• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: Cack On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Would love to know what really went on last summer, rumours came out of nowhere that he was to be sold.
5 clubs & 4 countries by the age of 25. Getting that money.

Harsh judgement on Mustafi. Statistically he is one of the best CB in the premier league this season so far according to WhoScored who are quite accurate: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2017-2018

His mistakes have been pretty costly and have led to goals but that doesn't make him a crap defender. His best rating has been 7.54 in the 2015/16 season for Valencia. At the moment he is averaging 7.46 with room for improvement for the remainder of the season.

Its a half decent system for attackers but so much unrecorded for defenders. Mustafi (or any of our defenders) being so highly ranked does them no favors.

BBF

Harsh judgement on Mustafi. Statistically he is one of the best CB in the premier league this season so far according to WhoScored who are quite accurate: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2017-2018

His mistakes have been pretty costly and have led to goals but that doesn't make him a crap defender. His best rating has been 7.54 in the 2015/16 season for Valencia. At the moment he is averaging 7.46 with room for improvement for the remainder of the season.

Well, if you watch games using your eyes you'll know he's rubbish.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Well, if you watch games using your eyes you'll know he's rubbish.
I do watch the games and he isn't half as bad as he's being made out to be. He shows great aggression, which we lack as a team defensively. He's also very good in the air. I like his aggressive style of defending, reminds me of Vidic. All those niggly issues he has can be coached IMO.

BBF

I do watch the games and he isn't half as bad as he's being made out to be. He shows great aggression, which we lack as a team defensively. He's also very good in the air. I like his aggressive style of defending, reminds me of Vidic. All those niggly issues he has can be coached IMO.

His reckless aggression leads him to being caught out of position, making stupid tackles and being turned multiple times by average strikers. Only thing he's genuinely good at is slide tackling and he only does that because there has already been an error committed in the build up.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

That was precisely my viewpoint until the last game. I know it's not always sensible to make a judgement call based on one instance, but that mistake was so horrific that it brought his whole status into doubt for me. Whatever stage of development he's at and whatever chaos is going on around him from the other players and manager, that mistake is inexcusable in any circumstance.

If a player can be prone to forget to play football and do his job so drastically (and it happened in the Bayern game last year too) then I just don't see how that player can be trusted. I like a lot of what Mustafi does, I agree with you about his aggression and aerial ability. But I cannot accept having a player who is prone to such horrific mistakes and I don't know if any coach can eradicate such fundamentally bad habits from his game.

teamsoutheast

His reckless aggression leads him to being caught out of position, making stupid tackles and being turned multiple times by average strikers. Only thing he's genuinely good at is slide tackling and he only does that because there has already been an error committed in the build up.

Like I said, that stuff can be coached out of him. He is currently averaging 4.6 aerial duels per game which is very good considering his height. His tackling and clearance averages are not too bad either.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
There are some players who once they've lost the trust of the fans will never make it here even if they do well elsewhere. Woj and Fabianski are recent examples and I feel Mustafi will go the same way.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Gabriel always has excellent individual statistics too, and David Luiz. They are misleading however. All some of the greatest defenders of all time needed to do was shepherd a striker onto their weaker foot and nudge them off balance. You can't measure that. The likes of Baresi were always sensing danger before it happened and therefore starting position was always set.

Mustafi has a high number of tackles, interceptions and aerial duels won along with a high number of fouls conceded. He's often having to make recovery tackles and that isn't a good sign. Funnily enough in Mustafi's defence I think Otamendi is a similar type of player. If you put him in this Arsenal team he'd probably be as much of a disaster as Mustafi. That's why he needs someone like Kompany beside him or Fernandinho ahead of him.

Arsenal have neither.

Last edited:

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
The way we defend doesn‘t excuse his horrible individual mistakes, a good defence could hide some of his defensive lapses but no good manager would have him starting for his defence.

It‘s a shame because he has similar attributes to Koscielny but not the brain. Sell.

teamsoutheast

The way we defend doesn‘t excuse his horrible individual mistakes, a good defence could hide some of his defensive lapses but no good manager would have him starting for his defence.

It‘s a shame because he has similar attributes to Koscielny but not the brain. Sell.
The Mustafi you see playing for Arsenal is completely different tot he one you see playing for the German national team. Put a decent midfield in front of him and you'll see the difference I say.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
The Mustafi you see playing for Arsenal is completely different tot he one you see playing for the German national team. Put a decent midfield in front of him and you'll see the difference I say.
I disagree, he is just as brainless with the national team as he is with Arsenal. He will show promise all game and then do something really stupid which will cost the team. You only have to go back one or two games when he did his last mistake.

Maybe in 2-3 years he will cut out the mistakes but I‘m not ready to wait until then.

Though it would be interesting to see him play under a different manager (as would most of our players). I don‘t think the individual mistakes have anything to do with the manager.

pacstud

The hatred for Mustafi is child-like imo.

And yet Chambers is some WC player? We're through the looking glass on this board sometimes.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
The hatred for Mustafi is child-like imo.

And yet Chambers is some WC player?
We're through the looking glass on this board sometimes.

Think there's only two, maybe three posters who have defended his ability to turn good (read: he's not there yet) in the past few games, but I guess OTT is par for the course at A-M.

pacstud

Think there's only two, maybe three posters who have defended his ability to turn good (read: he's not there yet) in the past few games, but I guess OTT is par for the course at A-M.
I'm obviously exaggerating on the Chambers eval, but reality is that no one cares that he's average at best for some reason I can't explain.

But Mustafi is "trash" and "garbage" and "let's dump him"

So even if we throw out the Chambers comparison, my point holds.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I'm obviously exaggerating on the Chambers eval, but reality is that no one cares that he's average at best for some reason I can't explain.

Seeing as he's been calamitous for the better part of a 12 months (bar a few games), it's not hard to understand why.

He's tendency to go to ground, the many errors and lapses he has and the inconsistency he shows on the pitch, all lead towards the conclusion that he's an expensive flop.

Arsène's obviously not doing him any favors, but the lad's burned his bridges. Both the club and Mustafi (might have to add Xhaka here) can't afford to wait and see while Arsène goes into the last year of his contract in a WC year.

IslingtonBornandbred

I'll explain. Mustafi is nearly 26 and has played in three different countries including Italy Serie A, Spain La Liga and England PL. In 2014 Mustafi started a game at the World Cup for the winners. He cost 35 million and is a first choice starting centre back.

Chambers just turned 23. We bought him from Southampton in 2014 where he was beginning to play regular football at 19 years old. He started 23 league games in his first season. 12 league games in his second season.24 league games for Middlesbrough. And this current season he started 12 total games with only 4 league games. At best, Chambers is third choice centre back, and I reiterate 23 years old.

Whether Mustafi is good enough is one thing. Whether people think Chambers will develop into a trustworthy first team regular player is another. You have to be able to see why Mustafi is held to a higher account to Chambers.

pacstud

I'll explain. Mustafi is nearly 26 and has played in three different countries including Italy Serie A, Spain La Liga and England PL. In 2014 Mustafi started a game at the World Cup for the winners. He cost 35 million and is a first choice starting centre back.

Chambers just turned 23. We bought him from Southampton in 2014 where he was beginning to play regular football at 19 years old. He started 23 league games in his first season. 12 league games in his second season.24 league games for Middlesbrough. And this current season he started 12 total games with only 4 league games. At best, Chambers is third choice centre back, and I reiterate 23 years old.

Whether Mustafi is good enough is one thing. Whether people think Chambers will develop into a trustworthy first team regular player is another. You have to be able to see why Mustafi is held to a higher account to Chambers.
I do get that and appreciate your balanced statement.

My qualm: Chambers is slow. That doesn't tend to improve.

Mustafi is young in terms of defenders. His mistakes are mental. Physically, I think he projects far higher than Chambers ever could.

Either Chambers simply isn't good enough or Wenger is unable to get the best out of players due to tactical ineptness or motivation. It's hard to say these days. But I just cant see him ever being able to play at the level we would like to see Arsenal play at.

With Mustafi, again I don't know if the problem is him or Wenger. He isn't a bad player. If you look at Utd's defenders, he isn't worse than any of them ability wise. He's probably not good enough to just "play his own game". But Wenger is looking more and more like a "Football Manager" manager who's bored and just sending the team out on "default tactics" settings and hoping for the best lol.

Zaza

We can see why Manolas was first option and Wenger was reluctant to pay more than 20m for him. He is a good defender but God...hate the way he dives in easily and the brainfarts he has here and there.
Weak mentality as well. Takes one bad game for his self esteem to get shot to pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom