focus there. And it's kinda ok to accept if this is used as means to an end.

That is how every top team plays these days ffs. Fullbacks provide width which allows your midfielders to tuck in.

This article isn’t about Arsenal but it’s brilliant about how modern teams play so I’ll share anyway:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom