• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pause for thought.........this Sunday

alonso14

Established Member
It was a bright, sunny, spring morning when I set off over the Pennines that seperate Lancashire and Yorkshire........Life couldnt be any better, I was 20.....happy, good job, lovely girlfreind, good freinds and family, healthy and my beloved football team were the best in England (probably Europe but we would never know), and were about to take on our old nemises Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup Semi Final in Sheffield....A repeat of the season previous......In fact, the only doubt at the back of my my mind was what had happened at that game...We were given the smaller Leppings Lane Terrace despite having a 25,000 larger average attandance than our opponents, apparantly because it was easy to seperate the fans as they would come off at different motorway junctions. This meant that Forest would have the Kop....the largest terrace in English football at the time...I was in a central pen, and it was obvious that there were too many fans and there was a huge crush....some people passed out, others were lifted into the seating area above by concerned fans...

Oh well, I am sure the police and stewards will have learnt the lesson form the season before....

We set off really early.....My Dad is a stickler for this and it can grate on my nerves at times...I mean, we set off at 10.00am for a 90 minute journey and a 3pm ko......Bloody good job that we did as the road works on Snake Pass meant we only arrived at Hillsborough at 14.00....Not even enough time for a drink........

I wasn't too concerned as I was sitting down this time, i had decided that sitting next to my Dad was better than standing with last seasons propblems at the back of my mind....I gave my Leppings lane ticket to my mate Scott....who was just made up to have a ticket as he didnt qualify......

It was just after the teams left the field after the warm up when I noticed something was amiss...looking directly at the Lppings Lane terrace you could see that three pens were packed and were over capacity....but the pens at the side were virtually empty...certainly enough room to walk about.......My mind went back to last year, it was exactly the same then.....

You see when you entered the Leppings Lane turnstiles, you are greeted with a tunnel ahead of you...and your instict is to go through it, where you end up at the back of the terrace directly central to the goal.......you wouldnt even know you could walk around the sides as there is nothing or no one advising you to do so.

Then two things shook me from my thoughts......The teams came out and the game kicked off....However I was taking no notice of the match...I was barely aware that Peter Beardsley had struck the bar with our first attack, and at almost the same time I noticed a huge surge in the already full terrace.......My heart leapt and I felt sick.....how did that happen? what has happened to the barriers? What has happened to the people at the front.? At that point my Dad grabbed my arm and pointed to the front of our stand and someone slummped against an advertising board......"isnt that your mate Stuart" he asked.....and it was

I ran down to the front..he was breathless and white as asheet.....he had been pulled out of the terrace behind the goal......his words sent a chill through my bones "Dave...there's ****ing carnage in there......I dont know whats happened but people are dying....I am telling you....and i don't know where our kid is".....Paul, his brother, was 3 years younger than Stu (about 17) and alot smaller......He was directly in the middle of the carnage

In the back ground the players had left the pitch......it was obvious to everyone that something major was occuring, and this was no time for football to be involved....

We wandered onto the field.......looking, searching behind the high, pointed fences to see if we could see Paul.........we didnt see him.....but what we did see will haunt me forever......

Faces, on top of faces........gasping for air, eyes bulging, losing any fight that they had in there body..........these people were dying....I was so scared I urinted in my jeans.....

Fortunately both Paul and my mate Scott eventually turned up safe and well)

we tried to get people out by climbing onto the railings to try and get people out..we managed a few....one lad was thrown clear and he landed with such a thump i thought he must be dead...miraculously he survived with the aid of a police office giving him mouth to mouth....There were thousands of Liverpool fans doing this....while many police offices stood and watched, or threatened people for removing the netting as THE ambulance (some 15 minutes after the disaster had occured) entered the field......Some police were heroes however, but the majority......

We ferried injured and dead up the field to a makeshift 1st aid area....all thre while there were police with dogs on half way line seperating fans from trouble.....Not that of course there was ever going to be...Forest fans at first thought we were kicking off....they realised that this was far from th truth and stood in shocked silence as the dead and injured were ferried past them to the 1st aid area.......What made the Police adopt this tactic I dont know.....Same goes for the refusal to open emergency exit gates at the front of the terrace, and of course to make the decision to open the exit gate in the first place, allowing thousands of fans to surge in , after kick off, straight through the tunnel I mentioned earlier..into an already full football terrace............Then lie about it and say we kicked it open...only to re tract this later......

I lost two very good freinds that day...i never saw them die....but Inever saw them again.....However I will always have happy memories of the times we spent at the match........I went to three funerals in two days............AM / PM / AM

I lost my job, my girlfriend (we are still mates but the pressure it put on us eventually ended us, however if it wasn't for her I may not be here now).............My Dad was a mess for years.......

But I was one of the lucky ones..........

So when you are doing whatever you have planned this Sunday, 15th April......at 15.06 (UK time).....please have a second and remember those who went to a football match and never came home

John Alfred Anderson 62 Thomas Howard 39
Colin Mark Ashcroft 19 Thomas Anthony Howard 14
James Gary Aspinall 18 Eric George Hughes 42
Kester Roger Marcus Ball 16 Alan Johnston 29
Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron 67 Christine Anne Jones 27
Simon Bell 17 Gary Philip Jones 18
Barry Sidney Bennett 26 Richard Jones 25
David John Benson 22 Nicholas Peter Joynes 27
David William Birtle 22 Anthony Peter Kelly 29
Tony Bland 22 Michael David Kelly 38
Paul David Brady 21 Carl David Lewis 18
Andrew Mark Brookes 26) David William Mather 19
Carl Brown 18 Brian Christopher Mathews 38
David Steven Brown 28 Francis Joseph McAllister 27
Henry Thomas Burke 47 John McBrien 18
Peter Andrew Burkett 24 Marion Hazel McCabe 21
Paul William Carlile 19 Joseph Daniel McCarthy 21
Raymond Thomas Chapman 50 Peter McDonnell 21
Gary Christopher Church 19 Alan McGlone 28
Joseph Clark 29 Keith McGrath 17
Paul Clark 18 Paul Brian Murray 14
Gary Collins 22 Lee Nicol 14
Stephen Paul Copoc 20 Stephen Francis O'Neill 17
Tracey Elizabeth Cox 23 Jonathon Owens 18
James Philip Delaney 19 William Roy Pemberton 23
Christopher Barry Devonside 18 Carl William Rimmer 21
Christopher Edwards 29 David George Rimmer 38
Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons 34 Graham John Roberts 24
Thomas Steven Fox 21 Steven Joseph Robinson 17
Jon-Paul Gilhooley 10 Henry Charles Rogers 17
Barry Glover 27 Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton 23
Ian Thomas Glover 20 Inger Shah 38
Derrick George Godwin 24 Paula Ann Smith 26
Roy Harry Hamilton 34 Adam Edward Spearritt 14
Philip Hammond(14 Philip John Steele 15
Eric Hankin 33 David Leonard Thomas 23
Gary Harrison 27 Patrik John Thompson 35
Stephen Francis Harrison 31 Peter Reuben Thompson 30
Peter Andrew Harrison 15 Stuart Paul William Thompson 17
David Hawley 39 Peter Francis Tootle 21
James Robert Hennessy 29 Christopher James Traynor 26
Paul Anthony Hewitson 26 Martin Kevin Traynor 16
Carl Darren Hewitt 17 Kevin Tyrrell 15
Nicholas Michael Hewitt 16 Colin Wafer 19
Sarah Louise Hicks 19 Ian David Whelan 19
Victoria Jane Hicks 15 Martin Kenneth Wild 29
Gordon Rodney Horn 20 Kevin Daniel Williams 15
Arthur Horrocks 43 Graham John Wright 17

One last thing......One of the lads we managed to throw over from the terrace, by the back of his jeans, I cradled in my arms until a St Johns Ambulanceman arrived to administer the kiss of life.....He was pronounced dead there and then......his final words were for me to make sure his Mum and Dad knew that he loved them...........They did and do, and I ensured that his last wish was acted out......It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but that was nothing compared to what his parents were going through...

As I said...I am the lucky one...

stuart

Established Member
Again, thanks for that mate. As i have said a few times recently there are so many more important things in life than football. Life, of course is the most precious thing of all, it is a sad thing that so many lost theirs when such small measures could have been taken to prevent it.

alonso14

Established Member
it is when you go to the memorial service, which I will be attending on Sunday, and they read out each name one after each other...and it takes 10 minutes.....that the enormity of what happened hits home

Kenny Dalglish and Jamie Carragher are doing the readings this year

alonso14

Established Member
thats the point.........

however it is amazing (or maybe not) how many people around 20 yrs of age know little of what happened...

I forget that they havnt lived through it....even some of our own fans

Tony Montana

Established Member
Wow Alonso.

Great read. I know you knew people who died but I didn't know you were so involved. I wouldn't dare want to know what it's like to have someone die in your arms. You must get nightmares of some sort. I didn't realise so many people died. And some people were so young; 10 years old being the youngest i think.

As for terracing. What do you think? I know Liverpool fans would object to the idea because of what happened but some people say it was the stupidity of the Police and from your story, giving the Kop to the Forest that were the main causes of the disaster. Would you bring Terracing back?

RC8

Established Member
Thank you very much for the write-up. Once again a brilliant piece of work, about one of the most tragic days in the history of football.

That's such a hard situation to imagine. I can't quite figure out what that was like.

As for the terracing. Don't you think that such a situation could simply be avoided with safe-standing, or by removing the fences?

alonso14

Established Member
Standing is such an immotive issue.......

If you can put yourself in the shoes of someone who lost a son or daughter you would be against it wouldnt you..

From a personal perspectibe, I am not opposed to standing per se.....for me it that debate is irrelevant to Hillsborough...What caused that disaster was the legacy of policing football fans which went back decades.....and the introduction of fences

coupled wiht totally incompent policing and you have the root causes of what happened that day

it isnt just me who says the police were to blame.....Lord Cheif Justic Taylors report puts the blame at the door of West Yorks Police

The fact is that could have hapopened to any club at a number of grounds......It was coming but people in authority were too blind to see it

If you could have safe standing like in Germany, and it would mean cheaper tickets I would be for it..We have a different animal now...

However dont hold your breath.....Why would Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Newcastle and the like cut there revenue to accomodate fans at a reasonable price? They wont while they sell there stadia out.......

As I said I am ok with it...

alonso14

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
Wow Alonso.

Great read. I know you knew people who died but I didn't know you were so involved. I wouldn't dare want to know what it's like to have someone die in your arms. You must get nightmares of some sort. I didn't realise so many people died. And some people were so young; 10 years old being the youngest i think.

As for terracing. What do you think? I know Liverpool fans would object to the idea because of what happened but some people say it was the stupidity of the Police and from your story, giving the Kop to the Forest that were the main causes of the disaster. Would you bring Terracing back?

Jon Paul Gilhooley...10 years of age.......how would you get over that as a parent? He went to a football match with his Dad and didnt come home???

****ing hell......

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
When I first heard about it,I could not believe it, if only it went ahead at Arsenal but no Arsenal was seen as not safe.
Wish I know how to put it into words.
It must be the sadest day in history of sport
I can not even imagine how it must of been for those there or their families and for anyone who lost loved one there

YourFriendPaul

Thank you, Alonso. It can't get any easier remembering that day, no matter how much time passes. You may have been one of the 'lucky ones', but not without cost. To share your own experience with us is commendable.

We talk and talk, on and on, about the minutia of all things football- who's coming, who's going, what colour the kits should be, etc. But it's things like this, which should bring us *all* together, and provide some serious perspective, on just how lucky we all are to be here, each and every moment...

invisibleman18

Established Member
Thanks for that Alonso, and sorry I have only just seen it.
Reading it actually made me cry. It's hard to comprehend when you read an account of someone who was so involved like that.
We will not forget.

alonso14

Established Member
Weds 15th April will see the 20th Anniversary....and the fight for justice continues.

20 years...it only seems like yesterday....

At 15.06 on the 15th April, please spare a thought for those who went to a football match, but never returned

I dont post alot these days due to time and family constraints, but I know that those of you who remember will not forget

Cheers Dave

alonso14

Established Member
there was a very interesting article in the Observer magazine a few weeks ao that focused on 5 different stories of people affected by the disaster...there was a survivor of the Leppings Lane....Ann Williams, whose son died and is stil fighting for justice in the courts today...a player (Peter Beardsley)...but there were two that really gripped me.....

There was a widow whose husband oommitted **** a couple of years ago....he suffered from Post Traumatic Stress and his life was ripped apart because of the tragedy....hung himself....his daughter found him....It was really powerful stuff and heartbreaking obviously. As someone who suffers myself and had a breakdown about 14 months ago I could empathise with the story being told....horrific

and then there was an ambulance-man....his story was probably the most eye opening in to the issues surrounding the events that day.....And the failure by the authorities that not only led to the disaster itself, but the cover up and lie's told after and the ridiculous assupmtion that all the dead suffered there injuries before 15.15 and that no one could have been saved after........this stopped any enquiry looking deeply at the policing and the fact that only one ambulance was allowed on to the field when 44 ambulances were outside and were not allowed in because "they are still fighting"

anyway....

Wembley79

Alonso,

I extend my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this tragedy.

I was at work, and had wangled a long lunch to watch the game live, and so watched the disaster unfold.

When I realised what was happening, and could see the fear and anguish of the poor victims, I found myself crying - I was 22 years old at ths point, and worked in an intensively male "jack the lad" environment. The abiding memory of that day was watching supporters ripping advertising hoardings off to use as stretchers, and the sense of helplessness and despair.

I have remembered this date and time every year since, and will continue to remember. My Birthday is the 18th April, so the date is very poignant for me as well.

I will be going to our home game on teh 15th, and would be interested to know what we have planned in teh way of rememberance prior to kick off, so that I can take part. if anyone on here knows, please either post here, or PM me.

beck

Established Member
hello alonso[dave]
i,m so sorry to hear that up until recently you were still suffering effects of that wretched day. i,m sure that you will always carry it with you and that whilst sad is also very healthy as you are keeping alive the memorys of people that were lost that day.
as a human being my heart reaches out to you and if words of comfort can help i offer you loads.
the people that died and lost loved ones live on in you and your family
you have no need for guilt and recriminations.
your remembrance is enough.as a lover of football in general and arsenal in particular i will be thinking of you and hope that the support of the football community helps beck[mark]

alonso14

Established Member
beck said:
hello alonso[dave]
i,m so sorry to hear that up until recently you were still suffering effects of that wretched day. i,m sure that you will always carry it with you and that whilst sad is also very healthy as you are keeping alive the memorys of people that were lost that day.
as a human being my heart reaches out to you and if words of comfort can help i offer you loads.
the people that died and lost loved ones live on in you and your family
you have no need for guilt and recriminations.
your remembrance is enough.as a lover of football in general and arsenal in particular i will be thinking of you and hope that the support of the football community helps beck[mark]

Thanks Mark

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom