• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Fighting Until The End

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
No I get that but would you still support the club if we got a Rooney or Stevie G?

Or god forbid a Harry Kane when he retires. Like how do you as a person come to terms with it?

If we appointed a Rooney, Kane or even Jose when we were linked...my gut feeling would be to still hope Arsenal would do well, but I probably wouldn't watch them anymore...it would be too weird for me.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Good stuff from Stillman today.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable

Good stuff from Stillman today.
Good lord we are embarrassing. Arteta and Edu out.

Wounded Healer

you cant extend luiz contract, giving zero chance to saliba, its like intentionally eating a hand grenade.
for me arteta is blind and untalented. a man that turns gold into dust. **** him. i prefer someone real. fraud.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Pass and move, know your pass one or two steps ahead. That's just good football and what we have taught for a good while due to Wenger. His style is a separate thing. Our current players, very few are capable. ESR and Saka do this and it comes naturally because it was coached along with their talent.

Goal two here for example

If the expectation isn't just to get top 4 but to play really attractive football doing it, we're setting the bar too high for any manager given our current circumstances I feel.

The priority has to be to get back in the top 4, purely from a financial perspective. I'm not saying we should start pumping the ball into the box Allardyce style, as you correctly point out there are young players at the club with a high standard of technical ability and that should nurtured.

At the same time though, you don't get any additional points for winning games with flair or panache. I'm not saying our squad is awful or is 10th level but technically it's probably one of the poorer squads we've seen in the last 20 years. We have to play to these guys strengths not try to impose free flowing, one touch football on players who generally aren't that suited to it.

One of the fairer criticisms of Arteta in my opinion is that he's trying to impose a highly technical set up with players that aren't up to that grade. He's trying to play Man City football with Arsenal level players basically. That's a problem.

It wouldn't be any less of a problem to try and play Wengerball with these Arsenal players. A lot of them just aren't up to that technical level either.

Wounded Healer

it also shows the impotence of the people above him. i already said that and i will say it again since David Dein left the club arsenal lost all of its competitiveness and potency, it became soft and confused optimistic with no pragmatism.

scytheavatar

Established Member
One of the reasons I have a more sympathetic view of Arteta is because he seems like he's the only person that's trying to imprint himself on the club.

This may sound silly but what do Vinai, Edu and Josh really believe in or want to do with the club? No-one knows apart from some management level buzzwords. They basically hide in the background hoping not to get noticed or do anything so egregiously bad the fans start attacking them. It's just treading water stuff.

There's no top down direction to the club.

If Arteta gets sacked, I won't like it but fair enough, It would be hard to argue with from a results perspective. Whoever gets the job next will be having to deal with these guys above them too.

This may sound silly but what does Arteta really believe in or want to do with the club? Have non negotiables which end up getting negotiated if you are his favourite player?

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise

Bars for days

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Why does not anyone ask him about Martinelli. I remembered several people were putting pressure on him regards Smith Rowe until he caved.

GDeep™

League is very weak
One of the reasons I have a more sympathetic view of Arteta is because he seems like he's the only person that's trying to imprint himself on the club.

This may sound silly but what do Vinai, Edu and Josh really believe in or want to do with the club? No-one knows apart from some management level buzzwords. They basically hide in the background hoping not to get noticed or do anything so egregiously bad the fans start attacking them. It's just treading water stuff.

There's no top down direction to the club.

If Arteta gets sacked, I won't like it but fair enough, It would be hard to argue with from a results perspective. Whoever gets the job next will be having to deal with these guys above them too.
I see what you’re saying and I agree a little, but he’ll only get sacked if he’s unable to get us on track for European football next season, which is a fair call. I don’t know what more you want?

No manager can finish mid table at Arsenal and then back that up with another poor season. So if he’s poor next season, a sacking is a fair call.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The club has no identity though. My hope is/was that Arteta and Edu would give that, and they maybe still.

But it’s very questionable you dunp Wenger and throw away all he tried to build here. I thought we were going to be the next Ajax, Barcelona, Milan etc, following a model and culture given to us by Wenger with little tweaks here and there.

We’re not developing youth atm, we’re signing older guys, and giving contracts to bums, older guys, friends of agents. We haven’t played good football since Wenger left. Nobody sits in their seat and goes “wow” anymore.

I’m forced to watch games, and that only because I actually like Arteta for some reason, and the young guys.

We have lost our identity. We are now treading water and massively declining, if you look at the history of football, bigger clubs than us have declined and done nothing for 20-30 years. I ain’t got the energy for that.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The club has no identity though. My hope is/was that Arteta and Edu would give that, and they maybe still.

But it’s very questionable you dunp Wenger and throw away all he tried to build here. I thought we were going to be the next Ajax, Barcelona, Milan etc, following a model and culture given to us by Wenger with little tweaks here and there.

We’re not developing youth atm, we’re signing older guys, and giving contracts to bums, older guys, friends of agents. We haven’t played good football since Wenger left. Nobody sits in their seat and goes “wow” anymore.

I’m forced to watch games, and that only because I actually like Arteta for some reason, and the young guys.

We have lost our identity. We are now treading water and massively declining, if you look at the history of football, bigger clubs than us have declined and done nothing for 20-30 years. I ain’t got the energy for that.
Not all the players. I don't like Xhaka and have never been a fan. But we saw him and Torreira dominate and completely outplay Liverpool in Emery's first season. Emery had a worse team than this and was a hair's breadth away from qualifying for the CL.
Our football was dull under Emery for the most part but most fans accepted it because we were getting result. But now we play dead football and our results have been dreadful. There's nothing positive to point to. It's just so ****ing depressing.

Then you have Vinny who's probably the most inexperienced CEO in the league alongside a DOF who has a dodgy
relationship with a shady agent with the most inexperienced manager in the league.

When you consider the fact that they're all employed by one of the biggest club in world, it beggars belief.

The most sensible thing to have done after sacking Emery was to go for a steady hand not a radical move for an inexperienced coach.

The mistake the club made was thinking that sacking Wenger would magically make all our problems go away and the worst part was that they didn't even have a plan for when he left. They started looking for a replacement after he was sacked. A well run club should have been looking for a replacement ahead of time.

It's all just a ****ing mess. Don't even get started on the media guys who keep telling us when we're making progress when every scientific evidence says otherwise.

scytheavatar

Established Member

All of what Wenger was trying to build was already dumped by him in his last few seasons............. we haven't played good football since the second half of 2014/15. You can't dump what that was already gone.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

What youth was Wenger ‘developing’? We’ve got higher quality young players in our first team now than ever before. I’m not talking shyte like Denilson and Bendtner. Or wonder kids like Anelka and Cesc, who we poached.

Last edited:

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
How would you react if Wayne Rooney does amazingly at Derby, creates a new brand of total football and gets hired by us?

You can’t really reminisce on him as a player because he banged in most of his goals against us ffs :lol:
Wouldn't happen. We only hire managers who are at least 6/10 in looks.

GDeep™

League is very weak
What youth was Wenger ‘developing’? We’ve got higher quality young players in our first team now than ever before. I’m not talking shyte like Denilson and Bendtner. Or wonder kids like Anelka and Cesc, who we poached.
Van Persie, Nasri, Ramsey, Ade, Walcott, Song, Clichy, Toure from the top off my head. All came here young and improved, and nearly all left for bigger clubs at big fees.

Thats not including Anelka, because of your daft argument, because technically EVERY signing is “poached”.

Then you got Wenger playing Iwobi who went for a big fee, Wenger giving playing Jack as a kid, Cole etc. I’m sure there are others I missed.

You’re not really going to argue Wenger didn’t sign young and cheap youth/younger players and improved them? Because there is a list who say they owe their career to him, including Henry.

GDeep™

League is very weak
All of what Wenger was trying to build was already dumped by him in his last few seasons............. we haven't played good football since the second half of 2014/15. You can't dump what that was already gone.
Wenger in decline was still better football than most of Europe today.

You could be right but that’s neither here or there, the argument is that the club went 180 from that and I don’t see why.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom