• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Manchester United vs Arsenal | 17/09/06

yankeegooner

Jens: 9 MOTM for me
Gallas: 7 solid, nothing spectacular, still not providing the extra width that I think he can for us
Djourou: 7.5 very solid, didn't notice him on the pitch like in the first few games
Toure: 9, fantastic, especially liked his shot and his yellow card tackle
Eboue: 6, played well, but horrendously misjudged that cross that let Ronaldo in. Most players would have scored rather than bonking it off Lehmann's face, Eboue got lucky
Ljunberg: 7, good, not extremely dangerous
Rosicky: 8.5, outfield MOTM, so dangerous in the middle, would love to see him there all the time.
Cesc: 8, not sure what the Cesc-haters are talking about. In a 5 man midfield his best qualities get highlighted and his worst (no defense) get well hidden.
Gilberto: 8, fantastic, except for the PK and a couple of stray passes, basically a typical Gilberto game
Hleb: 7.5, solid, thought he tracked-back really well to help Eboue
Ade: 8.5, scored one, and created the penalty chance, tons of running, and tons of stray touches.

yankeegooner

gun4glory said:
yankeegooner said:
Biggus said:
James said:
Legend#1 said:
Gilberto's performance is being criminally underrated like usual I see.
He was great. Everyone was, but he just gave the ball away a few times in dangerous areas of the pitch.

Not to mention the penalty miss.

Not to completely get off topic, but why does a DCM take the PKs for us anyway? Rosicky couldn't take them? Does anybody know if he is the designated PK man for the Czechs?
Toure should take our penalties... I'll never forget the way e smashed that pen in against Egypt in the ACN! Class!!

Even if the GK catches it, he'll fly into the goal with the ball!!

A CB, even better :wink:

Just kidding, I think Toure could be good.

gunner_down_under

Toure could be a bomb in midfield, but he's probably not so creative and th fact that he's Gibraltar in Defence means that we wont see him score so much!

phenn

who can hit a ball harder, rosicky or toure? I'm guessing Toure but not by much.

On the goal, did Cesc do a bit of skill there or get lucky with a blocked pass that went right back to him. I haven't seen any great replays and as such can't really tell. The commentators seem to think he just got lucky but I don't really see it and when I saw it live I thought it was just an amazing skill play.

Sammer

Established Member
jay-d said:
Lehmann - 9 - That save at the end was better than Gordon Banks' save versus Brazil, unbelievable, other good saves as well.

Toure - 8.5 - Kolo IS a WORLD CLASS CB FULL STOP.

Djourou - 8 - The kid has great potential. Great game. CB has gone from a problem position to a good one Wenger obviously saw what we didn't.

Eboue - 7.5 - Good game.

Gallas - 8 - Adds so much defensivley.

Gilberto - 7 - Played well should have scored that penalty

Hleb - 7.5 - This guy is class.

Ljunberg - 6.5 - Worked hard but in decline I reckon, weakest link in mid 5 today.

Rosicky - 7.5 -Played really well, adds another dimension to the team good passing , great shot on him.

Cesc - 7 - Mixed bag but nicley rounded off with the assist. Class.

Adebayor - 8.5 - Played very well a very good lone striker.

Baptista - 7 - Caused problems and looks to be settling in neatly.

Wenger - 9 - Would have got a 10 if he replaced Freddie with Theo.

those ratings are spot on, jay-d.

DBmagik10

bazza_afc said:
Lehmann 8

Eboue 8
Djourou 8
Toure 9
Gallas 8

Hleb 8
Rosicky 8
Gilberto 7
Cesc 9
Ljungberg 7

Ade 8

F*** it i say
heres my rating

Lehmann 10

Eboue 10
Djourou 10
Toure 10
Gallas 10

Hleb 10
Rosicky 10
Gilberto 10
Cesc 10
Ljungberg 10

Ade 10 :lol: :D :) 8) :wink: :evil: :twisted:

Soler

Established Member
Lehmann - 8.5

Eboue - 6.5
Toure - 8.5
Djourou - 8
Gallas - 7

Hleb - 6.5
Fabregas - 7.5
Gilberto - 7
Ljungberg - 7
Rosicky - 8

Adebayor - 7.5

Baptista - 7
Flamini - 6

Wenger - 8

Rosa

yankeegooner said:
Biggus said:
James said:
Legend#1 said:
Gilberto's performance is being criminally underrated like usual I see.
He was great. Everyone was, but he just gave the ball away a few times in dangerous areas of the pitch.

Not to mention the penalty miss.

Not to completely get off topic, but why does a DCM take the PKs for us anyway? Rosicky couldn't take them? Does anybody know if he is the designated PK man for the Czechs?

In Czech national team is for penalties Jan Koller. When he plays he is always PK man. The same was in Dortmund.

zievad

I'd be more inclined to agree with DBMagic here. Our players were awesome, they slogged there guts out and kept manure's midfield dead quiet. Our defence was awesome, awesome and I can't help giggling when I watch Gallas and think we got him PLUS £5M for ****ley. Ade was great, lost the ball a few times but stuck with it and even baptista looked strong and hungry when he came on.

Cesc, at 19, owned the manure midfielders. Legend. All those with ratings of below 8 for anyone on the team bar Eboue, seriously, think about it. I'm probably the only person on this forum who really thought we could win it and lo and behold, we win it and there are still people saying well he could have this and he could have that. Delusions of grandeur, I tell you.

GunneDown

Cesc was great! 8 for me.
Ade was hard working. Needs to work on touch but effort is there. good take on the goal. 7.5

Chips&CurrySauce

I'm not going to go through every player individually but I'll just pick out a few that really impressed me..

Djourou I think is getting better game by game.. He is so composed for someone so young..

Hleb, rosicky and Fabregas.. Thse 3 players make the whole team tick. The slick passing between these 3 players is a joy to behold, they controlled the middle of the pitch and kept the ball well and always looked threatening...

Adebayor, my man of the match. By far his best performance so far. He was playing the lone striker role and he was superb. Ferdinand and Brown just couldn't deal with his pace, power and movement. He's only one bad play was the soft shot, when in on goal which he really should have done better.. Other than that he was first class. His touch at times was also superb, he showed composure, awareness and skill..

He won a penalty, had a header cleared of the line and finally got his well deserved goal.. I hope this performance shuts a few people up, as yesterday he showed what he is all about.

athreya74

I am not going to give ratings for all the players. All of them played well and more importantly gelled well together. I think four players were key yesterday:

Lehmann - 8, absolutely owned his area and pulled off two outstandings aves. Although he blotted it by reverting to type during corners and picking up fights with just about anyone.

Rosicky - 8, he was far more effective playing centrally and his willingness to shoot added another dimesion to our play. It also opened up options for Ade to knock down headers or to pull defenders away to create space for Rosicky to shoot.

Cesc - 7.5, I would have given him 8 but he was inconsistent and lost a few balls. However he made up with that blinder of a run and a sublime pass. The hallmark of greatness is to change the course of a match with one intervention. The match was heading for 0-0 (many of us would have been happy) but he stepped up and maintained his composure to find the killer pass. Prior to today I would have said only Titi had that ability in our team to just wake up anytime and change a match. We are in the presencce of another great and he is only 19.

Ade - 9, I am proud to say that I am a card carrying member of the RvP fan club. But I doff my hat, Ade was out of the world today. It is not just the goal or the penalty but his overall movement and ability to work his socks off that stood out. I have never seen an Arsenal team move so well in a league match for quite sometime. Ade had a lot to do it by just moving around, making himself available for passes, pulling defenders. And he has oodles of stamina to keep going till the end. Not to forget a masterful finish. On this performance, he is a shoo-in for the squad ahead of RvP and has earned the right to partner Titi. And on current form,maybe he is a better choice than Titi to play the lone striker role. RvP has his work cut out to get a starting place, but competition will only benefit the team.

Overall, a fantastic win and vindication of using the 4-5-1 tactic in away games. Lot of forum users were very adamant about 4-5-1 being defensive but Arsenal showed that it can be an attacking formation as well. Full marks to Arsène and hopefully we will see this formation when we go to Chelsea away or Liverpool away or even Bolton away.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Re: Man U - Arsenal, player ratings

Avenell87 said:
cesc - 5
a down right horrible first half. better in the 2nd half and a terrific assist to ade's goal, but overall a disappointing performance from the spaniard.

Sometimes i really don't get you :shock:

what's there to get? cesc didn't play well. i suspect most have forgotten his performance, because of the great assist to ade's goal. if you go back and look at cesc' first half, you'll see that he was very, very poor. his passing game was slow and even inaccurate at times and he gave the ball away needlessly a few times.

Gurgen

Established Member
Cesc definitely didn't play well. His pass was decisive, but apart from that he was poor.

If you haven't watched the entire game, please don't post player ratings.

Ratinho

Established Member
Jens - 9

Eboue - 6
Gallas - 7 - Did his job, not gonna do amazing things playing left)
Djourou - 7
Kolo - 8

Freddie - 7 - All energy, still no Bergkamp there
Cesc - 7 - meh, he was average in the first half, thought he controlled the entire game second half, but hey, i'm wacky
Bert - 7 - As ever does his best work when surrounded by attacking midfielders, and allowed to do his own role
Rosicky - 9 - MotM
Hleb - 7 - Never stopped running but looked tired after an hour or so. Now, anyone who just watched highlights will have missed him squandering possesion often, but seen that one amazy pass in the first half, right?

Adebayor - 8 - Lead the line brilliantly, and as much as people will whine at his finishing, he had about 3 or 4 chances and scored. Potentially a great player if they teach him to shoot the same from short range as he does from long range. His all round game is fantastic.

Swings and roundabouts.

Yes, some passing was off in the first half, even a bit in the second. I like to think i've given my ratings on a context basis too.

Based on some systems poor old O'Shea would be in minus ratings. Possibly fair. :(

Lukazan

Established Member
Ratinho said:
Hleb - 7 - Never stopped running but looked tired after an hour or so. Now, anyone who just watched highlights will have missed him squandering possesion often, but seen that one amazy pass in the first half, right?

Often? 2-3 times tops.. less than Gilberto, Fabregas or Adebayor for example, anyway.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Yeah it's laughable the stick Hleb gets for 'losing possession' or 'passing to the opposition' in every game.

STUPID talk from STUPID people.

cesc18

lehmann 8 MOtM
eboue 6
gallas 7
toure 8
djourou 7
bert 6.5
cesc 6.5
hleb 7
rosicky 8
freddie 6
ade 7.5

Ratinho

Established Member
YuenBiaoFan said:
Yeah it's laughable the stick Hleb gets for 'losing possession' or 'passing to the opposition' in every game.

Look sunshine, you're irritating enough at the best of times. In my opinion Hleb lost the ball quite a few times, and in some dangerous areas when he was tired in that second half. The very fact i've rated him highly shows that i'm aware of how well he played overall.

Maybe the fact you can't actually respond to that claim with anything further than the above post, shows up your own ignorance fella.

Lukazan

Established Member
YuenBiaoFan said:

I cannot deny that so far in his career Hleb has given the ball away when not under-pressure a lot more than a professional should.

BUT the past 3 or so games those careless passes have more or less disappeared, the only time I've seen him mess up is when he has been under great pressure, although he still often finds a way to get out of it.

Ratinho, although I disagree with the 'often' comment, I do acknowledge you gave him a 7 so you obviously rated his performance. *Thumbs*

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom