• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfer Rumours - Summer 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Re: Non-Arsenal Transfer Rumours Summer 2012

That Zenit team on paper looks good, with Spalletti coaching them they can reach QF of UCL

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

Clrnc said:
That Zenit team on paper looks good, with Spalletti coaching them they can reach QF of UCL

I think you mean the CL :p

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Hehe, edit it quickly before draiocht fianna freaks out. ;)

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

DJ_Markstar said:
Clrnc said:

Huh? I don't get it.

Anyway anybody knows why is Russia so racist? I don't get it. They are even racist against Asians.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

I was just referencing a silly debate between Draiocht Fianna and Irish_Owen in another thread, just a bit of light hearted fun. Had no idea DF has been demoted, though...

dave_rwr

Established Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1152727/zenit-in-discussions-to-transfer-nani-from-united?cc=5901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ed?cc=5901</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zenit now looking to get Nani and Moutinho.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

Clrnc said:
DJ_Markstar said:
Clrnc said:

Huh? I don't get it.

Anyway anybody knows why is Russia so racist? I don't get it. They are even racist against Asians.

communism and the subsequent detox can be taxing

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

No wonder Poland was like that as well

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Communism turns you racist? Oh dear... :lol:

@Clrnc, you'll find that countries where overt racism is rampant are usually countries with no significant percentage of immigrants, meaning a very low share of the population with a differing ethnic background. Also, underdeveloped educational systems and a poor eonomic situation help a lot in creating xenophobia, since there are always some ****heads who are racists, but you'd need the masses to be dumb to create a larger following.

dave_rwr

Established Member

jones said:

@Clrnc, you'll find that countries where overt racism is rampant are usually countries with no significant percentage of immigrants, meaning a very low share of the population with a differing ethnic background. Also, underdeveloped educational systems and a poor eonomic situation help a lot in creating xenophobia, since there are always some ****heads who are racists, but you'd need the masses to be dumb to create a larger following.

Uh... Yea, communism and racism are often linked actually. One of the strongest ways to build collective nationalist tendencies is to create an us vs. them mentality within the population so the "us" has a common goal and threat. Often times, the "them" are those that are visibly different because it just makes the process easier.

Of course this isn't within the "pure" definition of communism, but it's certainly a strong component of the practiced forms that we've seen.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

dave_rwr said:
jones said:

Uh... Yea, communism and racism are often linked actually. One of the strongest ways to build collective nationalist tendencies is to create an us vs. them mentality within the population so the "us" has a common goal and threat. Often times, the "them" are those that are visibly different because it just makes the process easier.

Of course this isn't within the "pure" definition of communism, but it's certainly a strong component of the practiced forms that we've seen.

Unless you can be racist towards capitalism, communism doesn't create racists.

Racism flows freely in the likes of the US, France, Greece, Japan, South Korea and so on.

If anything, communism teaches you to value people for people, not for their potential profit.

Floating

Established Member

I love a good sociopolitical discussion, but we are wayyyy off topic here, gents. :wink:

dave_rwr

Established Member

Just because communism can be linked to racism doesn't mean it's the only place racism stems from. And it's not communism specifically that causes racism, but the conditions and psychological states that are associated with communism that can foster it.

But Floating is right, off topic.

mistaT

Established Member

Facism fuels racism far more than communism.

But like Jones said, homogeneous populations (Japan is a classic example) are those that often lead to racist behavior.

The Escaped Ape

mistaT said:
Facism fuels racism far more than communism.

But like Jones said, homogeneous populations (Japan is a classic example) are those that often lead to racist behavior.

I love the way people are dropping Japan in as a casual example, when there is none of the explicit racism here that is being referred to in Russia. Sure, the homogeneous population means that there's a considerable amount of ignorance and that does sometimes manifest itself in casual racism to certain races, but it's not at all as bad as is being painted here. Japanese maltreatment of foreigners in the legal system for example is not racism, it's distrust of outsiders and doubt they can fit into Japanese society (a subtle, but important difference). However, in public life, for the most part, Japan is no more a racist society than most western countries (i.e. some problems, but not predominantly so) and certainly not in the sense of abuse being directed at foreign competitors in sport - lots of examples of that not being the case now, whether in baseball, sumo or football.

Russia's problem in part stems from the militarisation of society (conscription, military seen as symbol of nation's prestige and strength), the ethos of the state actually being pretty right-wing despite the period of communism (strong state most important thing, projection of this often presented as being win-lose confrontation with other states), the historically low level of immigration meaning there is little integration, the immigration that there has been in part from areas of the world where Russia's problems come from (e.g. Chechnya with the extremist Islamic terror attacks that have hit Moscow and other Russian cities) and a very strong tradition of nationalism that predated Communism, infused the Communist era despite the ideal of equality bound up that doctrine, and even now continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom