• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
He could be a deadly player for us. The problem we have now is the same one we’ve had since we signed him. We need him closer to the goal.

When he’s in the box he rarely makes the wrong decision, be it shot or cross. He’s got a wand of a left peg and is a clinical finisher in the right positions. He’ll also win a lot of pens for us too- he’s an unpredictable dribbler.

There are some players you watch and ask yourself, “what are they good at?” “Is he worth persisting with?” I don’t ever ask myself those questions with Pepe.

Fancy him to have a strong end to the season.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Is there a reason why you feel he works better on the counter? I've had a feeling about this guy that he is deadly when he is closer to the goal, so maybe if we could assemble a team that controls the ball 60% of the time would take the best out of him. I just don't see him as a guy who will run up and down all day. The only question is, would it be faster to set the team for the counter attacking football or would it be faster to make some transfers that would give us more control over the game.

Simply because so much of his success at Lille was part of quick counter-attacking front 3, and from what saw early this season.

Your question is a good one, as our squad is a hotchpotch of the two approaches, so we often fall between stools stylistically. Given Arteta's approach its more likely going to be pursuing more control, but still within that we can look to spring Pepe more quickly. Someone like peak Cesc playing those inside the full back balls would allow Pepe to use the other side of his game more effectively

Feels like we are doing a lot to make life better for Pepe.

We focus our play through left side which should in theory open up tons of space for Pepe. Yet he constantly struggle to put his mark on our general play.

Maybe he could become a poacher who score a lot of fancy goals. But as star signing in team struggling with its general play we have to demand more!

lomekian

Essays are my thing

We focus our play through left side which should in theory open up tons of space for Pepe. Yet he constantly struggle to put his mark on our general play.

Maybe he could become a poacher who score a lot of fancy goals. But as star signing in team struggling with its general play we have to demand more!

Sadly though, despite the theory being sound, in practice space isn't being opened up for Pepe because our ball progression through or across the midfield is so slow/ inaccurate. There is space, but by the time the ball makes it there, often the space is gone.

I don't think the team needs to make massive changes tactically to facilitate Pepe, but I do think the right/right-centre side of our pitch not functioning well is impacting negatively on his capacity to influence matters. Of course some of that is his workrate and tactical awarenesss, but until someone in our midfield can learn to play accurate through balls, we're simply not going to see the best of him

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We focus our play through left side which should in theory open up tons of space for Pepe.
We focus the final phase of play on our left side which actually does the opposite. Well that's what we were doing up until yesterday.

Now seems like we are building up on the left side and also trying to finish on the left side too, which is even worse for him.:lol:

Also like @lomekian said, even if we are building up on the left, we aren't switching to the right quickly enough. I don't know why we pass so slowly.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Bellerin is a massive problem for Pepe and the whole team.

He cannot pass or progress play in any way. He's so "stiff" on the ball and has lost most of his pace/energy.

Upgrading on Bellerin is almost as crucial as revamping the entire midfield.
In addition to that it also seems like he's been instructed not to overlap.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Its all fkin excuses for him at the end of the day, you'd swear Aubemeyang wouldn't be twice as deadly as he is if he only got the ball in and around the box, or Saka wouldn't--- yet they sitll manage to create attacks, move the ball and retain possession. Its like we should build our entire play around Pepe getting chances in and around the box, every fkin winger would be 10 times as lethal if they get given the ball in dangerous positions, its the ability to a) get there b) make the most of the chances when you get them that make a top winger/forward.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Look at this rubbish, I counted about 3 times Bellerin could of attempted to play a ball behind their LB and let Pepe run onto but instead he turned his little vegan body and played it back to Mustafi.

EbcqbOyWAAM2Nz9

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He worked harder yesterday and was better with the one touch play and quicker pace. I'm just not sure how he can improve as compared to Saka, he seems quite ineffective. I keep seeing that he needs to be played closer to goal but we can't afford another player with "needs". He's not joined at the best time so hopefully he'll do better next season.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think it is pretty obvious that Hector isn't back to full fitness following his injury. Potentially, he might have lost a step too.

Right now he isn't making enough progressive passes and that is a problem for Pepe, but it is a pretty fixable problem.

I'm sure it is obvious to Arteta that our team isn't balanced right now and most of our creativity is coming from the left. Right now Tierney, Xhaka, Saka, and Auba are arguably our best players and all of them are on the left.

In the last match, Bellerin played too many cautious and backward passes, but this isn't because he is a timid conservative player. Our defense has to be solid first for us to win matches, and players have to get their confidence back as they learn Arteta's system.

Also, Auba's fitness levels and ability to contribute defensively is a big reason why the left side is so dominant. Pepe's work rate is good, but they aren't at Auba levels yet.

As fitness levels increase, and players get more comfortable with Arteta's tactics, I'm sure our production down the right will improve.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Poacher don’t score fancy goals, they do tap in or take simple shots.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Look at this rubbish, I counted about 3 times Bellerin could of attempted to play a ball behind their LB and let Pepe run onto but instead he turned his little vegan body and played it back to Mustafi.

EbcqbOyWAAM2Nz9
You’re not lying. Check this out from the atheletic:

On the opposite flank, Arteta is still trying to get the best out of Hector Bellerin and Nicolas Pepe. Arsenal’s build up play is marred by Bellerin’s tendency to look back inside, rather than play into the Ivorian’s gifted feet. Bellerin played a pass into Pepe just twice in the game, while taking the simpler option of going back to Mustafi 10 times. Concerns linger over Bellerin’s athleticism but on this occasion, it was his decision making that was most obviously at fault.

Smart Saka helping Arsenal’s left shine… now right side has to get up to speed
https://theathletic.com/1894268/202...-0-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

Typical of this forum people just chat sh*t for the sake of it without really watching. Nobody is making life “easier” or making concessions for Pepe some of your expectations are just way out of wack. Most of what Pepe has produced so far has come out of thin air if you really assess his goals and assists so far.

Last edited:

Moah

You’re not lying. Check this out from the atheletic:

Smart Saka helping Arsenal’s left shine… now right side has to get up to speed
https://theathletic.com/1894268/202...-0-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

Typical of this forum people just chat sh*t for the sake of it without really watching. Nobody is making life “easier” or making concessions for Pepe some of your expectations are just way out of wack. Most of what Pepe has produced so far has come out of thin air if you really assess his goals and assists so far.
BuT, hE NeEdS tO sCOre oR aSSisT eVeRY gAmE oUt oF NowHEre.

Corbulo

Nicolas Pépé is playing like a superstar who's in his late 30s. Little energy, little determination littered with the occasional wonder goal, a cracking free-kick or an outrageous skill that would make everyone say how he turned back the clock. Reminds me of Rivaldo at AEK, with the main difference being that Senhor Vitor Barbosa Ferreira had an actual amazing career to fall back on.

This may sound a bit harsh, but I'm not sure there's a rhyme or reason in his dribbling style. It's a bit like dry humping. Just find something to rub up against that’s soft and free of sharp edges, there isn’t a right or wrong technique, it simply feels good.

Mraven

Nicolas Pépé is playing like a superstar who's in his late 30s. Little energy, little determination littered with the occasional wonder goal, a cracking free-kick or an outrageous skill that would make everyone say how he turned back the clock. Reminds me of Rivaldo at AEK, with the main difference being that Senhor Vitor Barbosa Ferreira had an actual amazing career to fall back on.

This may sound a bit harsh, but I'm not sure there's a rhyme or reason in his dribbling style. It's a bit like dry humping. Just find something to rub up against that’s soft and free of sharp edges, there isn’t a right or wrong technique, it simply feels good.

This is what worries me. A £72mill player cannot be excused for lack of service. On bad days, Alexis would work relentlessly to win the ball, bring it forward forward and create something by himself. Not sure we will ever see this from Pepe

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I don't think people should be fixated on his price, everyone and their mother knows we massively over paid for him. He's not actually at the calibre of a 72 million player. Everyone knows that. He'll probably never reach that level. I

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bellerin is a massive problem for Pepe and the whole team.

He cannot pass or progress play in any way. He's so "stiff" on the ball and has lost most of his pace/energy.

Upgrading on Bellerin is almost as crucial as revamping the entire midfield.

Absolutely spot on. This makes AMN's situation more baffling, who is the opposite to Bellerin in this regard. He can play at different angles off both feet, and is really agile. You'd think he is the type of player Arteta would was to pay that inverted fullback role, like Zinchenko at city.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The build up play works down the left as Saka is there. Ceballos is useless. Bellerin isnt actually s bad passer, he was just very bad at opening his body up in order to get it wide quickly. He has never actually played it wide to the right if you think about all of the people he has worked with down that side. He always plays it inside or backwards. He needs a better option inside.

Someone like Nelson could replicate what Xhaka does on the left as he can drift right allowing Pepe infield, but can also cover Bellerin.

Why Arteta is persisting with Ceballos is beyond me. How do you justify playing someone who played 2 passes to Pepe.

lazyfreak

I don't think people should be fixated on his price, everyone and their mother knows we massively over paid for him. He's not actually at the calibre of a 72 million player. Everyone knows that. He'll probably never reach that level. I
I think you need to backread a bit. The way a number of people go on about how he just needs to receive the ball a bit more and/or in certain areas it'll transform his game making it seem like he was a 72M player.

lazyfreak

Absolutely spot on. This makes AMN's situation more baffling, who is the opposite to Bellerin in this regard. He can play at different angles off both feet, and is really agile. You'd think he is the type of player Arteta would was to pay that inverted fullback role, like Zinchenko at city.
Fullback, inverted fullback, whatever... haven't you heard, the f***er doesn't want to play fullback!! And to drive that home, his mom aka MutableEarth has said that "hes a ****ing CM. End of."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom