• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's a warrior. Never has his head down for too long and always comes back fighting. He's as dependable a player as we have in our squad at the moment so definitely is on to keep around. There's literally no benefit to selling him.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Would be disappointing if he accepts the bench role for a second season.

Certainly better than that. Find a manager that wants a target man.

Not too concerned about bench strength when the first team ****.

CHOPS

I don't think he's that bad he's six goals or so away from scoring 100 in all competitions for the club about twenty a season that works out,plus he's had his fair share of niggling injuries.

OSBK

Established Member
My worry is that whilst we have giroud (benched or starting) wenger will not look at top attackers.

No doubt giroud has been value for money but wenger will not go out and buy a pea/lewond if he has giroud still here.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I like Giroud, but he's the biggest loser in our squad.

Terrible footballer too.

He isn't a "terrible footballer" though, he's a very good footballer who is being completely misused.
He was just a terrible choice for this system (which we are completely unwilling to compromise), put him in a more direct team with wingers, crosses and midfielders/forwards who run beyond him and he is as good as anything.

mm76

Yer Da
He isn't a "terrible footballer" though, he's a very good footballer who is being completely misused.
He was just a terrible choice for this system (which we are completely unwilling to compromise), put him in a more direct team with wingers, crosses and midfielders/forwards who run beyond him and he is as good as anything.

I think he's done the best with himself that he can but ultimately even when he's presented with good chances he misses way too many - that's his number one job and he's just not good enough at it

In a team of such varying performances we'd still be doing better if we had someone who actually put most of their chances away

i don't think he's really at the level we've put him at. I really wonder how many other clubs even in the PL would have him as first choice.

Wenger's picking of him in some games over people like Welbz, Lucas and even Walcott has been plain embarrassing - even Lincoln City made him look ordinary ffs

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I think he's done the best with himself that he can but ultimately even when he's presented with good chances he misses way too many - that's his number one job and he's just not good enough at it

In a team of such varying performances we'd still be doing better if we had someone who actually put most of their chances away

i don't think he's really at the level we've put him at. I really wonder how many other clubs even in the PL would have him as first choice.

Wenger's picking of him in some games over people like Welbz, Lucas and even Walcott has been plain embarrassing - even Lincoln City made him look ordinary ffs

I don't think he particularly misses alot more chances than say an Aguero or even a Suarez at Liverpool, it's just he gets alot less because of the way we play (we create f*ck all these days) combined with his limited movement.
Andy Cole used to miss heaps of sitters yet still end up with 30 goals a season because United created so many chances, Cavani also, no striker is going to put away every chance.
Also unfortunately the ones he does miss tend to be big/important which exaggerates the issue.

mm76

Yer Da
unfortunately the ones he does miss tend to be big/important which exaggerates the issue

you say that as though it's somehow nothing to do with him - sorry, he needs to put more of those away - and i'm not sure those others missed the same amount statistically tbh

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Giroud is the antithesis of Alexis - one tall, powerful and static, the other small, bustling and quick

their use should depend on the opposition's style of play, and Wenger does not always get it right - but Giroud needs Özil to get his goals, in the absence of Cazorla, and if both are still here and playing next season I expect more goals from Ollie

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I've seen some far out radical thinking in my time but this well I can't believe nobody before has thought you know wed be better if someone actually put away most of their chances.

Giroud is a good player for us. If we can upgrade him we should. But unless a stupid offer comes in we should still keep. He is as good a plan b for us as anyone else.

mm76

Yer Da
I've seen some far out radical thinking in my time but this well I can't believe nobody before has thought you know wed be better if someone actually put away most of their chances.

Giroud is a good player for us. If we can upgrade him we should. But unless a stupid offer comes in we should still keep. He is as good a plan b for us as anyone else.

sarcasm will get you nowhere

you where saying that all strikers miss chances and i was just saying that actually they score when it counts - for as long as Giroud's here he will get games ahead of other more deserving players - he's not good enough for Arsenal

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

sarcasm will get you nowhere

you where saying that all strikers miss chances and i was just saying that actually they score when it counts - for as long as Giroud's here he will get games ahead of other more deserving players - he's not good enough for Arsenal
It's got me this far. It obvious that we all would prefer a more regular goal scorer who scores in big games and leads us to trophies. Unfortunately we aren't paying the money to attract a player like that so we need collective responsibility. To a point we have done that very well. Our problem hasn't been scoring, we're one of the top scorers in the league, but from the top six we have the second worst goals against record. We need a defence that works as a unit way more than we need a goal scorer who scores more than he misses. Our goals record is more than fine domestically.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I've seen some far out radical thinking in my time but this well I can't believe nobody before has thought you know wed be better if someone actually had a defence that works as a unit
Touché sir.

Saying that I feel our solution is more internal for the defence and something t that can be easily addressed by minor tweaks. You're asking us to spend upwards of 50m on a player. That's not likely to happen. Also not likely we will tweak the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom