• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Plenty of time and opportunities to come, I wouldn't be worried at all.

Some like Rashford start super brightly, others start very slowly look at Kane for example. The key thing is that the talent is there.

There should also be a big increase in performance when/if he slots into our first XI rather than being part of a team where wholesale changes are made. IMO that's when you can really see what a young player is made of.
Agree. I think his momentum from preseason was seriously curtailed and that didn't help - playing wing back, wasn't trusted when other attackers were poor. He also started coasting through the few U23 games he was playing (and still managed to contribute to over a goal a game). The confidence has definitely suffered and physically he looks overawed aswell, more than I thought he would. I hope we give him time and more games, and not on loan either. I don't trust other clubs with our youth players at all.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

It looked to me like he's a player that's used to beating U18/U23 defenders with relative ease but when he tried little things like going one on one and cutting inside players like Valencia just took it off him.

Definitely doesn't look ready to me. Could possibly see him filling in a RWB role because it's less pressure and he can be eased into the team, but I don't think he's ready for any sort of attacking role.

I'm always cautious with young players because I've seen countless youth player's look unbelievable at that level and then struggle to step up for a few years. Look at Lingard, they didn't think he'd be ready until he was 23/24. I'd be patient with Nelson, and he's still got time to get a few loans in or develop before we start judging him properly.

Yeah agree , we done that with numerous players over the years . Hell even Bale started as a back . Which is why Weng started him there for many Europa games . Still though , he receives the ball with his back to play well , which is something Ox never could do .

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Judging from the very positive comments he has made previously about signing the contract I'd be very surprised if he didn't. Perhaps they are waiting for him to do it with the new manager https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/10/reiss-nelson-new-arsenal-contract
Yeah, that’s a while ago now though. Seen that two of Sp**s’ youth players are refusing deals and moving to Germany. If all these English lads are getting tapped up then you can guarantee Nelson has good offers.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, that’s a while ago now though. Seen that two of Sp**s’ youth players are refusing deals and moving to Germany. If all these English lads are getting tapped up then you can guarantee Nelson has good offers.
They're all getting offers from abroad with actual pathways to football it seems. We even have a couple of schoolboys allegedly leaving, Okonkwo and Musah been tapped up of late.

If the PL refuses to give these guys a pathway into the team, then we could have a lot of players leaving the league to go abroad, particularly to places like the Bundesliga. Sancho could easily have played in the PL this season, but if he stayed at City, he would have seen even less minutes than Foden most likely.

Nelson has to be looking at this - and he's arguably not as big a talent as Sancho. But he could still become a very top class player with the right management but he needs to play and in his position too. A player of his profile will not be short of offers. He's not quite at first team level just yet but he could be soon enough. Nelson should stay IMO because he does have a pathway here. Hypothetically speaking, if Arteta is coming in and he decides to employ a similar policy a la City regarding wide players, he has an easy pathway even with recruitment.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
They're all getting offers from abroad with actual pathways to football it seems. We even have a couple of schoolboys allegedly leaving, Okonkwo and Musah been tapped up of late.

If the PL refuses to give these guys a pathway into the team, then we could have a lot of players leaving the league to go abroad, particularly to places like the Bundesliga. Sancho could easily have played in the PL this season, but if he stayed at City, he would have seen even less minutes than Foden most likely.

I like that tbh, why limit yourself to just Pl when there are so many opportunities for you out there, especially when pl clubs seems reluctant to give them a chance. Think it will be good for English football in the long run and it might force Pl clubs to put more effort into their talents to keep them here.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I like that tbh, why limit yourself to just Pl when their are so many opportunities for you out there, especially when pl clubs seems reluctant to give them a chance. Think it will be good for English football in the long run and it might force Pl clubs to put more effort into their talents to keep them here.
I like it too - sticks it to the archaic, short-termist PL teams and managers. Even Wenger bemoaned the fact that playing the youngsters would result in a backlash and implicated himself as well as the rest of the PL managers for not playing the youngsters.

It will benefit English football in terms of the National team but the PL will absolutely miss out in the short term, as fans will begin to feel somewhat disconnected to the club with a lack of real homegrown talent. Wenger's great pipe dream was a squad full of Hale End talent - but we could end up seeing most of them playing abroad if things continue! Given our philosophy of actually giving out the odd opportunity, it's not likely, but still.....

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
. Wenger's great pipe dream was a squad full of Hale End talent - but we could end up seeing most of them playing abroad if things continue! Given our philosophy of actually giving out the odd opportunity, it's not likely, but still.....

aye, this generation is supposed to be the first that's truly Wenger products right. In a way it's a shame he can't reap the benefits of that work, but I felt due to the pressure he became too cautious/risk averse and would opt for the "safer" choice instead of backing a youngster like he would have previously without hesitation..

You never know how the new manager will be with the youth. Arteta is a complete enigma as a manager, so whatever buzzwords he might have said previously means nothing really.. If he comes under pressure immediately how willing would he be to work with the youngsters or would he opt for experience and the safe option too?

A lot of our current academy products are showing tremendous potential and looks to be up there with the best in Europe(unlike previously where it was mostly hype imo), if we are lucky there might be a world class player or two in there. We are not going to be able to compete financially with the best clubs, that much is clear, getting quality contribution from your academy could close that gap. Plus you can't deny that special feeling/connection with fans seeing a youth product making that step up and establishing himself as a quality player.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'd understand if Nelson had reservations about his opportunities here were the club to buy a hot young winger, cos he may well think "shouldn't that be my role". And if he were to decide that he'd rather just move abroad instead of doing the traditional thing of having lots of loans here and there or just not playing, I'd also understand.

If no winger is bought then I'd hope he's given some proper opportunities next season. I know we desperately need a winger who can dribble and hence the urge to buy a winger. But we do have 4 very good senior attackers, plus Iwobi & Welbeck. We're pretty well-stocked, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to give chances to Nelson & Nketiah even if they're not as polished.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Would like to see one of 1) the new guy giving youth a chance and 2) several loans of young guns, ideally with the latter made possible with squad reinforcements of players closer to their primes.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Arsène leaving his name out of the list of player he expected to get more game times next season makes me think he's a goner.

9jagooner

Why should he sign for us though? He is not getting much play time (and most likely won't get under new manager). He needs to go somewhere to prove himself either in the EPL or Championship or even go abroad. Se how 18 year old Dembele tore up the Championship last season. Nelson needs to show he is an equal if not better talent. He's yet to do that IMO

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Been silent on the contract since Wenger announcement.

He should wait on the manager & especially formation they play now we have two good strikers at the club. If Thierry comes in as a coach bound to sign though!

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
Wouldn’t surprise me if he signs and takes Iwobis opportunities, with Iwobi out on loan. Potentially an extra wide player coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom