• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I get what you’re saying but answer me this…the facts of the situation are that Pepe had a very good end to the season with arguably his best performance in a cup final that won Arteta his first ever trophy. Pepe and Willian finished with similar stats that season, Willian was older and more experienced and Pepe the opposite.

Now, if Arteta and Pepe had a good relationship do you really think he would have been so clearly benched for Willian in the way he was? Arteta even talked Willian up as a number 10 or LW option however he came in and took Pepe’s position and kept it until halfway through the season. This wasn’t any sort of fair rotation either, for some reason Willian was the clear, rotation-proof first choice despite never showing any reason to be.

You going to tell me that’s just him trying to manage?:lol:
A manager has to make a choice and I won’t sit here and say he didn’t fancy Willian more. He obviously saw Pepe’s flaws and wanted a more polished, experienced player for the team to build on the FA win and push the club into the top four. Somebody had to be the fall guy and it was ls Pepe. On form and settled, Willian can play almost anywhere so Arteta was only right when he stated he could play 10.

I know you love numbers but making big decisions based on comparable stats for different clubs won’t ever be a factor in tbe real world outside of Football Manager on the PC. Come on lad 😆

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I think Arteta is hesitant to trust young players in away that Emery and Arsène weren’t. He has bought young players but it is not clear he manages them well. Saka was blossoming before his arrival. Even ESR he had to be made to play him out of necessity. Pepe is no longer young but the guy was playing well and getting better when the caps were pulled and he was never given a chance again. The biggest mistake he made last year was not blooding enough youngsters when it became clear the established players were underperforming.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
A manager has to make a choice and I won’t sit here and say he didn’t fancy Willian more. He obviously saw Pepe’s flaws and wanted a more polished, experienced player for the team to build on the FA win and push the club into the top four. Somebody had to be the fall guy and it was ls Pepe
Nobody is questioning that. The debate here was all about Pepe having a fair chance, which is still not clear if he had one with him being constantly rotated or permanently benched, but at the same time, he had a decent amount of minutes.

Arteta made the wrong decision last year and he realized that, and luckily for everyone, Saka could be a long term option with zero investment, but that shouldn't be looked at as Mikel's achievement at all.

I still don't think we have a better forward player than Pepe and the whole situation is just a bad joke from all sides, but I've made my peace with it and will be happy if we can get rid, and look for a CF now that Saka took his RW position for himself

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think Arteta is hesitant to trust young players in away that Emery and Arsène weren’t. He has bought young players but it is not clear he manages them well. Saka was blossoming before his arrival. Even ESR he had to be made to play him out of necessity. Pepe is no longer young but the guy was playing well and getting better when the caps were pulled and he was never given a chance again. The biggest mistake he made last year was not blooding enough youngsters when it became clear the established players were underperforming.
At the same time, it is clear we are shipping out the older guard, so I think we see a nucleus of younger players that will be the future of the club.

Auba and Laca are on their way out, there are not many older players left really. The rest are young/youngish, apart from Partey and Elneny. The latter might not be with us very long either. Leno will most likely be sold as well.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I can't say that Pepe is currently deserving a start over the likes of Martinelli, ESR and Saka tho. But it's still clear he can offer a lot and I still feel he should be involved a lot more especially when we play a lot of games in a short period of time.
A balanced and fair opinion. Rare these days!

Farzad Stoned

At the same time, it is clear we are shipping out the older guard, so I think we see a nucleus of younger players that will be the future of the club.

Auba and Laca are on their way out, there are not many older players left really. The rest are young/youngish, apart from Partey and Elneny. The latter might not be with us very long either. Leno will most likely be sold as well.
True, but it is not clear to me that he manages the young players that well or their minutes. Yes you can point to Saka, ESR, and Ramsdale. But the only one he kind of backed up and predicted was Ramsdale. The others had to overperfom for match time compared to the old underperforming players he was using. The Guendouzi situation also bothers me in that he threw away a promising midfielder for what? Look at what other players have gotten away with and think about your own mentality at 19 or 20 when you don’t have a fully formed conscience or brain even. He also slow rolled Gabriel’s introduction and has now moved ESR to the bench while making Laca a starter in every match.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I can answer this to your face if you want, I’m currently on the A12 going past Newbury Park , I’ll chuck a left and end this
You need to stay the hell away from my sides. 🤣🤣🤣

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If Wally could score 108 goals for Wenger's Arsenal, I'm pretty sure Pepe could have bettered that.

I don't know.

Walcott had his limitations, but his strengths (at his peak) were ridiculous...get the right players around him, and he was a nightmare to play against.

Think he was one of those good players, that just looked worse than he was, because he followed the Highbury teams we had just before him...put him in most teams without our history, he would be one of their best recent players.

Farzad Stoned

I don't know.

Walcott had his limitations, but his strengths (at his peak) were ridiculous...get the right players around him, and he was a nightmare to play against.

Think he was one of those good players, that just looked worse than he was, because he followed the Highbury teams we had just before him...put him in most teams without our history, he would be one of their best recent players.
He was a scorer Theo if he was used properly. His speed changed the way defenses played when he was hot they had to back their line up giving everyone more breathing room. Auba did this for us much better though in his first couple of seasons. The best guy I ever saw breaking high lines in his day Fillipo Inzaghi. The guy ran the hundred in minutes, but somehow was always getting behind the trap.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard

This goal is crazy and not talked about enough. @Trilly @Macho
Most of pepe's best goals end up in losses which then overshadows the goal... Especially this game was the stupid Luiz red card decision which was coz willian Jose trailing leg scraped luiz's knee accidentally and he fell and then moutinho scoring a screamer and then Leno going off as well. So that decision and the loss engulfed this goal.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Think it just comes down to the modern game and modern management. Consistency over peak performances.

Pepe's are just too erratic. Sure you'll get a 9 out of 10 performance every now and against. You'll also get a 3 and some 5's.

You look at players like Saka and ESR, they may not hit the peaks that Pepe can but you rarely get the really awful performances either.

Even when Saka or ESR are having poorer games they often find a way to still contribute something. Pepe's a liability when's he's struggling.

It's fine saying changing the while offensive set up of the team to suit Pepe would help him. It probably would to be fair. But then you look at the competitors to Pepe like ESR, Saka, Martinelli etc can anyone honestly say they wouldn't prefer to build out offensive to get the best out of those 3 given what they've shown?

With ESR and Saka you also have the benefit of them being much more fluid players, they can plug into most offensive roles and do pretty well. Pepe's much more limited in that respect.

I don't think Pepe's a bad player, there's just not really a place for him at Arsenal.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Great goal from Peps.

But Leno's ridiculous handball, then yelling at the linesman for some reason as he was sent off... that's the true bit of magic from that Wolves game

Farzad Stoned

Are we still mourning for this guy?

I'm just worried we won't even get 25m for him this summer....
I am, I think Artera mishandled him and a better manager could of made him a better player and better buy. Some players he seems to give them chance after chance and forget any mistakes. Other players it seems are allowed no learning curve or no lull. He then not only pulls them but basically banishes them. The kid has phenomenal tools and was second best player in France the year we bought him.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Top Bottom