• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Penalties against Arsenal

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

After yet another home game where our opponents got a penalty, a few stats were posted online showing how many pens we get given against us compared to our rivals.

The Burnley and Sp**s ones were good decisions, I'd say the Xhaka one against Stoke was as well but the Bournemouth penalty was a shocking decision. I've seen fouls like the above happen at our rivals (Chelsea/Hull yesterday) and nothing is awarded.

We had a clear penalty against Burnley, not awarded, we had a clear one away at Sunderland not awarded, our players seemingly need to get booted in the face to get a penalty.

Cech Hull
Cech Sunderland
Koscielny Sp**s
Monreal Bournemouth
Xhaka Bournemouth
Xhaka Stoke
Coquelin Burnley

Most of those are penalties I'd say. What I don't understand is, we're not THAT bad at the back, they're not all 100% pens and yet because it's soft Arsenal, they get given. To concede 7 penalties in 22 games is a lot, you're telling me that sides at the bottom don't foul as much as us?

Penalties For/Against in the PL this season:

Chelsea 2/1
Arsenal 5/7
Sp**s 6/2
Liverpool 6/4
Man City 6/2
Man U 1/3

Oh, and just for a laugh:

Last edited:

Tom9

Even the Burnley decision was not clear cut. Reason I say that Coquelin clearly kicks him but doesn't trip him and the player takes a tumble so that the ref has to give it. I don't have a problem with that but you can't give a decision like that and not give the Mustafi trip where it is clear as day that contact was made resulting in Mustafi to fall over under the weight of the challenge.

I swear most penalty decisions given are ones where a player hasn't really been interfered with whereas the ones where their is clearly a trip or the defender has his opponent in a head lock are missed.

The state of refereeing in the Premier League is ****ed and something drastic has to happen in order to fix it.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I don't really care about soft penalties if it's according to the letter of the law. What I can't live with is the eagerness of the refs to give anything against us, yet the restraint they show if it's a penalty for us. Everton away, Alexis gets hacked down in the last minute, stone cold pen, ref has a perfect view, nothing. Sunderland away, Alexis burns the sunderland cb, who pulls him back, no argument about it, nothing.

Last edited:

Ewarwoowar

We've had a couple of soft pens awarded us this season so I bare it more than I bare the fact we might get lumps kicked out of us(some pretty dangerous too) all game, yet few yellows(until the dying embers) almost zero reds, yet the moment we do some "Retaliatory"(big emphasis on that word) Handbags(and that one) the refs act like we murdered some kittens.

Our injury phenomenon can half be explained by little protection from sides that have come to do such things!

CJJ

Established Member
I feel that these things evens out over time. I might be inclined to agree that we're not given as many penalties as we should, but that's the same for all the "bigger" clubs. We will always have a harder time getting a penalty.

In terms of penalties against us, then we're not being treated unfairly. We're simply making * decisions around our own goal, and i hope its a trend we'll stop asap.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
In context all of those decisions were correct calls, from what I can remember anyway. We had a clear pen turned down for Mustafi but were gifted one with Koscielny offside at the end so we can't complain about the Burnley game anyway.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
No point using decisions that other teams get in their favour as a barometer either. If it's a pen by the letter of the law, then it's a pen. Whether there's a bias is another discussion. All we can do is cut out the stupidity.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

The fact that penalties seem to be the oppositions only route to our goal at the Emirates is a welcome improvement & speaks to our robust defence at home. Yet it remains a mystery why the same personnel are jittery when playing away from home & give away the softest of chances.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

No point using decisions that other teams get in their favour as a barometer either. If it's a pen by the letter of the law, then it's a pen. Whether there's a bias is another discussion. All we can do is cut out the stupidity.
Why though? Hull had a clear pen yesterday that would have been given against us, that's not feeling sorry for ourselves, it's true. Is it the **** atmosphere of the Emirates? Refs feel no pressure against us IMO.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Why though? Hull had a clear pen yesterday that would have been given against us, that's not feeling sorry for ourselves, it's true. Is it the **** atmosphere of the Emirates? Refs feel no pressure against us IMO.

I think that absolutely comes in to it, we've seen so many games where the opposition crowds clearly get to the ref. Especially in Europe.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
United only got 1 penalty for them in Old Trafford ? IMPOSSIBLE !! I refused to believe this!!

Ewarwoowar

I think that absolutely comes in to it, we've seen so many games where the opposition crowds clearly get to the ref. Especially in Europe.
Arsenal v Leicester Feb 2016,, first half saw Atkinson trying to fulfil the FA fairytail wet dream of pushing Leicester toward the title, with a dodgy penalty for them and easy yellows for us though Leicester were the aggressors by far, by the time the end of the first half was nigh the boos and the renditions of you don't know what you are doing rang out so loud that the second half saw a role reversal of everything going against Leicester including Danny Simpson got sent off for a nothing challenge, tho other Leicester players could have walked much earlier.

I have never heard before Arsenal fans be so vocal in challenging the stewardship of the game and it worked, so yeh kind of agreeing with you. miracles can happen.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Watching this season, I think out of the top 6, and I could add Man City to this category too, referees seem to be officiating our matches to the letter of the law. Xhaka in particular has suffered from this. If you look at the penalties we've conceded at home, I'd say half of those wouldn't have been called on average if it was say Tottenham or Chelsea or United. I agree that to the letter of the law, all of them are PKs (except Bournemouth) but when you watch Walker shove Sterling, blatantly in the box denying a goal scoring opportunity and you think to yourself - "if that was Bellerin doing so, what would the outcome be", you better believe it would have been a PK and red card to boot.

You see Rojo commit a foul so heinous on the pitch yet get away with it, but Xhaka executing a less serious/aggressive action, is giving his marching orders without hesitation. Again, no problem with Xhaka's red card, those type of challenges need to be stamped out but when you see what players get away with it, where's the ****ing consistency? For example, where the **** has the "Xhaka rule" gone? That magical new rule we were all told about to justify his first red card vs Swansea? It's ****ing bullshit, that's what it is. I have seen half a dozen similar or worse attempts at breaking up play which have resulted in either 1. A yellow; or 2. No card at all.

It's just all so, so inconsistent.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Watching this season, I think out of the top 6, and I could add Man City to this category too, referees seem to be officiating our matches to the letter of the law. Xhaka in particular has suffered from this. If you look at the penalties we've conceded at home, I'd say half of those wouldn't have been called on average if it was say Tottenham or Chelsea or United. I agree that to the letter of the law, all of them are PKs (except Bournemouth) but when you watch Walker shove Sterling, blatantly in the box denying a goal scoring opportunity and you think to yourself - "if that was Bellerin doing so, what would the outcome be", you better believe it would have been a PK and red card to boot.

You see Rojo commit a foul so heinous on the pitch yet get away with it, but Xhaka executing a less serious/aggressive action, is giving his marching orders without hesitation. Again, no problem with Xhaka's red card, those type of challenges need to be stamped out but when you see what players get away with it, where's the ****ing consistency? For example, where the **** has the "Xhaka rule" gone? That magical new rule we were all told about to justify his first red card vs Swansea? It's ****ing bullshit, that's what it is. I have seen half a dozen similar or worse attempts at breaking up play which have resulted in either 1. A yellow; or 2. No card at all.

It's just all so, so inconsistent.

It is not inconsistent if certain several clubs aren't punished while others are. It's corrupt

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Yeah I don't think there are any conspiracies, we might get the occasional ref who might let some personal feelings impact them but for the most part it's pure ineptitude.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Let's not become like United/Liverpool fans.

There's no bias or corruption here. Most of the big decisions given against us have been correct.

We've lost 2 games because of clearly wrong decisions.

City 1 or 2 offside goals.

Everton - the corner that lead to their winning goal was a wrong decision, and Alexis was hacked down in the dying minutes.

I think it's very important we highlight the mistakes of the referees.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom