• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nigel de Jong

Floating

Established Member
DiamondGooner said:
Nothing to do with being cheap its because M'Vila is turning out to be a petulant prima donna who believes his own hype.

From what I've read he's going to not answer until after the Euro's so he can whore himself to the football world and drive his wages up basically using Arsenal like Mata and co did last year for the attention and then will choose the highest bidder or go to Arsenal if he doesn't get a better offer.

Quite frankly I don't even want players/mercenaries like that at our club, I'd rather De Jong all day.

How many high profile transfers have there be so far this summer?

So because M'Vila hasn't signed for us before the transfer window is even open, he's a petulant prima donna and a mercenary and a media whore that's somehow "using Arsenal" for attention and money?

All M'Vila has said so far has been that he wishes to leave Rennes but hasn't heard from any clubs and doesn't know where he will go. How on earth is that "using" us to orchestra attention and money?

Complex deals like transfers take a long time, and just because a player hasn't joined Arsenal within two weeks of the season ending, doesn't mean they are "using" us to whore themselves for money. Christ, have a little patience and belief.

Anzac

Established Member
Song 7 goal in about 180 senior games;
De Jong - 11 goals in about 250 senior games.

De Jong had scored as many goals as Song in half as many games when he was at Ajax,
but at Hamburger & City he's been deployed as more of a DM/destroyer.

Accomplished

Established Member
DiamondGooner said:
Nothing to do with being cheap its because M'Vila is turning out to be a petulant prima donna who believes his own hype.
From what I've read he's going to not answer until after the Euro's so he can whore himself to the football world and drive his wages up basically using Arsenal like Mata and co did last year for the attention and then will choose the highest bidder or go to Arsenal if he doesn't get a better offer.

:lol:
This is...quite frankly..one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
Accomplished said:
DiamondGooner said:

:lol:
This is...quite frankly..one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here.

I'm glad your amused.

Have you read his interviews and statements? have you heard he got arrested in a night out because he punched one of his entourage etc?

"Quite frankly" you just sound completely ignorant and are acting like this hasn't happend before, explain to me why this is such an unbelievable scenario in the world of football?

Also clubs and players using the Euro's or World cup to advertise themselves and drive up player prices ..... no, never happens does it?

Floating said:
Complex deals like transfers take a long time, and just because a player hasn't joined Arsenal within two weeks of the season ending, doesn't mean they are "using" us to whore themselves for money. Christ, have a little patience and belief.

Tell you what, let's watch this space and see who's right.

I predict after the Euro's he'll go simply to the highest bidder but to be honest I'm expecting Wenger will have moved on by then interest wise.

I'm glad some of you have so much faith in the principles of the modern footballer .... I however do not.

I never said he should have already signed, I'm questioning his true interest in joining Arsenal.

evoh_1

Established Member
That football and agents these days highest bidder wins end of story, finding qulaity players that don't have agents trying to maximise their value is like finding stardust.

Either move with the times or get moved on by them.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
evoh_1 said:
That football and agents these days highest bidder wins end of story, finding qulaity players that don't have agents trying to maximise their value is like finding stardust.

Either move with the times or get moved on by them.

Well that's it isn't it, the players you guy's want at Arsenal are the some of the most high profile targets in football, so as I'm stating we are likely to lose out on almost all of them.

If we find a player who has a more old fashioned preferance for a club because of what club it is and not simply how many £££ are they going to give me (May as well all go to Anzhi or Man City) then we should be jumping all over that opportunity before other clubs come in and drive up the price.

I'm just fed up of the hoping in vain that goes on around here with the Hazards, Mata's of this world who have all mentioned Arsenal then completely ignored us for a bigger cheque.

I was telling people since last season Hazard's never coming here nor is Goetze, tbh I'm expecting the same with M'Vila, I would at least expect a signal that he was taking Arsenal seriously.

VancouverCanuck

DiamondGooner said:
If we find a player who has a more old fashioned preferance for a club because of what club it is and not simply how many £££ are they going to give me (May as well all go to Anzhi or Man City) then we should be jumping all over that opportunity before other clubs come in and drive up the price.
Gervinho and Podolski say hi.

DiamondGooner said:
I'm just fed up of the hoping in vain that goes on around here with the Hazards, Mata's of this world who have all mentioned Arsenal then completely ignored us for a bigger cheque.
If the news reports were correct, we were not able to meet Valencia's valuation and Chelsea came in to scoop him up. So I am not sure if it was a Mata of him choosing Chelsea only because of money. It may be a case of us sticking to our principle of not paying a cent over our own valuation of a player.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-eye-ac-milan-star-3668619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ar-3668619</a>

ScotVieira

Established Member
Heard that on Sky Sports this morning and I laughed. I just can't see this happening at all. The guy is so far from a Wenger type of player that it is unimaginable.

Buhry

Established Member

Nigel de jong...?

11874-doge-wow-doge.png

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
ScotVieira said:
Heard that on Sky Sports this morning and I laughed. I just can't see this happening at all. The guy is so far from a Wenger type of player that it is unimaginable.

maybe just maybe somebody up there in the boardroom feels this is a good idea, he is cover for defense aswell

didn't he mostly play defense for City?

he isa a type of player we lack and that have cost us. a real see you next tuesday IS needed for our magnificent but frial players

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Anzac said:

De Jong had scored as many goals as Song in half as many games when he was at Ajax,

What does goals have to do with De Jong and our need for a DM signing?

goals will come from the others when somebody can actually reclaim the ball

heck last year we actually got very excited over Flamini, me included, I still like that signing but he is kinda spent IMO, didn't reach all the potential he could and his performance now is just shy of what we truly need

Floating

Established Member
YeahBee said:
Anzac said:

What does goals have to do with De Jong and our need for a DM signing?

goals will come from the others when somebody can actually reclaim the ball

heck last year we actually got very excited over Flamini, me included, I still like that signing but he is kinda spent IMO, didn't reach all the potential he could and his performance now is just shy of what we truly need

You just quoted a post from 2 years ago mate.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
FinnGooner said:
I don't want him. That's all that matters tbf.

well luckily what you want doesn't matter at all :D

what we need is someone who can position himself well and tackle

the individual player matter little but De Jong fits that bill

FinnGooner

Established Member
YeahBee said:
FinnGooner said:
I don't want him. That's all that matters tbf.

well luckily what you want doesn't matter at all :D

what we need is someone who can position himself well and tackle

the individual player matter little but De Jong fits that bill

First of all, I'm a selfish bastard so to me it matters a whole lot what I want. It's all that matters, actually.

Second, de Jong is past it and he doesn't have the passing ability Wenger wants from his "defensive midfielders". He wouldn't offer much more than Flamini so why bother. I highly doubt we're interested and rightly so.

We do need a defensive midfielder but we don't need a grinder with zero creativity and poor pass selection. We need a modern DM like Luiz Gustavo, Martinez, Schneiderlin etc.

No successful team plays with brainless grinders anymore. Martinez, Busquets, Fernandinho, Alonso, Matuidi...
Those are the DMs of some of the bíg teams in Europe. Much more dynamic and versatile than de Jong

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Stats usually only tell half the story but......

De Jong played on average around 60 passes and completed at least 90% of them. On average he completes 10 long balls per game. He has a decent return when it comes to tackles and interceptions too. All-in-all, seems to be a solid DM who is actually good on the ball. His problem must be - like Balotelli - that he plays for a heavily declining Milan team.

EDIT: he also on average commits one foul a game. 9 yellows, no reds. Not quite as hot-headed as often cited, it would appear. Where I see a problem as far as competing with "modern DMs" is that of his passes, very very few of them are of a creative variety. Don't expect De Jong to put too many through-balls, but he is clearly capable of passing the ball at least well enough that we can recycle possession.

Do I want him?

Wouldn't be my first choice (didn't even think of him as an option!) but I'd take him. He also has the ever-precious "PL experience" :lol:

Caz19

MutableEarth said:

De Jong played on average around 60 passes and completed at least 90% of them. On average he completes 10 long balls per game. He has a decent return when it comes to tackles and interceptions too. All-in-all, seems to be a solid DM who is actually good on the ball. His problem must be - like Balotelli - that he plays for a heavily declining Milan team.

I'll admit I haven't watched Milan at all this season, but from what I've gathered from their fans De Jong has been one of their best players (though that's not saying much considering how **** they are)

FinnGooner

Established Member
MutableEarth said:

EDIT: he also on average commits one foul a game. 9 yellows, no reds. Not quite as hot-headed as often cited, it would appear. Where I see a problem as far as competing with "modern DMs" is that of his passes, very very few of them are of a creative variety. Don't expect De Jong to put too many through-balls, but he is clearly capable of passing the ball at least well enough that we can recycle possession.

Do I want him?

Wouldn't be my first choice (didn't even think of him as an option!) but I'd take him. He also has the ever-precious "PL experience" :lol:

If you go with the stats then why bother at all. Arteta's are higly similar but a bit better (although they are not simolar players, are they?). The problem with de Jong is exactly what you already stated. He just gives the ball to the next guy or a log ball to free space without actually creating anything significant. We need a guy who can turn the interception or tackle quickly into attack.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom