• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pennant starts talking sense...

lewdikris

Established Member
link me!

Ok, I can never make up my mind about JP. Some weeks I think he's lame and just a ****-talker. Some weeks I think, yeah he could be brilliant, bring him back. Frankly, I just don't know.

But at least he's talking sensibly - possibly for the first time in his career. There's no doubting the (still unfulfilled) potential, but it's all in the head with the kid - if he keeps talking (and more importantly thinking) like this, and showing it in the most vital games of Leeds' history, there's still a chance for him.

Soler

Established Member
"I'll be playing for Leeds on Friday and my focus will be to do well for them and try and get three points," he said."

You better bloody not.

Chips&CurrySauce

That was an enjoyable read. Hopeflly he really has matured and decided to concentrate on his football. In my opinion he definately has improved as the season has progressed. People sometimes don't realise how difficult it is to play in the premiership, when you are young and have had no first team experience. I think he defiantely has the ability to make it, for me its a question of desire and attitude! Time will tell, hopefully he'll have a bad game tomorrow though!

kNiteMare

Pennant plans to show Arsène Wenger how much he has developed as a player and as a person when he goes back to Arsenal with Leeds tomorrow night.

Not much has changed this year as far as i can see. But at least he is starts talking sense. Maybe he is getting desperate. Imagine, he thought he would have made the first team for sure because he 'was' the most expensive teenager, so he would think he earns everything. Maybe he starts to see the bigger picture after his seasons at Leeds. Still, whether he has really learnt or not is waiting to be seen.

At the moment i am just as confused as you are.

kNiteMare

"It's tough at Arsenal. You look at the Arsenal midfield, and it's full of experienced international players like Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires and Silva and that makes it difficult to force your way in.

Where's edu and freddie? Or even Wiltord?
They are better than him atm surely.

Sol man

I hope he comes back and does well 4 us. It is still a position that we lack dept in (considering freddie is always injured, Ray is getting too old, Wiltord is leaving and Gilberto is not a winger). As for this weekend I hope he flops.

A

Anonymous

hope he does really well this weekend and really impressed, so long as we still get the 3 points.

Legend#1

Established Member
clockend_faithful said:
hope he does really well this weekend and really impressed, so long as we still get the 3 points.

Me too, I'm a big fan of Pennant's footballing skills and I hope he comes back and does well with us

gooner#1

Sol man said:
I hope he comes back and does well 4 us. It is still a position that we lack dept in (considering freddie is always injured, Ray is getting too old, Wiltord is leaving and Gilberto is not a winger). As for this weekend I hope he flops.
I was thinking this just as I read Lewdikris's thread.

Gunner4life09

i hope he has really learnt from his mistakes and what he says is true, as for the game i hope he puts on a really great performance but arsenal still getting the 3points. i really like pennant, i don't know why. i hope he has learnt to be more responsible and mature so he can come back next season and really put up a fight fot RM.

lewdikris

Established Member
One thing I would say is that the talk about Wright-Phillips is pretty pointless when Pennant's still an Arsenal player. Mini-Wrighty has improved dramatically this year - but at 2 seasons more first team experience than Pennant I don't think he's that far ahead in skill, but only in application. There's no reason Pennant couldn't be at that level in 2006 if he gets his commitment right.

KingReyes

Established Member
clockend_faithful said:

Totally agree. As Lewd said there are times when you say that he's got no chance and other times when you say and hope he does make it. I for one hope he does. Its a position where we need strengthening and its nice to see that his Attitude is improving.

Hope he has a good game against us and we still get the points.

Chips&CurrySauce

You're right Lewdikriss about Shaun Wright Phillips. W P has had far more experience than Pennant, however I strongly beleive that Pennant has far more natural ability. However SWP desire is second to none, he has that tenacity thant Pennant lacks. I think Pennant has to add this drive and determination to his gme inorder to make it at Arsenal. Obviously the jury is still out on this one.

patrick42uk

Established Member
pennant will be up against the inexperienced gael clichy on friday. while a more talented player like c.ronaldo will make that inexperience show (like he did at villa park), i'm convinced clichy will have him in his pocket. Personally, i dont think he has stood out enough at leeds. the decision is wenger's though.

jay-d

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
pennant will be up against the inexperienced gael clichy on friday. while a more talented player like c.ronaldo will make that inexperience show (like he did at villa park), i'm convinced clichy will have him in his pocket. Personally, i dont think he has stood out enough at leeds. the decision is wenger's though.
To be fair its pretty hard to stand out when your in a relagation battle and the majority of players around you are crap. I think he's done a steady job at Leeds and the experience of scrapping at the bottom will definatly be of benefit to him and i reckon once hes in a team with quality around him as well he will really shine theres no doubting the lads got talent its just the application we need to see , personally i reckon next year could be a great year for him at Arsenal as i reckon he's what the squad really needs. I don't think Arsène's wrutten him out of Arsenals plans totally i think hes just teaching him a lesson and giving him prem experience at the same time.

Andrew

It's a bit dissapointing because recently we've lacked depth at RM so Pennant might have got a go if he wasn't out on loan. I'm still far from convinced with him though. He shows flashes of brilliance once in a while and then just seems to do nothing. Then he's got the drink driving problems, has had a pop at Wenger in the past etc. Just doesn't add up well IMO.

satan_beckham

i want him to return and fight with ljungberg for that RM placing...besides ljungberg have been linked to a move away so maybe pennant will be the right man to take over

chris66

I believe Pennant only has one year left on his current deal - so the acid test will be if Arsène offers him an extension this summer. I can't see us keeping a player next year who might improve and then be able to walk away for free at the end of the year. It will also be an interesting test of Pennant's willingness to commit himself with no guarantees - very much like the Upson situation all over again.

If I were putting money on it I'd probably bet he will NOT be at Arsenal next year. Hope I'm wrong.

A.M.A.G.

I don't believe that him being at Leeds is going to instill any sort of grit/fight/determination in him. The flaw in this theory is that his future is not in anyway 100% linked with the fortunes of Leeds as a club. He is an Arsenal player... if Leeds stay up, then he looks good cause he stuck it out... if they go down, ah well! back to Arsenal! Its a win-win situation for him. Unlike players who are 100% Leeds players, it is unlikely that he is having the same fear of the possibility of relegation. His situation is similar to a European volunteer who goes to some poor country... he/she can relate to the local people to some extent... but at the end of the tour of duty, he/she gets to go back to much better conditions. If Pennant comes back to Arsenal, he'll probably be better from the experience of steady first team ball... but in terms of drive/grit... it probably wont be worthy of mention

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom