• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Sheffield United | 23/09/06

patrick42uk

Established Member
freddie isnt scoring or assisting but he helps the team in other ways. kinda like hleb. anyway we need him for balance. he still makes runs and we need a player who penetrates from midfield.

Gurgen

Established Member
Jens 7 - Not much to do, made a great save at the end.

Eboue 7 - Finally delivered a good cross. If he can do that on a consistent basis he'll be the best right back in the world because the other parts of his game are outstanding.

Toure 7 - Solid as always.

Djourou 9 - Very impressed with him. I love the way he got physical and kept battling away. A beast of a player and not afraid to take the ball out of defence either.

Gallas 8 - I knew he was a world class centre back but I didn't know he has his advantages over Cole at left back as well. Defensively nothing gets past him and he's a real opportunist going forward.

Ljungberg 6 - Some good runs but overall not that great. His finishing looks weak and he isn't in tune with the rest of the players.

Cesc 7 - Didn't really notice him but he got stuck in a did a lot of work at the back and running up front.

Gilberto 6 - Invisible. Not sure if he's a wall though :wink:

Rosicky 6 - Some good play in the first half, anonymous the second.

Henry 8 - Didn't play well but was involved in all the goals. Since goals win you matches he deserves a high rating.

Adebayor 6 - Held the ball up well but otherwise not involved much.

Captain

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
freddie isnt scoring or assisting but he helps the team in other ways. kinda like hleb. anyway we need him for balance. he still makes runs and we need a player who penetrates from midfield.

He was useless yesterday. That isn't the reason why he shouldn't start though; the reason for that is Hleb is a far superior player now.

longrufus

Established Member
Jameel46 said:
Baptista --- 6 (didn't effect the game)

Did you fall asleep when he played a great pass to Eboue on the overlap, which led to the 3rd goal?

I know what your saying patrick42uk, freddie gives us a different option, and adds balance, due to his style of play but when he simply is not contributing on any real level, i struggle to see the benefit.

Its not a question of balance as he is giving nothing.

I think we would be far more beneficial with a performing Hleb, even though he is giving us more of what we already have, than a underperforming freddie who could give us another option but ultimately doesnt.

junialum

Or they are cynical.

I really think Freddie needs a break. He is one of my favourite players because this is one guy who gives his entire heart for the team. More than what Henry can give.

Wenger should rest him for about 2-3 games.

Lehmann1

junialum said:
Or they are cynical.

I really think Freddie needs a break. He is one of my favourite players because this is one guy who gives his entire heart for the team. More than what Henry can give.

Wenger should rest him for about 2-3 games.
I agree mate. I'd like to see more of Theo also so I see no reason why he can't rest Freddie

longrufus

Established Member
I dont care about how much he gives to the team, if he is not producing then he should not play.

To be honest i cant really remember the last time Freddie played well for a sustained period.

I have said numerous times Freddie seems to have stopped doing the things which once made him so effective. I cant remember the last time he made a darting run through the heart of a defense. The very thing which made him so dangerous. He has lost his pace, and when your not the most skillful player he simply cannot beat his man anymore.

I would love the old Freddie back, but it doesnt look like happening any time soon. I think Theo should get a few games, and maybe it'll just push freddie that wee bit harder.

Pike

Ljunberg_Rulz said:
ok, im sure ljunberg had a ****house game, but come on, aren't we all forgetting what he's done for us over the years? i can remember all you guys singing his praises not too long ago after the UEFA final, and all the other times he's pulled through for us, he also provides much needed experience in the midfeild, something we're almost running short on a bit nowadays, ..., give freddie a go, he deserves it after all he's done here. that sort of comment is a little harsh.

Sports is all about what have you done for me lately. Loyalty is what you expect from a dog, not a team looking to accomplish great things.

When I lived in the states, I saw few Arsenal games. I always wrote off Ljunberg as, "well, maybe I just catching him a bad game. This year, I have seen everyone of Arsenal's games, except one. I am not at all impress with him. Especially since there are more talented players to choose from....

Also felt, that once the subs came on, the team seem to play with better cohesion and precision.

I agree with one point, Rosicky is a great addition. His ability to shoot from long range will help open things up.

Pike

RC8

Established Member
Pike said:
Ljunberg_Rulz said:
ok, im sure ljunberg had a ****house game, but come on, aren't we all forgetting what he's done for us over the years? i can remember all you guys singing his praises not too long ago after the UEFA final, and all the other times he's pulled through for us, he also provides much needed experience in the midfeild, something we're almost running short on a bit nowadays, ..., give freddie a go, he deserves it after all he's done here. that sort of comment is a little harsh.

Sports is all about what have you done for me lately. Loyalty is what you expect from a dog, not a team looking to accomplish great things.

When I lived in the states, I saw few Arsenal games. I always wrote off Ljunberg as, "well, maybe I just catching him a bad game. This year, I have seen everyone of Arsenal's games, except one. I am not at all impress with him. Especially since there are more talented players to choose from....

Also felt, that once the subs came on, the team seem to play with better cohesion and precision.

I agree with one point, Rosicky is a great addition. His ability to shoot from long range will help open things up.

Pike

I strongly disagree with that statement, that's what I would expect from a hockey or American Football team, not a football team, and DB10 testimonial showed how teams can remain loyal to players, and players to teams.

Also, you are not getting the point the guy you quoted was trying to make. Ljunberg was inmense in Paris, and he puts a lot of effort, which is great when you want to rest a player, as you know you won't be putting someone who doesn't want to contribute to the game in his place.

Lukazan

Established Member
As far as Freddie is concerned IMO, his days on the right are over. Hleb is a far far superior player and is great down there, especially when he links up with Eboue like he did last season, particularly in the CL. I cannot remember the last time Freddie did anything of note for us on the right hand side, I mean for his last good game there you'd have to go all the way back to the beginning of last season or even the 04-05 season.

Seems to play a little better on the left but the only problem with that is, again, we have a far far superior player there already in Rosicky.

Aside from players being rested or injuries, or when we play 4-5-1 in Europe, Freddie's place is sat firmly on the bench.

polar87

Yeh i agree with you, Freddie is an extravagent hard worker, but his end products have flourished away, i think he needs a new challenge, hes been here a very long time, im also starting to think the same with Titi, he seems really unmotivated and just keeps huffing and puffing, and on top, hes the Skipper :-(

I would so loce Kolo to be captain, but near imposiible whilst the King of highbury is here.

RC8

Established Member
I agree with both of you, but I think Freddie is a very good player to have as a utility player. I would prefer him to cover when an important player is injured or needs rest, than some of our other players. Flamini for instance, as much as I like him, is not on Freddie's level yet. Also, Ljunberg almost got us a goal from a header yesterday, which is something (headers) he definitely adds to the team, as he showed against Zagreb.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
RC8 said:
Pike said:
Ljunberg_Rulz said:

Pike

I strongly disagree with that statement, that's what I would expect from a hockey or American Football team, not a football team, and DB10 testimonial showed how teams can remain loyal to players, and players to teams.
i disagree with your diasgreement.. loyalty is great, but loyalty to a player has to be repaid with performance.. DB was still contributing through his last year.. and when he wasnt, he wasnt playing as much.. same thing that should be done with Freddie... he shouldnt be first choice.. his best performances in the past year have been for Sweden, not Arsenal... yeah, he works hard, but so does Hleb... and Hleb seems to work better in our new style than Freddie does...

Polar, i see what you are saying about Freddie maybe needing a different challenge, but I disagree about Henry.. he hasnt looked great thus far this season, but he still has 2 goals and 1 (2 if you count Gallas' goal) assists in 4 matches and has (and will always have) more end product than Freddie....

polar87

USArsenal said:
RC8 said:
Pike said:
Ljunberg_Rulz said:

Pike

i disagree with your diasgreement.. loyalty is great, but loyalty to a player has to be repaid with performance.. DB was still contributing through his last year.. and when he wasnt, he wasnt playing as much.. same thing that should be done with Freddie... he shouldnt be first choice.. his best performances in the past year have been for Sweden, not Arsenal... yeah, he works hard, but so does Hleb... and Hleb seems to work better in our new style than Freddie does...

Polar, i see what you are saying about Freddie maybe needing a different challenge, but I disagree about Henry.. he hasnt looked great thus far this season, but he still has 2 goals and 1 (2 if you count Gallas' goal) assists in 4 matches and has (and will always have) more end product than Freddie....

Thierry always has the end product, that is no way my question, but im sure you will agree that, when a player maybe holds the ball up to much, or maybe shoots instead of passing etc he seems to sulk, and frustrate himself alot. The team is only young, and he needs to encourage them, and boost their confidence by showing enthusiasm, but he sends out the wrong signals during the game. I just wish he could show some leadership skills because he truly is a great, with bags of experience.

Legend#1

Established Member
I'm not Freddie's biggest fan anymore, but didn't think he was at all as bad as people are making it seem.

Freddie was involved in a lot of our attacking play, his end product wasn't brilliant, but he ran for 90 mins and gave us some much needed width.. He also got stuck in and fought a lot, something that is needed in games like this, I just find it a shame he's being singled out when Cesc was very average.

The pitch being wider should help us too, to spread the defence who pack the box, and bring in the full backs, but we've been playing too narrow, still getting used to the dimensions I suppose.

We played much wider in the 2nd half and got 3 goals today.. The team weren't playing too comfortably at home because we hadn't won and hadn't been in front, but hopefully today let's us play with more freedom.

Roll on Tuesday!

Arsenal Quotes

I think this project is going to go BANG

Mikel Arteta after a difficult run of results
Top Bottom