• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rio Mavuba

Mckenna

There could be more substance to this than you think. Given Song's loan move to Charlton (which could become permanent), Flamini moving on and Gilberto being sniffed around by Juve, it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

It was two seasons ago that the player himself came out and said that Arsène had spoken to him. Not about a move right away but for a move a season down the road. That time came and went. Obviously, we got Denilson. But now that Flamini is looking to move on, don't be surprised to see this one get some traction.

From two seasons ago:
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... id=&cpid=8

evoh_1

Established Member
mavuba is certainly a better player then song by quite some distance but will he want to rotate with Denilson as semi backup to Bert and Diaby. though he may have the pace and skill to go wide. if he's cheapish then not a problem but he'll be at Juve next season by all bets.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
arsenal_hleb said:
he isnt a 23 year old midget. he is quite good actually. i have seen him a couple of times and he really remind me of makelele. Arsène is doing the right thing. he has missed makelele, drogba and eto'o in the past and he is snapping up teenagers to avoid missing stars again.
that''s the impression I got from watching him as well. I've read a few reports that Mavuba is quite down to earth. He was born on a refugee boat, I think. I guess Wenger must like his attitude. Two seasons ago I watched his games, his distribution was good but not excellent. His work rate was high though. Late last year Borduex were in the same CL group with Liverpool, so I had chances to check on him. His passing is much better but not very impressive, as Bordeux didn't play well in CL group. MAvuba was once the captain in France U19 or U20, if I recall correctly. So there might be a leadership attribue in him.

Overall, I doubt Mavuba would offer something different to Arsenal, especially with Gilberto in the team. Unless Gilberto leaves, I can't see Arsène to sign Mavuba.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Headless Chicken.

Not better than any of our current options and not anywhere near the quality to ever replace Gilberto.

Dez

Different to any other midfielder that we have, more defensive, could be interesting. Doubt it will happen. Though this could well be the balance wenger was on about.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
someone tell me whats the difference between mavuba and reo-coker, they play too similar for me...if were in for mavuba, surely we should just get reo-coker then(proven in prem)

longrufus

Established Member
Not really becasue Reo-Coker would cost easily twice as much. Anyhoo, Reo-Coker is a box to box player while Mavuba is more of a DM.

Doesnt matter as neither would improve us with our current crop of midfielders.

Artillero

Italian press say its Juve who are having an offer concidered (not yet accepted) by the club but they have been allowed to speak to the player.

Zico

Established Member
Whenever I see news like this I think: decent French player. His agent is using the French-Arsenal link to improve his stock.

M+D

Established Member
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... nners+hint

Bordeaux's highly-rated midfielder Rio Mavuba has hinted he may shun any potential move to Arsenal this summer.

The France international is being linked with moves to some of Europe's finest, including Manchester United, Juventus and The Gunners.

However, Mavuba believes with the likes of Gilberto Silva, Denilson and Abou Diaby already vying for starts under Arsène Wenger, competition at the Emirates may be too fierce.

"Arsenal and Juventus? They are both big clubs," the 23-year-old told But!

"Arsenal are a super team with a fantastic coach, but they also have a lot of defensive midfielders."

Good news imo. he's not what we need atm.

stuart

Established Member
Oh ffs you just cant post anything here first :lol:

Agree with you, that is good news, im sure we were never really keen anyway. He isn't going to improve our squad

Jameel46

Established Member
he's a very good player but with Gilberto, Diaby, Denilson, & Song at the club competing to play alongside Cesc, Mavuba really wouldn't have got many games

Arsenal Quotes

As a club, we have an educational purpose: to give back to those people who love Arsenal so that they learn moral values from our game and how we behave.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom