• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfer Rumours - Summer 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Re: Non-Arsenal Transfer Rumours Summer 2012

They could do a Porto, i.e. winning as outsider. Some real quality in their team. They do have the winter break disadvantage and probably have the toughest league season, think it's 48 matches.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member

Im just copying and pasting this one, straight from "The Rumour Mill" on the Guardians football page, mainly as its quite a funny story involving everyones favourite Ivorian Right Back.

At this point we should pause to recall a story that Emmanuel Eboué once told a small gathering of journalists in London. As Eboué tells it, with a hearty laugh, when he first arrived at Arsenal, Kolo Touré was extremely helpful and even put him up in his own home for many months, insisting that they stay there every time Eboué suggested it was time he got his own place. Eboué said he was bowled over by his compatriot's generosity … until he found out that the house was owned by Arsenal and that Touré had instructed the club to take Eboué's share of the rent straight out of his wages! The Mill mentions this now because the Turkish transfer window does not close until later today, Manchester City and Galatasaray are discussing a transfer of Touré and the Turkish club's manager has said: "We're interested in Kolo and hope we can ask his former team-mate Emmanuel Eboue for help if we need it ..."

draiocht fianna

Taylor Gang Gunners said:
Just €90M spent from Zenit today then :lol:

Quality players belittling themselves for money, sad sight indeed.

Ahh well!

How are they belittling themselves? Its not like they are off to Qatar.

Russia is the biggest country in Europe and has a good footballing tradition. With the amount of money being ploughed into the Russian game, there is no reason why it shouldn't become one of the dominant leagues in Europe.

Also, given the choice between living in Manchester and St Petersburg
should be a fairly straight forward decision for most young millionaires.

halfvolley

draiocht fianna said:

Ahh well!

Russia is the biggest country in Europe and has a good footballing tradition. With the amount of money being ploughed into the Russian game, there is no reason why it shouldn't become one of the dominant leagues in Europe.

I'd say that having to put up with monkey noises and white power chants from pretty much every arena (including your own fans) is belittling yourself for money in a bad way.

Add to that the loooong flights to away games in ****ing Irkutsk etc. and you have a very unattractive propsition indeed. St. Petersburg is beautiful, but not THAT beautiful. (Yes, I have been there.) Whether or not Russia is a nice country to live in for a young millionaire would depend on a lot of factors, including one's own political convictions I would imagine. Insane amounts of cold hard cash usually goes a long way to loosen up those as well though.

draiocht fianna

halfvolley said:
draiocht fianna said:

Ahh well!

I'd say that having to put up with monkey noises and white power chants from pretty much every arena (including your own fans) is belittling yourself for money in a bad way.

Add to that the loooong flights to away games in ******* Irkutsk etc. and you have a very unattractive propsition indeed. St. Petersburg is beautiful, but not THAT beautiful. (Yes, I have been there.) Whether or not Russia is a nice country to live in for a young millionaire would depend on a lot of factors, including one's own political convictions I would imagine. Insane amounts of cold hard cash usually goes a long way to loosen up those as well though.

The monkey chants exist in Italy and Spain as well. It doesn't legitimise it, but you rarely hear that ''player ABC'' is belittling himself by going there. I'd guess the players write it off as an occupational hazard.

I imagine the flights would be a pain, but aren't the majority of clubs in Moscow and European Russia? The Anzhi players even live in Moscow.

Political convictions and footballers? :lol:

danccm

stoke has offered a 1.5mil contratc for 2 years to Owen so its p to him to decide. On drogba the chinese club still is safe and sound until some thing really happens not some rumours.

eye4goal

Established Member

USArsenal said:
40m for Witsel? wtf are they smoking? and where can i get some of it?

He is a quality player, but its still an outrageous fee. Benfica were probably unwilling to sell after losing Garcia and it had to be something they couldn't refuse(I hear they just paid his buy-out). He was signed for around €7m last season I think

Buhry

Established Member

60 million euros for hulk is an utter joke, never been impressed by him. Cazorla and kagawa for example are better player but cost 1/3 og the price :lol:

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

draiocht fianna said:
The monkey chants exist in Italy and Spain as well. It doesn't legitimise it, but you rarely hear that ''player ABC'' is belittling himself by going there. I'd guess the players write it off as an occupational hazard.

I imagine the flights would be a pain, but aren't the majority of clubs in Moscow and European Russia? The Anzhi players even live in Moscow.

The monkey chants exist in every country of the world, even in Germany there have been such incidents and I'm sure England isn't free of it either. The difference is Zenit fans have a history of being racist ****s, even in Russia where racism among fans is more common they have a reputation for that.

draiocht fianna

jones said:
draiocht fianna said:

The monkey chants exist in every country of the world, even in Germany there have been such incidents and I'm sure England isn't free of it either. The difference is Zenit fans have a history of being racist *****, even in Russia where racism among fans is more common they have a reputation for that.

It will get stamped out there as well. In England the fans of the two Merseyside clubs had a terrible reputation for racism (not that others, our own with its vast anti-semitic repertoire not excluded, didn't have a problem).Liverpool went a long way towards addressing it by signing John Barnes, and Everton eventually normalised as well.

The same will happen in Russia and Eastern Europe.Signing black players will help. Will Witsel and Hulk get abuse anyway? In Spain/Italy they seem to be selective in their racism whereby light skinned/mixed race players like Hulk/Witsel don't get trouble while darker players do. When I heard Chris Samba was off to Russia the first thing I thought was that he will regret it.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Russia is absolutely brutal for dark skinned people. We went to Moscow once for pre-season training and some of my black team mates couldn't walk the streets of Moscow after dark without getting racist crap shouted at them consistently.

Completely destroyed some of them. Even just shopping for snacks etc. they got weird looks from the locals.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

draiocht fianna said:

Ahh well!

They're belittling themselves because both can play in England/Spain and chose to go to Russia. The Russian league is hardly amazing is it? I'm sure a substantial amount of big European teams were interested in both of these players, and had they have bided their time, they would have gotten a big move.

A move to Zenit from Benfica/ Porto isn't a big move. Some would argue its a step backwards. The only thing I like about these transfers is neither players will be going to Chelski/ Yanited whom both players have been linked to.

draiocht fianna

draiocht fianna said:

Ahh well!

They're belittling themselves because both can play in England/Spain and chose to go to Russia. The Russian league is hardly amazing is it? I'm sure a substantial amount of big European teams were interested in both of these players, and had they have bided their time, they would have gotten a big move.

A move to Zenit from Benfica/ Porto isn't a big move. Some would argue its a step backwards. The only thing I like about these transfers is neither players will be going to Chelski/ Yanited whom both players have been linked to.

meh, the importance of having to play in specific countries is over-rated.While England/Spain might have the two strongest leagues you wouldn't blame a player if he went to Bayern instead of to Valencia, or to Juventus instead of Newcastle.

Your reasoning would probably be that the player will have a better chance of winning stuff at Bayern/Juve than he would at Newcastle/Valencia, and that he is likely to earn more money.

Thats why I mentioned Qatar. It would be footballing **** if a player in their prime went there. At Zenit you're earning top dollar playing in a league with a decent standard for a club that is strong enough to compete at the top end of European football.

Would you be confident of beating Zenit if we drew them? I wouldn't.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Over two legs certainly, could be a bit tricky at their place with their diabolical excuse for a pitch, but we'd have too much for em at the Emirates.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

Dokaka said:
Russia is absolutely brutal for dark skinned people. We went to Moscow once for pre-season training and some of my black team mates couldn't walk the streets of Moscow after dark without getting racist crap shouted at them consistently.

Completely destroyed some of them. Even just shopping for snacks etc. they got weird looks from the locals.

You should try being white and walking around South Africa.

It just makes me sad but glad at the same time that I live in Europe.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

DJ_Markstar said:
Dokaka said:

You should try being white and walking around South Africa.

It just makes me sad but glad at the same time that I live in Europe.

Surely you're not comparing the situation in a third-world African country with a history of Apartheid for nearly 100 years with the situation in a European country?

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

What'll be Zenit's strongest eleven with Witsel and Hulk now? Bet they look strong with Denisov in midfield as well.

Bossa

Established Member

THunter said:
What'll be Zenit's strongest eleven with Witsel and Hulk now? Bet they look strong with Denisov in midfield as well.

I think something like

Malafeev
Anyukov Alves Lombaerts Criscito
Denisov Witsel
Hulk Shirokov Danny
Kerzhakov

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

jones said:
Surely you're not comparing the situation in a third-world African country with a history of Apartheid for nearly 100 years with the situation in a European country?

Seriously? You're debating this with me? If you want to debate this then PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom