Rob Holding: Out for 6-9 months

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by albakos, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

Holding was a bright spark in an otherwise dire position (centre-back) for us. Think he has shown he is worth developing. I personally think he should be a third-choice option and those expecting him to be the bonafide starter around whom we will build our future defence will soon find themselves frustrated by his progress (or lack thereof, in their eyes).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. The White Pelè

The White Pelè Active Member

Think he is another player Emery wants to develop and make him first choice in few years.

Hopefully he will come back stronger from his injury.

THunter likes this.
  3. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Emery won't be here in a few years. Doubt very much whether he is planning beyond the next season or two at the moment.

4. samshere

samshere Why so serieuse?

Both the Holding and Bellerin losses were gutting. We might still have pulled off a top four finish, if Ramsey also didn't go down.

5. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Think we would have finished 4th if all those remained fit (and won the Europa).

6. tap-in

tap-in :-)

We were only one point off 4th anyway. Holding and Bellerin would have secured 3rd no problem and prevented the Emery hate mob from rearing their ugly heads!

7. Hleb's Sirush

Hleb's Sirush Well-Known Member

Sokratis is definitely a decent defender. There are always bargains to be had. Even then we had to compromise on certain criteria to get him. He was on his last year of contract and 30 years old. Liverpool got Robertson for 8m only 2 years ago, so it's definitely possible.

I'm talking more as a general rule. In the past (quite recently actually) £20m would have got you a world class defender. Now it's the asking price for the Soyuncus or Dalots, players who haven't even showed they can reach decent levels.

8. DanDare

DanDare Spreading positive vibes

So Holding from memory was pretty good before injury.

Hope he develops into the player Bould believes he'll be.

Does Sokratis-Holding work?

Bellerin-Sokratis-Holding-Tierney

9. Mitch

Mitch Bellerin Upgrade Advocate

We never lost one match that Holding played in last season.

This included such results as

Beating
    Fulham 5-1
    Leciester 3-1
    Watford 2-0
    Sp**s 4-2
    Everton 2-0

Kept clean sheets in 3 of the 4 of the EL matches he played in.

Whilst also drawing with Utd and Liverpool.

Mark Tobias, YeahBee and yybecause like this.
  10. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

I know he’s not likely to be fit for the start of the season but does anyone know any sort of time frame as to when he might be fit? Sooner than Bellerin maybe?

I love this lad to bits. Was well on the way to having a breakout year.

SteveEvets and Mark Tobias like this.
  11. ptrcopp

ptrcopp Well-Known Member

It was December when he was injured and it was put at up to 9 months, but he was back in training earlier than expected so may be ready for the start of the season. Failing that, one would imagine by Sept.

Taylor Gang Gunners likes this.
  12. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Pizza Boy

Felt he was our best defender when he got injured. Think he and Sokratis would have been good partnership into the final months of the season.

North5 likes this.
  13. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

Our future capitano. Give him the house keys to look after.

14. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Is it just me or does this lad seem much older than he is. I don't mean that he is finished I mean he shows maturity beyond his years on the pitch. Absolutely loved it when he gave Costa mouthful in the final a couple of years back.

15. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Bolton youth system toughens 'em up pretty fast, and Holding joined it when he was 7

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  16. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Still Not a Mod

Tourbillion and Vinci like this.
  17. Wounded Healer

Wounded Healer Active Member

i dont get why if we gave rob a chance to prove himself we wouldnt give bielik...

18. Vinci

Vinci The Sultan of Unai

19. say yes

say yes To VAR

Got a hairline beyond his years, that’s for sure.

Artisan, krengon and American_Gooner like this.
  20. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Class act and a sense of humour on him.