• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

mirrorstare

I agree with parts of your comment, but the issue right now is we are in a mess and have to work our way out of it. The solution cannot be going back to Arsène Wenger, he is probably too old now anyway.

Midtable is unacceptable. Few questions maybe. Did you see the final direction under Wenger of Mustafi, Xhaka, Lucas, et al. as acceptable in retrospect, or maybe that is all blamed on Gazidis? What was the club culture that led to failure to retain Alexis and mismanage Ramsey’s contract? What do you want managerially now - stick with Arteta or change, and to who?

The point is we weren't in this mess, not even under Emery. Being an Auba penalty, a Xhaka/Mustafi single error or whoever else you want to blame (once) away from the CL can hardly be called decline.

- Did you see the final direction under Wenger of Mustafi, Xhaka, Lucas, et al. as acceptable in retrospect, or maybe that is all blamed on Gazidis?

Strange question this, his final direction was the inspired swap that brought us Aubameyang, a player finally capable of wearing the iconic #14 shirt, and telling Theo Walcott to **** off (for me this was like silverware)

Xhaka in retrospect is a mistake, and Mustafi was not the first La Liga defender mistake we had made, but you can also count other piss poor signings like Danny Welbeck, Mohammed Elneny, Gabriel Paulista, Mathieu Flamini the revenge, etc.

You know why that period innocently called banter era at the time is no longer discussed? because Wenger still delivered, getting the best of players like them or enough to meet the objective, but we didn't suddenly become bad at signing players since Xhaka, it was just the player that turned out too limited for him to produce his magic

- What was the club culture that led to failure to retain Alexis and mismanage Ramsey’s contract?
For Alexis, one I actually appreciated, not retaining people that doesn't want to be here even if we end up losing in the deal, which btw for Alexis arguably we didn't, the consequences of that deal were fruitful for us and Alexis lost his edge.

For Ramsey, no club culture thing, it wasn't a secret that the end of the Wenger era would lead to some departures. He wanted a change, we couldn't negotiate and considering how important he was on his final season, it was worth the risk of letting him walk away for free. Remember, we were quite close to a CL spot.

- What do you want managerially now - stick with Arteta or change, and to who?
I'm just unimpressed with both the football we're playing and the way we want to play considering Arteta's background and the good moments we have had. If we're actually going to throw 3-5 years down the drain hoping a manager can build a full team there are plenty of people I'd prefer to Arteta, of course all of them with at least some degree of success in their CVs

To be fair to the club we're not alone in this hire unproven recently retired footballers fad, but eh, what I see now compared to Wengerball an even chaotic Emeryball bores me to tears what can I tell you. It also strikes me as unfair to people with the career experience and without the, hmm, networking skill let's say, but that's not really a relevant thing here

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member
The point is we weren't in this mess, not even under Emery. Being an Auba penalty, a Xhaka/Mustafi single error or whoever else you want to blame (once) away from the CL can hardly be called decline.

- Did you see the final direction under Wenger of Mustafi, Xhaka, Lucas, et al. as acceptable in retrospect, or maybe that is all blamed on Gazidis?

Strange question this, his final direction was the inspired swap that brought us Aubameyang, a player finally capable of wearing the iconic #14 shirt, and telling Theo Walcott to **** off (for me this was like silverware)

Xhaka in retrospect is a mistake, and Mustafi was not the first La Liga defender we had made, you can also count other piss poor signings like Danny Welbeck, Mohammed Elneny, Gabriel Paulista, Mathieu Flamini the revenge, etc.

You know why that period innocently called banter era at the time is no longer discussed? because Wenger still delivered, getting the best of players like them or enough to meet the objective, but we didn't suddenly become bad at signing players since Xhaka, it was just the player that turned out too limited for him to produce his magic

- What was the club culture that led to failure to retain Alexis and mismanage Ramsey’s contract?
For Alexis, one I actually appreciated, not retaining people that doesn't want to be here even if we end up losing in the deal, which btw for Alexis arguably we didn't, the consequences of that deal were fruitful for us and Alexis lost his edge.

For Ramsey, no club culture thing, it wasn't a secret that the end of the Wenger era would lead to some departures. He wanted a change, we couldn't negotiate and considering how important he was on his final season, it was worth the risk of letting him walk away for free. Remember, we were quite close to a CL spot.

- What do you want managerially now - stick with Arteta or change, and to who?
I'm just unimpressed with both the football we're playing and the way we want to play considering Arteta's background and the good moments we have had. If we're actually going to throw 3-5 years down the drain hoping a manager can build a full team there are plenty of people I'd prefer to Arteta, of course all of them with at least some degree of success in their CVs

To be fair to the club we're not alone in this hire unproven recently retired footballers fad, but eh, what I see now compared to Wengerball an even chaotic Emeryball bores me to tears what can I tell you. It also strikes me as unfair to people with the career experience and without the, hmm, networking skill let's say, but that's not really a relevant thing here

Kudos for knowing your stuff. I don’t think anyone here is looking to discard 3-5 years. We’ve had one and a half seasons under Arteta. Hardly anyone will still have patience for him if it comes to November of next season and we are way off Top 6 because of another bad start. There is more urgency, I think to at least get Top 6 next season and Too 4 the season after. More urgency than maybe you think, but in a calm constructive manner.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm not an Arteta hater. I don't think he's the right manager but I don't hate him. Why would I? It's not going to change anything. The club is solidly behind him. My hate wouldn't change anything. He's going to see out the season and he's going to be here at the start of next season at least, with guys like Willian, luiz and Xhaka starting games for us. But that doesn't mean I won't be critical of him.

We have the 6th best squad in the league or at a push the 5th best. We're 10th. There's no way you can sugarcoat it with stats. I have watched every single PL game this season and I know what I saw. Our football is dreadful most of the time (apart from the occasional burst). We've improved admittedly (from bottom table to midtable form) but that's hardly anything to get excited about.

When we win I'll give him kudos (like in the Leicester game). I hope he turns it around but it's unlikely.

Iceman10

Established Member
I'm not an Arteta hater. I don't think he's the right manager but I don't hate him. Why would I? It's not going to change anything. The club is solidly behind him. My hate wouldn't change anything. He's going to see out the season and he's going to be here at the start of next season at least, with guys like Willian, luiz and Xhaka starting games for us. But that doesn't mean I won't be critical of him.

We have the 6th best squad in the league or at a push the 5th best. We're 10th. There's no way you can sugarcoat it with stats. I have watched every single PL game this season and I know what I saw. Our football is dreadful most of the time (apart from the occasional burst). We've improved admittedly (from bottom table to midtable form) but that's hardly anything to get excited about.

When we win I'll give him kudos (like in the Leicester game). I hope he turns it around but it's unlikely.

We largely have two sets of people who are talking across each other instead of at each other in that you use the term “turn things around” while the pro-Arteta people here say there has been an overall turnaround since December, where taking the period from there we are around Top 4 to Top 6, with hope that the bad start to this season can be put behind us and our form will be in line with Top 4 to Top 6 if the supposed step-up (or “turnaround”) is maintained. There is right and wrong with both sides of this, but you do have to acknowledge if that supposed step up since December is true every side except for Man City has been dropping points here and there, but obviously as you follow Arsenal the closest you will be most aware when Arsenal drops points.

Just pointing this out, but until those in support and disapproving of Arteta can talk at each other regarding whether there is some “turnaround” to acknowledge or not, you are just going to be repeating the same points at each other again and again, because you aren’t really listening to each other.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Tbf, he crushed you when he highlighted your 'players fault under Wenger, managers fault now' shift. It's hard to take poster seriously with that level of glaring inconsistency.
Nah, you left before the end of the match, he was choke slammed with this reply.
I’d be happy to blame the players if you and your buddy were holding Arteta to the same standards as Arsène. It was a big factor in why he couldn’t win a title, only spending 5th.

But blaming the players for coming 10th, when you’re spending 5th is beyond laughable. :clap:

Last edited:

Jakarta

Chelsea are ruthless.

I thought they would stick with Lampard out of sentimentality. However, it’s clear to all that hiring Tuchel was the correct call.

Yet here we are supporting Arteta whilst the likes of West Ham/Everton/Villa are putting in a top 4 challenge despite us having better squads than them.

Even look at Leicester, remember how poor they were under Puel? And now look at them two seasons in a row in top 4 contention.

A top manager makes a decent team punch above their weight, and a poor manager makes a good team look like relegation fodder.

Just look at Biesla with limited funds and subpar players...look at the football he’s playing?

If the Arsenal board were serious about being a top 4 club then they should stop this kindergarten act. We aren’t in the position where managers can learn on the job at the detriment of the club.

Tuchel would’ve been perfect for us. Now who else is available? And naa don’t say Allegri, because I want an an attacking manager.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

The journo's and AFTV can't win. The same people calling them **** and 'embarrassing' are now hating on them for trying to be positive and patient :lol: Always when it suits, of course. So transparent and petulant.
AFTV can't win because they have double standards. You can't go absolutely frothing mental at 1 manager for not winning a title, bad mouth another manager for not getting top 4, and then constantly look for ways to be 'positive' about a third manager when he's been far, far worse than either of his predecessors. And don't go on about context because it's a results based business and these guys are on millions.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You know it's bad when even a guy like Jury who was abusing Wenger for finishing 5th is twerking for sitting on 10th place Mikel.
tenor.gif

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Let's be honest, it's pretty obvious Mikel is liked so much and been given so much time is because most are very physically attracted to him. People were Emery out before he even started just because of his teeth.

This is the kind of cruel world we live in atm.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Now I have to sit and read Twitter wanting the over hyped, over paid, bread stick legs Aaron Ramsey back at Arsenal fgs. Fuming today.

Think I'm going to go hunting.

Reactions: A_G

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You know it's bad when even a guy like Jury who was abusing Wenger for finishing 5th is twerking for sitting on 10th place Mikel.
I agree, when the esteemed judges of AM aren’t quite yet rabid anti-Mikel, then yes, it might be worth a thought.

This is simply the Emery situation all over again, with people wanting a manager gone now vs people who just have a bit more patience. All the rest is fluff added for fun and lols. It’s been done. It’s boring.

All said done, the patient lot will win again because the rest will just remain angry and will have to wait and see.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Now I have to sit and read Twitter wanting the over hyped, over paid, bread stick legs Aaron Ramsey back at Arsenal fgs. Fuming today.

Think I'm going to go hunting.

Cockroach hunting is not a thing. Go feed the ducks instead.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom