• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Most overrated Arsenal players

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
With a lot of threads based on our worst,hated squads,top strikers,African players at Arsenal and etc.,the next question is which Arsenal players are or were most overrated in our squad ?

You can pick any players that were in Arsenal.

I'll start with Walcott.

Last edited:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Aaron Ramsey, though he is a very good player.

Yeah,expected more from him when he came to Arsenal.

That leg injury was also big blow for him.Can remember that he was one of the worst players when he was regular starter in 2011/12 and 2012/13.People didn't know why Wenger put him all the time in first 11.Good player,but also with limitations to be rated so highly.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Metresacker. Just too slow for the PL. Good character but not what I would call a great player although many think he was.

Think that our system under Wenger also didn't "allow" some defensive players to show their best.

We used to concede a lot of goals in some big matches when he wanted to play our game.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Koscielny - Average CB at best but Arsenal fans hyped him up

Ramsey - Good midfiedler when he wanted to be but was way too inconsistent

Rosicky - Guy was fragile and injured all the time, dunno why he is some cult hero to Arsenal fans

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Rosicky was good player,but injuries took a lot from him to be fair.Similar to Diaby.They could done a lot more with all their talent.

What is your opinion on Jack ? Overrated or not ?

Vibra

Established Member
No one comes close to Aaron

Except maybe Diaby, it's tragic that he never got to have a normal career but that one game against Liverpool completely changed how he's still looked at

say yes

forum master baiter
Lehmann: cost us far too much, 05/06 season aside.

Koscielny: captain bottler.

Rosicky: beautiful to watch when he was at his best but was sloppy, incredibly injury prone and had zero end product. Didn't really have a position.

Diaby: Most overrated player on this list. Probably because people felt sorry for him over his injuries, he’s a fantastic highlights-reel player, and he was supposed to be “the next Vieira” (despite being nothing like him). Had zero defensive discipline, and was incredibly error-prone. Very sloppy on the ball too: despite his technique he didn’t have the composure, awareness or speed of thought to be much of a passer. Not for me, Clive.

Eduardo: People were listing this guy as one of the top 10 CFs they’ve seen play for us ffs. Another case where having awful luck with injuries massively elevates your status.

Giroud: People actually thought this guy was one of the best CFs in the league. Elite impact player from the bench, but sticking with this guy as our starting CF for so long was one of Wenger’s greatest errors.

Özil: Was outrageously good pre-Arsenal from 2008-2013, but has struggled to perform consistently in the PL. Felt harsh including him given how enjoyable he has been to watch at times, but he’s still treated like a god by many so he’s got to be on here. One top season in seven simply isn’t enough for me, even if Wenger wasted most of those by pairing him with Giroud.

Guys like Ramsey (very good, not world class player with injury problems who doesn’t have a position) and Walcott (awful footballer with great end-product) are rated about right for me.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Lehmann: cost us far too much, 05/06 season aside.

Koscielny: captain bottler.

Rosicky: beautiful to watch when he was at his best but was sloppy, incredibly injury prone and had zero end product. Didn't really have a position.

Diaby: Most overrated player on this list. Probably because people felt sorry for him over his injuries, he’s a fantastic highlights-reel player, and he was supposed to be “the next Vieira” (despite being nothing like him). Had zero defensive discipline, and was incredibly error-prone. Very sloppy on the ball too: despite his technique he didn’t have the composure, awareness or speed of thought to be much of a passer. Not for me, Clive.

Eduardo: People were listing this guy as one of the top 10 CFs they’ve seen play for us ffs. Another case where having awful luck with injuries massively elevates your status.

Giroud: People actually thought this guy was one of the best CFs in the league. Elite impact player from the bench, but sticking with this guy as our starting CF for so long was one of Wenger’s greatest errors.

Özil: Was outrageously good pre-Arsenal from 2008-2013, but has struggled to perform consistently in the PL. Felt harsh including him given how enjoyable he has been to watch at times, but he’s still treated like a god by many so he’s got to be on here. One top season in seven simply isn’t enough for me, even if Wenger wasted most of those by pairing him with Giroud.

Guys like Ramsey (very good, not world class player with injury problems who doesn’t have a position) and Walcott (awful footballer with great end-product) are rated about right for me.

Good post mate.

Think that Lehmann was also kinda weird keeper.He had some decent games and had decent CL run in 2006.But he also made some big mistakes during his time at Arsenal.Still better than all keppers after him.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Hard to say really because peoples opinion on players will differ. Some will claim Aubameyang is on the same level as Aguero and Kane, some thought Koscielny was a top defenders, others thought he was not more than decent.

Without having the time to explain I`d say Aubameyang,Bellerin, Özil, Rosicky,Eduardo and Ljungberg. All of them are very good players and you could argue that Auba, Özil and Ljungberg were great players but I think all of them are a bit overrated among many Arsenal-fans.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Alexis Sanchez. Tremendous footballer, was not a team player and was a bit of a headache in truth. Always looked to come short and looked for the ball, would try to do everything on his own. If he was a bit more of a team player, looked to make more runs in behind then the sky was the limit for him I believe. We were arguably far better in 13-14 than any season with Alexis, in fact the points tallies reflect that. We fell out of the CL despite him having a brilliant season, which indicates that Alexis playing well doesn't necessarily mean it helps the team a lot. For the last 12 months here he was pretty appalling, both his performances and his attitude. The whole saga with him had such a negative effect, I'm sure one of Wengers biggest regrets was not just getting him out the door in the summer of 2017 so we could focus.

Always found the pedestal Cazorla was put on a bit too high but not sure I'd go as far as saying I'd call him overrated. Rosicky fairly good shout.

If I talk about the current lot I could be here all day. Ceballos had a song before he stepped onto a pitch and has been living off two assists against Burnley all season. Torreira one of the most limited footballers I've ever seen. Lacazette I think a lot of people are coming round now but just him winning the POTS award last season means he's possibly the most overrated footballer to have ever put on an Arsenal shirt.

Vermaelen was never any good, 09-10 season he was horrendous but people overlooked it because he was aggressive and got a few goals. Again tho most people sort of ended up realising he was pretty ****.

Alex Song alright in terms of ability a bit of a hard one to fit in terms of a position tho. Not really creative enough to be put as an 8, not really that great defensively to be a good number 6. Arteta was a clear upgrade on him in that role, hence why we didn't really miss him when we sold him with a replacement. Not that our midfield was flawless but we didn't regress when we got rid of Song.

There's a few who're kinda mixed in terms of how they're rated. I'll never take anyone who rates Lucas Perez seriously tho, had alright technical ability, was an alright finisher. But in terms of anything else he was woeful, mid-table football if I've ever saw one. Again another guy who's not really a striker or a winger, a guy who'd play alongside a traditional 9 but then you change formation just to suite him. Similar to Podolski I guess.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Good post mate.

Think that Lehmann was also kinda weird keeper.He had some decent games and had decent CL run in 2006.But he also made some big mistakes during his time at Arsenal.Still better than all keppers after him.

Lehmann had some big mistakes no doubt and that rebound against Chelsea in the CL, getting sent off in the final and giving away the penalty when we won the league at WHL springs to mind. But he was an extremly pro-active and brave goalkeeper. Remember him coming for pretty much every high ball, which is something I really like in a GK. You`ll get the odd mistake but it takes off a lot of pressure on the defenders. It`s something I don`t like with Leno, quite hesitant to come for the high balls.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Lehmann had some big mistakes no doubt and that rebound against Chelsea in the CL, getting sent off in the final and giving away the penalty when we won the league at WHL springs to mind. But he was an extremly pro-active and brave goalkeeper. Remember him coming for pretty much every high ball, which is something I really like in a GK. You`ll get the odd mistake but it takes off a lot of pressure on the defenders. It`s something I don`t like with Leno, quite hesitant to come for the high balls.

Yeah,think that mentality and character was there,but some mistakes made me really angry in game.

You see quality in player,but you would think that in his bad day he can cost own team some points.

But as i wrote for Per,Lehmann played in offensive team,so sometimes we were exposed in defence and he couldn't save all.

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.
Top Bottom