• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nottingham Forest

Gooner83

How did Forrest go from winning the Champions League, to bottom of Division 1.

Did they have money trouble, bad money management?

Mark

Established Member
It's really scary, it could happen to any team. I think it was down to bad management and previous managers spending too much on average players, but I'm not sure.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Forest were a little team that had a good run under Brian Clough when he was at his peak, but kept him on for far too many bottles of whisky.

As for QPR - they are just a (old) 3rd division side who had a look at the top league and have returned to their rightful place.

JazzG

Established Member
Must of been one mother of a run if they won the european cup 2 times on the trot! Villa won it a year or 2 after as well, WTF!

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Brian Clough, Jazz, Brian Clough. As a manager he was gold dust for ages and really should have been England manager. He also won the league at Derby and took them to the European Cup semis!

JazzG

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
Brian Clough, Jazz, Brian Clough. As a manager he was gold dust for ages and really should have been England manager. He also won the league at Derby and took them to the European Cup semis!

He was a real charactor as well wasn't he. Do you remember when he punched that Forest fan coz he came onto his pitch, then afterwards the fan had to kiss Clough on the cheek, hahaha that cracked me up :lol:

seanconvey66

Yea that bloke is a living legend!!!!!!!! As for Forrest i think David Platts got a lot to do with there poor position now as he spent alot of money on average players, thus leaving the pot dry, but owing loads on transfer fees and wages

lewdikris

Established Member
Clough is the best manager this country's ever produced. The guy was a ****ing genius in every way. But he stayed on too long. And Forest never found a way of replacing him... Shame, I always liked em. They were very promising last year, but it all seems to have gone to **** this year. A lot of very good young players came through their academy (Jenas etc.), but they were either bought off by bigger clubs or didn't respond to the manager, Paul Hart, who got them out there in the first place.

seanconvey66

They sold off all the crown jewells and tried to bring in others who werent as good. Also injuries to Johnson, and Dawson have cost Forrest dear this year, with them fit all year they would easily be in mid table at least

beaney

what a fall from grace!

Cloughie was a legend though wasnt he? he used to crack me up!
so straight talking, he didnt give-a fuk did he!?!?

look at Norwich now too, they were a decnet team a few years ago. they were in Europe.
not quite the same as Nott forest but still.......

My first ever live game at HIGHBURY was against Notts County. Where are they now?

Alexone234

Norwich were like a great title contender to United for the EPL early years. But lets look at Leeds and see this happening now. Winning the league, Champions League football, Team of Stars.......skint, going down, never coming up again.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Norwich look like they will be in the premiership next season though. Leeds look like following Sheff Wed into division 2.

satan_beckham

kaids said:
Norwich look like they will be in the premiership next season though. Leeds look like following Sheff Wed into division 2.

it looks very likely as clubs like forest and Sheff Wed are even bigger than leeds in their hey days and yet still became like that..

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Norwich??? Big club??? Carrot crunchers more like.

Even Leeds, they're only a big club in their own mind. Apart from the late 60's/early 70's they've never amounted to much.

Forest may have been successful, but even then they were no where near being a 'big' club. Just visitors to the top league.

Sheff Wed WERE a big club, and are probably the only example of a 'big' club mentioned here.

AFCG7

Established Member
Wednesday were a big club.. probably would still be a big club if they were in the premiership...
ABout Clough tho.. he was a great manager.. looking at the players he had from memory .. Neil Webb, the 3 Garys - Parker , CHarles, Crosby, Roy Keane, Stuart Pearce , Nigel Jemson .. cant remember anymore but that was a very good young team and they were playign very well together

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom