• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rate the Transfer Window

How would you rate our transfer business on a scale from 1-10?

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 14 10.0%

Votes: 55 39.3%

Votes: 44 31.4%

Votes: 20 14.3%

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Lower than 5

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I give this window a 7. We got the best players we could in the positions that we needed. It sounds like we tried for bigger targets but couldn't get them. The timing could have been better with Perez and Mustafi but no DD dramas for a change. Wilshere's loan is a good one imo. He hasn't looked fit since the Euros or during pre season. It's a pity not to have seen more of Gnabry but it's his choice. . We've still got 2/3 first team under performers and some youth players who aren't that promising but I think we're good to go. All we need now is that elusive lady luck.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Was really down about Arsenal and football earlier in Summer, the signings have turned it around completely, very much looking forward to seeing us play the next match; seeing how these four new guys play together, I can take a few bad results on the chin if I at least see that we're progressing towards something good.

A couple of late transfers sure, not optimal, but the players we've signed are all looking like solid quality players, even Holding which is a nice surprise, Peréz being the next questionmark, but I have faith.

Putting it all into consideration and looking at our previous transfer windows -this is a solid 8, we've got the players we want for the first time in a long time and I think that warrants high praise, hopefully this is a new standard for us.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I've notched mine up to a 7 after reading some of these post but that's the highest I think it can be. To go any higher we would of had to really have pushed the boat out and covered developing gaps/ sign a proven elite talent.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I really liked our signings, Perez - although an unknown quantity at this point - may be a very good addition to the squad. Specially when you see the prices that average (and plain not good enough) attacking players have gone or were quoted for this summer window.

It's a shame that we didn't get the attacker we had hoped for, but for 17 million pounds he may prove one hell of a coup. Even if he doesn't he won't have cost so much that we can flog him in two years by loaning him until his contract expires.

I voted 7 and would've given a bigger score right out the bat had we done our business a bit sooner. If Perez turns out a player, I'll give it a solid 9.

Now, if Sanchez and Özil sign new contracts, it will turn into a magical 10.

Jerome_Gooner

It seems the English media are not the only one who can't see Arsenal as clearly as other teams. In the french version of Eurosport today, a long article recaps the transfer business of 10 big teams in Europe and gives them a grade.

When it comes to Arsenal, they give 9/20, saying "only Perez and Mustafi as recruits is simply not enough to get back to the top" and "no investment or audacity this summer".

So a journalist chose to ignore Xhaka (top 10 biggest transfer of the summer) and, to a lesser extent, Holding to reach the point he wanted to make anyway.

Here's a link if you can read french:http://www.eurosport.fr/football/tr...in-de-notes-du-mercato_sto5816096/story.shtml

Impact

Established Member
No elite striker. No worthwhile transfers out. Deals done too late to impact our first three games. Definitely capped at a 6/7 window.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
It seems the English media are not the only one who can't see Arsenal as clearly as other teams. In the french version of Eurosport today, a long article recaps the transfer business of 10 big teams in Europe and gives them a grade.

When it comes to Arsenal, they give 9/20, saying "only Perez and Mustafi as recruits is simply not enough to get back to the top" and "no investment or audacity this summer".

So a journalist chose to ignore Xhaka (top 10 biggest transfer of the summer) and, to a lesser extent, Holding to reach the point he wanted to make anyway.

Here's a link if you can read french:http://www.eurosport.fr/football/tr...in-de-notes-du-mercato_sto5816096/story.shtml

screen-sh-jpg.1279

Rimal posted the above in the TDD thread and it really explains it all. We can sign Messi and they still find a way to tell us how horrible of a transfer that would've been.

The media doesn't really like us and knows our social media presence (and gullibility) will get them a lot clicks.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I still can't fathom how Chelsea are let off scott free for Luiz. What's wrong with these journalists? Don't they see the pure desperation from Conte there? Wenger would have been slaughtered for doing something similar.

WhatAFC

We've addressed problems within the squad that we've had for so many years, except for the timing it's the best transfer window in terms of overall squad improvement I think we've had for a decade.

In the last 2 summer windows we've added directly to the spine of the team.

I still can't fathom how Chelsea are let off scott free for Luiz. What's wrong with these journalists? Don't they see the pure desperation from Conte there? Wenger would have been slaughtered for doing something similar.

David Luiz gives these journalists things to write about, he's capable of the spectacular and of the embarrassing that's why they love it.

Proof

Established Member
5/10

Made some solid signings and finally added a new attacking weapon.
However, we're still not quite where we need to be in terms of the quality we've brought in.

We signed good players with plenty of value for the money. This is our 5th straight season without a top striker and there are also too many unknowns surrounding a number of our additions. We should be making signings of a higher calibre ("top, top quality").

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

5/10

Made some solid signings and finally added a new attacking weapon.
However, we're still not quite where we need to be in terms of the quality we've brought in.

We signed good players with plenty of value for the money. This is our 5th straight season without a top striker and there are also too many unknowns surrounding a number of our additions. We should be making signings of a higher calibre ("top, top quality").

As far as Xhaka and Mustafi go, I can't think of many higher calibre players to sign for CB and CM. They are from the top shelf.

Proof

Established Member
As far as Xhaka and Mustafi go, I can't think of many higher calibre players to sign for CB and CM. They are from the top shelf.
I like those two signings. I agree. They are from the top shelf.

What I meant by high calibre is something big to raise our game, to take us the the next level, getting the right kind of talent in. This summer was similar to the one in which we bought Mertesacker, Arteta, Gervinho and Chamberlain.

We should have signed or at least made a vigorous attempt to add Ibrahimović, Higuain or James Rodriguez. Having one of those three playing alongside Alexis and Özil would have made us title contenders. Liverpool almost won the league with two quality goalscorers in Suarez and Sturridge. The rest of the squad didn't have anything special. We needed a top class addition, or two, for our front three.

The ST was the position in which we needed the biggest upgrade. If Perez turns out to be another mediocre striker then we didn't do anything in the area of the pitch we have struggled the most in the last few years. Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez deserve a chance to prove themselves but they look unlikely to take us to the promised land.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright

Latest posts

Top Bottom