Premier League 2019/20: Can we stay up?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 8, 2019.

?

Where do you predict we will finish this season?

1. 1st

6.5%
  2. 2nd

5.2%
  3. 3rd

35.7%
  4. 4th

30.9%
  5. 5th/6th

11.7%
  6. 7th or lower

10.0%
  1. Aevi

Aevi Hands down best mod -Trilly (probably) Moderator

New season, new team, do we have what it takes to break back into the top 4 this year? With our new signings, you'd hope so. We were only off of a spot by 1 point in two of the past three years, so we haven't been far off the rest of the pack.

Here are the teams this year...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

With a club-by-club guide...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49086586

Rygura likes this.
  2. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

More than enough firepower and a decent-ish defence. 4th is the least we should get

3. stiiphunn

stiiphunn Well-Known Member Trusted

It'll be very difficult to get Top 4... But we've got a good shot. Utd, Chelsea and Tottenham are probably thinking the same thing.

4. Manberg

Manberg Well-Known Member

Hoping for top 4, but it'll be a struggle.

5. Kroket

Kroket Trusty and Sensible Trusted

We should get fourth easily, if Sp**s fail to bring in Dybala we probably have the third best squad in the league. Think we're comfortably better than Chelsea and United.

Emery will get the sack if we're not in the CL next season.

North5, tcahill, SA Gunner and 4 others like this.
  6. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Well enough there for top 4 . Even our new CB takes a mean free kick .

7. L3T5 PL4Y

L3T5 PL4Y Flair Accuser

We're getting 4th. Back to our rightful place.

8. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Short man Syndrome

We'll get 4th, anything less and Emery will see the sack imo.

Gooner Zig and albakos like this.
  9. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

We are way stronger this season and only missed 4th by 1pt. Also Chelsea are weaker having lost Hazard and King Luiz.

I'm going 3rd.

North5, tcahill, Rygura and 2 others like this.
  10. albakos

albakos Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you" Administrator

With the inexperience of Lampard, minus Hazard and Luiz, Chelsea are definitely going to have problems.
    United's equally inexperienced OGS, lack of signings and very thin frontline makes for United to have some issues.

On the other side, with us strengthening in key areas and having Hector Holding return to their places, Top 4 is an absolute must. If we fail to reach it and also not win Europa, then Emery needs to get sacked.

11. THunter

THunter NOT In A Caravan Trusted

4th place if all our signings do well.

Rygura likes this.
  12. Aevi

I hope one of Leicester/Everton/Wolves/West Ham can even sneak into the top 6 and push Chelsea or Utd out if they struggle. They all have building blocks to make a step up and have made some decent signings. West Ham quietly looks the best of the lot imo.

Then again, Leicester have lost Maguire without reinvesting the money (yet), Wolves haven't changed much and now have more games with the EL, Everton are always making the next step and never do, and West Ham always have something go wrong. So we'll see.

North5, Rygura, albakos and 1 other person like this.
  13. Aevi

You don't think we can push higher if our signings all work out? Pepe, Ceballos, Tierney, and Luiz firing on all cylinders give me sight of a comfortable third.

North5 likes this.
  14. RandomHero84

RandomHero84 Well-Known Member

I think the pressure is on emery this season. For me last year he gets a pass. I like most, found our capitulation at the end of the season awful, and his selections were certainly a factor.

However, he inherited a pretty unbalanced squad, with a huge wage bill full of dross. The squad wasn't particularly big, and was full of overplayed mediocre players. Whatever system he chose didn't work with those players, and any attempt at rotation was bound to cost him.

This year, he's got a group of players carefully selected to plug our gaps, both long term and temporary, with several clear conceivable potential setups. This is a squad that should be in the champions league.

Chelsea should struggle. We need to make them struggle when we play them. United are very uninspiring, but with the help of refereeing decisions they largely will limp up the table. I don't fear their squad at all though.

I think it will go as follows:

Man city
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Tottenham
    United
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Wolves

We could take 2nd, but i think the coach is the difference between us and then. More so than the squad.

North5 and SingmeasongSong like this.
  15. THunter

THunter NOT In A Caravan Trusted

Just think City and Liverpool are still miles ahead and Sp**s have a settled team with a couple of top signings.

Aevi likes this.
  16. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

Definitely an upgraded squad.

4th if Mustafi and Kola don’t play much part and Xhaka stops giving the ball away, oh and Sokratis calms down a bit. Much will depend on injuries too.

SA Gunner, tcahill, Rygura and 4 others like this.
  17. Gervais

Gervais Well-Known Member

There's absolutely no excuse not to finish 4th.

North5, tcahill, Rygura and 5 others like this.
  18. Tony's nose

Tony's nose Well-Known Member

Should of been top 4 last season if it wasnt for a managerial self implode.

I think 3rd this year on paper we look stronger

albakos likes this.
  19. Vinci

Vinci The Sultan of Unai

3rd or 4th, depending on injuries.

albakos and Makingtrax like this.
  20. Troopz

Troopz Well-Known Member

I think we’re finishing 3rd as long as we sort out our away record.

People are forgetting we could have finished 3rd last season but didn’t because we bottled those last few games.

albakos and SingmeasongSong like this.