• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

New stadium will be: "The Something Stadium" ... !

Mark

Established Member
Whatever it's called, the fans will give it a nickname. Highbury is officially called the Arsenal Stadium isn't it?

leongsh

Mark said:
Whatever it's called, the fans will give it a nickname. Highbury is officially called the Arsenal Stadium isn't it?

Chances are, the new stadium will probably be called Ashburton Grove by the fans. Take into consideration that we called the Arsenal Stadium by its location, i.e. Highbury. Besides, I think Ashburton Grove is a very nice name. There's a bit of ugly duckling character to that place too - from regenerating a waste dump area to a site for a world-class football stadium.

Jinn

Established Member
The media still call our present ground 'Highbury'. It's more likely that they will use the coporate name of the new stadium. This means people who don't know 'Ashburton Grove' may only know it by the corporate name.

leongsh

Jinn said:
The media still call our present ground 'Highbury'. It's more likely that they will use the coporate name of the new stadium. This means people who don't know 'Ashburton Grove' may only know it by the corporate name.

True. The media will generally be obliged to call the new stadium using the official corporate-sponsored name as Arsenal will request them to do so to protect the interests of the corporate sponsor who has paid for the naming rights.

Any which way, the fans can always call it a different name. It may even become "The <corporate sponsor> Stadium at Ashburton Grove." If there's enough fan support and mention of Ashburton Grove, chances are Ashburton Grove could/would be used as an alternative name.

Canuck

Established Member
I wish we could just call it Ashburton, the locals will prob. shorten it to "The Grove" and that's fine too. But I don't relish the idea of having our own "Reebok (or whatever it will be) Stadium"

But hey, bills need to be payed. It's a business you know.

I'll miss Highbury, even though I've never been there, I've seen enough of it on TV, and every time I drive up Highbury St. in my town it makes me smile and think of the Gunners. :mrgreen:

gunnersgal

i think we should refer to it as ashburton grove still, i dont mind it being sponsered but i doubt i'll be calling it the ___________ stadium as much.

enigma

I wouldn't mind The Nike Stadium maybe for a few years. I'd like it to be known as Ashburton Grove, though.

jonmoody61

I think its most likely going to be The Nike Stadium probably.

Seems most likely in my mind after they signed a 10 year sponsorship deal with us.

Canuck

Established Member
I would just like to call it the Grove. Which is what most fans will prob end up calling it anyway.

Canuck

Established Member
I would place Nike ahead of O2. Of course Arsenal are a private company so maybe they will name it the Arsenal Stadium... :mrgreen:

jeromelee

Jinn said:
jeromelee said:
I think O2's leading the race to name the stadium at this point in time.

Why do you think that?

Well, seeing that O2 and Arsenal have such a good relationship and after reading this article:

http://www.thisismoney.com/20040402/nm76596.html

in particular the last sentence "Knapple said negotiations had not yet started but confirmed that likely sponsors would be in the financial, electronics/technology and automotive sectors. Talks with a telecoms firm would be ruled out because mobile firm O2 is the shirt sponsor of the Gunners. O2 said: 'We would certainly be prepared to consider it."

I's assume Arsenal would be more than happy if it was O2 that turned out to be the sponsor for the stadium. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't mind O2 though.

Jinn

Established Member
Thanks for the link, but doesn't it say: "Talks with a telecoms firm would be ruled out"?

I think it's more likely to be Samsung myself, based on that article and also the previously stated companies in the running.

Wouldn't mind O2 though.

jeromelee

Jinn said:
Thanks for the link, but doesn't it say: "Talks with a telecoms firm would be ruled out"?

I think it's more likely to be Samsung myself, based on that article and also the previously stated companies in the running.

Wouldn't mind O2 though.

It does actually, but I thought since O2 said "We would certainly be prepared to consider it," there'll be a good chance they'd be the ones to go for it.

On another point, I only recently found out that O2 was paying 3m a yr to put their names on the shirts. While 3m's an okay sum, it doesn't really go a long way in terms of helping a team financially. I mean, assuming we take an good players salary (about 75k a week) and times it with 52 weeks (for a year) you get 3.9m. and that's just the salary of 1 player. The naming rights on the shirt at 3m doesn't even cover 1 players salary for a year.

Just a point to note that's all.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom