• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Shame he couldn't head the ball half as well for us as he did for France yesterday, that Bayern miss sums him up.

I think it is really difficult to find a striker who gets one chance and scores it. Aguero missed two cut backs vs Monaco resulting in them being knocked out of the Champions League, yet he will still maintain a majority opinion of him being clinical.

Now if you played Aguero up front and crossed the ball into his head repeatedly in a match. How many chances would he convert?

Giroud is clearly a limited player. However I don't think that anyone can argue about his aerial ability. How many chances do we create for him to score with his head in every game we play? One maybe? How many goals does he score where he needs to score a very good header in order to score? Probably most of them? How many chances do we put on a plate for him to header at close range. None that I can remember.

We are team not suited to his strengths. Our crossing from wide areas and deliveries into the box from set pieces are shocking. We don't have anyone in our squad who can whip a ball in like the one he scored vs Luxembourg and what is even worse is if we did, they would be instructed not to.

karl

I wouldn't get too excited about strikers at Arsenal; it is the defence that will make the difference if we can get it right.

That season ending 2014 , Suarez and Sturridge scored 55 goals between just the two of them and still didn't win the league.

skip spence

I don't think he particularly misses alot more chances than say an Aguero or even a Suarez at Liverpool, it's just he gets alot less because of the way we play (we create f*ck all these days) combined with his limited movement.
Andy Cole used to miss heaps of sitters yet still end up with 30 goals a season because United created so many chances, Cavani also, no striker is going to put away every chance.
Also unfortunately the ones he does miss tend to be big/important which exaggerates the issue.
Agreed. Always thought he was a very good finisher. Not great, but very good. And this season he's been almost freakishly clinical, he seems to score on just about every chance he gets. People who expects/demands him to score from just about every decent heading opportunity in the box are either ignorant or just waiting for a chance to rip into him. Aerially he is, quite objectively, one of the best in the game and he usually connects really well with his left foot too, even from tough chances. His right foot isn't that bad either.

Nah, his finishing is good, problem always was that he doesn't create enough for himself, being quite sluggish. Still rate him ahead of any other striker at the club bar Alexis, and I think Giroud should play more, not less.

Last edited:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
err, i do... he often gets outjumped by people a foot shorter than him, that's if he gets around to jumping at all, and how many times has he missed sitters by heading wide?

*Edit* (Link corrected.)
http://arsenalist.com/f/2016-17/ars...-olivier-giroud-s-header-is-over-the-bar.html

I'll never forgive him for this miss. Ever.

Sad thing about it I wasnt in any way surprised. One of the most groundhogs day aspects of these last handful of seasons is Giroud missing a huge sitter in a big game and then the opposition going down the other end shortly after and scoring. We then fall apart. Rinse and repeat season after season.

Last edited:

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Is there hint of a resurgence in the Great Giroud War?

Need something to fight over now that Wenger has signed a contract., anyways.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

InvertedFootballer

Giroud is the only hope in the squad

The english core is a joke, I love Rambo but deep down I know he can't be defended. Cech, Kos, Nacho are declining, Cazorla is done, Xhaka and Mustafi aren't proving their worth, Özil and Alexis seem fed up, Lucas came here to get injured, Bellerin is off to Barca if he actually becomes good.

So when we end midtable next year our consolation will be watching this guy lifting the world cup.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Giroud is the only hope in the squad

The english core is a joke, I love Rambo but deep down I know he can't be defended. Cech, Kos, Nacho are declining, Cazorla is done, Xhaka and Mustafi aren't proving their worth, Özil and Alexis seem fed up, Lucas came here to get injured, Bellerin is off to Barca if he actually becomes good.

So when we end midtable next year our consolation will be watching this guy lifting the world cup.

Wait...... why the freak would anyone care about any of our player lifting the world cup? Why not care about him lifting the premier league trophy instead?

mm76

Yer Da
I d

Don't blame him for that miss at all good defending preventing him getting a decent header in!

you're joking of course :lol:

that sums him up - no pressure from defenders, just pure dreadful timing, dreadful aim and didn't get up high enough - inexcusable

karl

Only Arsenal fans could spend their days complaining about a player that scores an average of 20 goals a season over 5 years. It is pitiful when there are much more deserving case for criticism in this team.

He cost us £12m and has a great attitude. He is probably our best defender at corners too. Where else would you get that kind of value.

BobP

Memri Fan
Only Arsenal fans could spend their days complaining about a player that scores an average of 20 goals a season over 5 years. It is pitiful when there are much more deserving case for criticism in this team.

He cost us £12m and has a great attitude. He is probably our best defender at corners too. Where else would you get that kind of value.

Spot on, there have been players who have cost more but scored **** all before being shipped.

Can think of Soldado off the top of my head.

mm76

Yer Da
the point is that he doesn't score sitters when he really needs to - e.g. that Bayern goal - plus he's being treated by Wenger as a first-choice striker but he isn't - he's good as a supersub or to play against a side with a strong and tall back four, but it's Wenger's insistence on acting like he's so much better than he is that's frustrating.

it's ludicrous that people like Welbeck and Perez get sidelined, plus Sanchez gets very few chances to play in the middle, just because Wenger thinks Giroud's so f*****g important

karl

From what I have seen this season, Wenger has treated Alexis as his first-choice striker in the middle. It is just that Sanchez chooses to drift all over the place. Nobody ever said Giroud didn't miss chances, but what sets apart the best players is that they don't let those misses affect confidence. Ian Wright was perfect in this way.

Much though I like him, Welbeck is not someone that ever looks likely to score 20 goals in a season; check his record. I too would love to see Perez, but Arsène seems not to want this.

If Arsenal decide to upgrade on all these options I will be cheating as loud as anyone else, but until then Giroud represents a good option and most likely to be here and score next season.

say yes

forum master baiter

I'm assuming the corners bit is a joke so I'll leave that, but what's the 'great attitude' bit based on?

He's the laziest forward in our squad, rolls around at the slightest touch, has a tendency to pick up stupid bookings/reds and continually bottles big moments.

This the same footballer who cheats on his wife in the early hours of the morning rather than resting the night before a big game? Who cups his ears to the fans when we've just lost the title to ****ing Leicester because he scored against Aston Villa?

This guy?!

giroud-one-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

I'm assuming the corners bit is a joke so I'll leave that, but what's the 'great attitude' bit based on?

He's the laziest forward in our squad, rolls around at the slightest touch, has a tendency to pick up stupid bookings/reds and continually bottles big moments.

This the same footballer who cheats on his wife in the early hours of the morning rather than resting the night before a big game? Who cups his ears to the fans when we've just lost the title to ****ing Leicester because he scored against Aston Villa?

This guy?!

giroud-one-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

And that is just 1/4 part of the story about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson
Top Bottom