• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sergi Samper

scytheavatar

Established Member
https://twitter.com/MessiMinutes/status/623633281393819648

The front page of tomorrow's @mundodeportivo says Arsène Wenger wants to bring Barça's Sergi #Samper to Arsenal.

Thoughts? I know that he's supposed to be very highly rated and considered the next Busquets so it would be unusual if Barca lets him go, but if they do buy Pogba you'll think it'll be hard for Samper to get into their team. And he has a 24m euro release clause so he wouldn't be too expensive.

highburybaby

Wenger just has to show him his project and Hector makes a call, Barcelona can't really do anything if we meet the release clause:D:D

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse

Headlines / News / Primera Liga / Transfer Gossip

Arsenal willing to pay release clause for Sergi Samper
by Tom Conn | Posted on Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015

Arsenal are reportedly making a third attempt at signing Barcelona starlet Sergi Samper and will pay the Barcelona B midfielder’s €12 million release clause to lure the 20-year-old to London.

According to Mundo Deportivo, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger sees the young Samper as the heir apparent to his 33-year-old compatriot Mikel Arteta and is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure the player finally comes to the Emirates.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/159468/arsenal-willing-to-pay-release-clause-for-sergi-samper/?

BigDane

Headlines / News / Primera Liga / Transfer Gossip

Arsenal willing to pay release clause for Sergi Samper
by Tom Conn | Posted on Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015

Arsenal are reportedly making a third attempt at signing Barcelona starlet Sergi Samper and will pay the Barcelona B midfielder’s €12 million release clause to lure the 20-year-old to London.

According to Mundo Deportivo, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger sees the young Samper as the heir apparent to his 33-year-old compatriot Mikel Arteta and is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure the player finally comes to the Emirates.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/159468/arsenal-willing-to-pay-release-clause-for-sergi-samper/?

Can you comment on the credibility of that article/paper?

No knowledge on the ability of Samper but given our history with Barca it doesn't seem farfetched to think Wenger will go for him.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
The main link is Mundo Deportivo which I understand is a Barca sympathetic sports paper, akin to Marca in Madrid.

Mundo Deportivo (called El Mundo Deportivo until July 1999 ) is a daily sports Spanish published in Barcelona by the Godó Group (Group which also owns the newspaper La Vanguardia ). Its CEO and director is journalist Santi Nolla . It focuses mainly on reporting on present football , especially the Football Club Barcelona , and multisport.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundo_Deportivo

pikey2000

Is he good enough to be a Coq back up or is this another Bielk style signing?

Pretty sure Samper is a ball player, a techincally astute distributor of the ball rather than a ball winner ala Coquelin.

Could see this happening, replaces Arteta's place in the side, the money is right, Barca clearly have lots of players in front of him in the pecking order........credible link or not this one seems to have the hallmarks of a genuine transfer

Impact

Established Member
Is he good enough to be a Coq back up or is this another Bielk style signing?

He has the potential to thoroughly displace Coquelin. He's that good.

The problem for Samper is Busquets. Busquest is, arguably, the best defensive midfielder in the world and is still only 26. He's not even near his peak. Samper can stay and be a squad player for years or move and play regularly. I think if he gets a good move, he'll spoken about in a similar vein to Verratti and Thiago.

Barca are also going through a few difficulties with their La Masia strategy and he hasn't been promoted this year. It may be that with Bartomeu in charge his promotion will be prolonged as Barca continue to focus more on success at the expense of their identity.

Last edited:

Arsenalfornia

The problem for Samper is Busquets. Busquest is, arguably, the best defensive midfielder in the world and is still only 26. He's not even near his peak. Samper can stay and be a squad player for years or move and play regularly. I think if he gets a good move, he'll spoken about in a similar vein to Verratti and Thiago.

Barca are also going through a few difficulties with their La Masia strategy and he hasn't been promoted this year. It may be that with Bartolomeu in charge his promotion will be prolonged as Barca continue to focus more on success at the expense of their identity.

Finally a tread with some positivity! Hope it continues.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Wenger does want a DLP rather than an out & out DM at the base of his midfield.
Does seem that way. He is a back up or alternative to Coquelin ie home games against weaker teams where he can be there as a shield but more active with his distribution in turning defence into attack. And Arteta wasn't to bad in that role against the other half of the table, you'd imagine a younger quicker version would fair better.

highburybaby

Barca are also going through a few difficulties with their La Masia strategy and he hasn't been promoted this year. It may be that with Bartomeu in charge his promotion will be prolonged as Barca continue to focus more on success at the expense of their identity.

and they are going to buy Pogba next year...

highburybaby

Does seem that way. He is a back up or alternative to Coquelin ie home games against weaker teams where he can be there as a shield but more active with his distribution in turning defence into attack. And Arteta wasn't to bad in that role against the other half of the table, you'd imagine a younger quicker version would fair better.

i think wenger will only buy younger DM to back up and challenge Coquellin...if he wants an experience DM, he will rather use Arteta.

Last edited:

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
I love transfers like this. Never heard of him before today, check youtube out and he looks like the new Xabi Alonso and we get to fleece Barce's academy for a bargain of 8million plus he has decent height on him too.

This maybe just youtube and B Level football but you won't see many DMs with this level of technique

Get it done Arsène

Last edited:
This would be a typical Wenger signing. Genius :). I have know him for a couple of years now. I know that Barca fans rate him very highly. Surprised about his release clause.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom