• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: The Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslingtonBornandbred

For me, you either make the choice to play him and stick with him or don't play him. This putting him in, pulling him out, dropping him from the matchday squad, then putting him then out, really isn't doing him any favours.

I'd like to take him into a dark sensual room and gently caress him whilst whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

nick gould

He'll be fine.
It will be very difficult for him to regain his confidence. Last time he had a stinker he was relegated to the under 23s the next match and left backs were used in his stead. Again this time the manager showed that he would rather put faith in a left back and took the boy off at half time and things drastically improved.

In my opinion his best attribute was his passing. He strokes the ball in a way that number 10s would be proud of. Even that seems to be lost as well. The major concern is that it shows all over his face that he is scared. Players like Ramos would score an own goal and still continue to walk with their shoulders held high. They don't give the opposition the satisfaction of seeing a scared rabbit in their body language. This boy's face shows the nerves and lack of confidence and opposition prey on that.

Impact

Established Member
Same guy who dominated Costa in the FA Cup final. I feel bad for him because he's low on confidence ATM, but it only takes one good game to turn it around.

Mertesacker should come in handy right about now.

He didn't dominate Costa at all. Costa had a good game, a very good game actually.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

He had an excellent game against Chelsea, played just like being a professional player having a long experience behind him. Not only did he defend well but he also had some remarkable moments of dribbling, where he outplayed much more experienced Chelsea players. Full of confidence and his eye didn't blink, as we say.
He is out of form at the moment but this doesn't mean that his form will not return, that happens to much more experienced world class players too.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's a very good centre back being thrown into a side which doesn't defend well a lot of the time. You have a midfield of Xhaka-Ramsey which does no protecting of the CB's and wing-backs who bomb forward meaning we'll always be prone to counter-attacks and Holding will always get isolating 1 v 1 which most young CB's would struggle with. Any good attacker is expected to get the better of a good defender 1 v 1.

Holding will bounce back, there's no doubt about it. Remember how Koscielny, who was much older, dealt at the start when we threw him into the deep end. He struggled but eventually adapted to the fact that he'll have to do a lot of the work on his own and will be making last ditch interceptions and tackles. If an international like Mustafi struggles at times then surely it can only be expected that the incredibly inexperienced Holding does too. Like TGG said Mertesacker will help him out, Rob's far too good of a defender not to bounce back.

I'm not entirely surprised with the reaction though, if there's one thing Arsenal fans like to do it's turn on young players. Look at the abuse Iwobi got last season despite having a very impressive first few months. Then think about a 20 year old Aaron Ramsey in the 11/12 season tasked with basically replacing Cesc as our attacking midfielder, he was crucified above anyone else.

Keplaz

He will recover. This is the boy who stared down Diego Costa! He is suffering more than everyone else from Wenger's poor choices because of inexperience. He has been getting exposed by the tactical indiscipline in the team. Once we are more settled as a team, he will improve and get back his confidence.

Keplaz

He's a very good centre back being thrown into a side which doesn't defend well a lot of the time. You have a midfield of Xhaka-Ramsey which does no protecting of the CB's and wing-backs who bomb forward meaning we'll always be prone to counter-attacks and Holding will always get isolating 1 v 1 which most young CB's would struggle with. Any good attacker is expected to get the better of a good defender 1 v 1.

Holding will bounce back, there's no doubt about it. Remember how Koscielny, who was much older, dealt at the start when we threw him into the deep end. He struggled but eventually adapted to the fact that he'll have to do a lot of the work on his own and will be making last ditch interceptions and tackles. If an international like Mustafi struggles at times then surely it can only be expected that the incredibly inexperienced Holding does too. Like TGG said Mertesacker will help him out, Rob's far too good of a defender not to bounce back.

I'm not entirely surprised with the reaction though, if there's one thing Arsenal fans like to do it's turn on young players. Look at the abuse Iwobi got last season despite having a very impressive first few months. Then think about a 20 year old Aaron Ramsey in the 11/12 season tasked with basically replacing Cesc as our attacking midfielder, he was crucified above anyone else.
I agree 100%. Arsenal fans don't seem to have patience for the inevitable slump in form that most young players go through.

Keplaz

I'm actually pretty sure on this. Holding had a good game too. But Costa was lively. Got a goal (lost Holding with his movement) and should have had another.
It's impossible to keep any good striker quiet for 90 mins. He dealt with Costa relatively well to limit his impact especially considering his age and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom