• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I only have one complaint and that is that I wish he would have backed himself a bit more on the final 3rd. Time after time he got into the half space and instead of taking his man on or going for the shot, he passed it to Iwobi or Welbeck and they did nothing with it.

He showed a glimpse today.

9jagooner

I only have one complaint and that is that I wish he would have backed himself a bit more on the final 3rd. Time after time he got into the half space and instead of taking his man on or going for the shot, he passed it to Iwobi or Welbeck and they did nothing with it.

He showed a glimpse today.
He's gradually getting WENGERED

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'd like to seem him go back to the things he was doing in preseason and just be direct. Let others create and find him with through balls. He is overthinking right now in order to avoid mistakes and justify his first team selections which is inhibiting his game.

I remember Salah at Chelsea when he was doing the same thing. It's amazing the effect it has on a players' confidence when they know they'll be playing every week in their best position and focus on doing 2 or 3 simple things well.

Reiss needs consistent first team football. Either here or elsewhere on loan. We've been over cautious with him and that's you can see he's the type of player who needs to get into a groove.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'd like to seem him go back to the things he was doing in preseason and just be direct. Let others create and find him with through balls. He is overthinking right now in order to avoid mistakes and justify his first team selections which is inhibiting his game.

I remember Salah at Chelsea when he was doing the same thing. It's amazing the effect it has on a players' confidence when they know they'll be playing every week in their best position and focus on doing 2 or 3 simple things well.

Reiss needs consistent first team football. Either here or elsewhere on loan. We've been over cautious with him and that's you can see he's the type of player who needs to get into a groove.
When he went to the U17 Euros in 2016, he was stationed on the right wing and the manager basically used him as a Walcott: getting in behind and getting into primarily goalscoring situations. I have no doubt that Nelson can be a good creator - he has good imagination and vision, and playing as a #10 has expanded his game beyond being a simple run-and-cross right winger or cut-inside left winger.

However, I've said before in this thread that Nelson has explosive goalscoring potential that needs to be harnessed. That period for the England U17s resulted in 9 goals in 9 appearances for that particular campaign. So far for the U23s he has a similar goal return. If we can isolate Nelson's dribbling, shooting and imaginative play into the final 3rd, we should see more goals and assists from him.

I agree that he should also focus on what he does off the ball. He's smart, I reckon he'll cotton on, but the temptation to get on the ball and make things happen will be too strong when we have technically inferior/slow players restricting our attacking game. The team needs to be constructed to allow greater technique and attacking movement. Even England's U17s had the likes of Dozzell and Mount helping to build attacks from deep.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When he went to the U17 Euros in 2016, he was stationed on the right wing and the manager basically used him as a Walcott: getting in behind and getting into primarily goalscoring situations. I have no doubt that Nelson can be a good creator - he has good imagination and vision, and playing as a #10 has expanded his game beyond being a simple run-and-cross right winger or cut-inside left winger.

However, I've said before in this thread that Nelson has explosive goalscoring potential that needs to be harnessed. That period for the England U17s resulted in 9 goals in 9 appearances for that particular campaign. So far for the U23s he has a similar goal return. If we can isolate Nelson's dribbling, shooting and imaginative play into the final 3rd, we should see more goals and assists from him.

I agree that he should also focus on what he does off the ball. He's smart, I reckon he'll cotton on, but the temptation to get on the ball and make things happen will be too strong when we have technically inferior/slow players restricting our attacking game. The team needs to be constructed to allow greater technique and attacking movement. Even England's U17s had the likes of Dozzell and Mount helping to build attacks from deep.

Agree with everything you've said.

StefanB

I'm actually more excited by Nketiah tbh. but Nelson is right up there. I really hope Niles, Nelson and Nketiah gets their chance to shine for the first team.

infinium

Hopefully Wenger moves on before destroying this talent.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We need to move forward with him replacing Walcott this season, and possibly Alexis from next season (if he step up appropriately).

Bringing in two new wingers would push him back again.

nick gould

We need to move forward with him replacing Walcott this season, and possibly Alexis from next season (if he step up appropriately).

I looked at the stats on who scored, Theo only managed 30 passes in total of which 2 were key passes. This kid on the other hand managed 70 passes of which 4 were key and attempted more dribbles than any other player. That explains why he seemed tired in the second half. Theo though is a proper fraud. Elneny gets a lot of stick for failing to do what’s not in his jobs description but Theo gets off lightly.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...nd-FA-Cup-2017-2018-Nottingham-Forest-Arsenal

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

He can't replace Alexis, but he sure as hell can replace Theo. A frightened broom could replace Theo.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He can't replace Alexis, but he sure as hell can replace Theo. A frightened broom could replace Theo.
:lol: Theo was rumbling along before his injuries...never been the same.

I looked at the stats on who scored, Theo only managed 30 passes in total of which 2 were key passes. This kid on the other hand managed 70 passes of which 4 were key and attempted more dribbles than any other player. That explains why he seemed tired in the second half. Theo though is a proper fraud. Elneny gets a lot of stick for failing to do what’s not in his jobs description but Theo gets off lightly.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...nd-FA-Cup-2017-2018-Nottingham-Forest-Arsenal
Those are fantastic numbers, even better than the impression I had from watching it (on TV);

In his defence, Theo has never been a passer in his career. He is either the scorer or assister.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Watched Sancho for Dortmund, his first start.

Nelson is miles better, quicker feet, faster, all round baller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom