• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Should we bid for Rivaldo?

Should we bid for Rivaldo?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbadsol

Definately not, he has become a joke in Italy and no Italian club will touch him.

i don't doubt that he has ability but he hasnt played league football now for over a season. If he came on a 6 month contract i expect it would take him atleast a couple of months to even get competitive.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
He's not our Xmas wish, but bloody hell he is world class. He would teach the others a thing or two and is surley cheap now.

I like the idea, why not sign him, he won't take too much of the transfer kitty and we still get someone else on top.

Imagine another striker AND Rivaldo.

He could play the 'Harry Kewell' for us, I am sure that Wenger still wants to get that right MF/ Forward sorted out. His passing is as good as Beckham (on a good day) or Kewell.

Obviously like I said this is not the ideal Xmas present, but it's still near as dammit.

satan_beckham

Sammer said:
I just read that he was voted one of the worst 2 players in the Italian League - mainly due to his attitude.

No way, we should bid for Rivaldo. The need for new players should not lead to bidding for money-hunting-selfish DIVAS.

We need dedicated players with spirit.

Rivaldo? Maybe 5 years ago, but not now.

yeah he is voted worst player in italy,but reason why is he didnt get a chance to play as he is always behind kaka and rui costa and after awhile hes not happy as a player of his calibre must be playing regularly,but if he comes here,he will surely be henry first choice partner and with gilberto,edu in the club he can settle in very well.And at 31 he still have at least 2 or 3 years left,he played very well in the world cup of course aprat from the moment where he cheated but pls just give him a chance,everyone makes mistakes.I really wanna see rivaldo in a arsenal shirt,off the field he can also help our merchandising too...by selling shirts

Webdesignlab

Established Member
And at 31 he still have at least 2 or 3 years left,he played very well in the world cup of course apart from the moment where he cheated but pls just give him a chance, everyone makes mistakes.

Remeber Beckhams sending off? All the England fans forgave him, why not Rivaldo. I think we will be hated by the media even more, but that's ok I hate them too.

I didn't become a Gooner to be popular.

beaney

in a word yes.

in more than a word, still yes. but as leongsh said on reduced wages and possbile shorter term contract.

he still has what it takes and can replace bergy, IMO.

yeah hes getting old and yu dont want to get in the habbit of buying players that age, generally, but i think hes worth the risk.

lewdikris

Established Member
No.

Great player, no question. But he's no use to us. Can't play in the Champions League - because he appeared in the Super Cup for Milan (which still counts as European competition). Will absolutely demand to be first choice striker, which cannot be guaranteed.

He's the best mercenary that ever lived. Lee Van Cleef of football. But the present and future of our transfer policy is all about building a team for 2006 and beyond, not simply for temporary concerns.

I think Wenger learned his lesson on this with Suker. Great player who's presence caused more problems than it solved.

If Wenger is thinking about Reyes, which he probably is, he's exactly the player Rivaldo WAS. Able to play left wing, attacking midfield, up front. Decent in the air.

In other words, like Myles says, the player that Kewell woulda been.

Only better.

O, and 4 times as expensive! ;D But we'll leave that to the banks.

n_henry

Hypothetically, if we could afford him and he isn't too expensive, then I say yes.

But of course coz he's already 31 or something, he probably doesn't have too much left in him..certainly won't be a long-term investment.

But if we could, I wouldn't object. ;)

nnn

He's had a bit of a dodgy past, so have many of our current players.

If Wenger could get him playing like he did back in 98-00, he could be the player to give us the advantage over both blue and red ****. With everything so tight, he could prove a huge advantage if he sorted himself out.

Sammer

Established Member
Lewdikris´ analysis is 100% true - great player, but his presence would cause more problems than it would solve.

I really can´t see it happening....his times are over.

Andrew

bigbadsol said:
Definately not, he has become a joke in Italy and no Italian club will touch him.

i don't doubt that he has ability but he hasnt played league football now for over a season. If he came on a 6 month contract i expect it would take him atleast a couple of months to even get competitive.

To be honest though, going to Milan was the wrong move from him, you could see from day one. Firstly, he left Barca because he wanted to play as a striker. So he leaves to the club where there is Schevchenko, Inzaghi and Tommasson. They are all world class proven strikers. Why he did it I don't know... maybe for the money? But he's never had the chance and I'm sure that he would appreciate another chance at another club... I can't help thinking that if an English club does buy him it will be either Newcastle or Liverpool.

Adam

Established Member
I will say that there is a confidence factor here. Signing a player like him would reinforce our belief in Europe (big club mentality). It would be the first time Wenger has signed a current established world class player. Not much room for development.

Suker is a decent comparison. But he is not in the same class - and his baggage was far worse than Rivaldo's. Rivaldo is not outspoken at all. I'd say it is a possibility and would not rule it out however unlikely it may be. It all depends on what Wenger believes he can do with the player in terms of development (maybe not so much), how he fits into Wengerball, and his effect on other players. Gilberto and Edu's Brazilian national team prospects would certainly profit from such a move as Arsenal would be in Carlos Alberto Parreira's eyes.

Just an outstanding talent. And he has at least 3 years left in him.

Beverenfan

I don't think it would be a good transfer. The Arsenal midfield and attack seem good enough for me actually. Why buy a player if you have some of the best, and taking in account that his form is 0 at the moment, I could say it's a loss of money!

Kyla

I don't think he would have difficulties fitting into our style of play. When Wengerball get's going it is reminsicent of Brazilian foobtall. Rivaldo was great in the last world cup- outshadowed Ronaldo for me. The question mark is, once again, over his attitude. But I think players coming to Highbury often find something "special"- it's the way the club is run, the brotherly bond b/w the players- it's just different to every other club. If Rivaldo can immerse himself in the Arsenal traditions then he can be a very viable SHORT term option.

vin de guerre

I have a clapped out van made in Brazil. It has excess bagage, timing is pretty well shot, needs a paint job and does about a mile to the gallon. Would you buy it?
:?:

Well who the f*** needs Rivaldo at Highbury? :evil:

baccy_man

Established Member
i would rather see kluivert with us than rivaldo . kluivert is younger would be fitter as he is playing still . i would rather see anelka than rivaldo . and anelka did the dirty on us . but he is younger and would be faster than the old boy.

beaney

baccy_man said:
i would rather see kluivert with us than rivaldo . kluivert is younger would be fitter as he is playing still . i would rather see anelka than rivaldo . and anelka did the dirty on us . but he is younger and would be faster than the old boy.

fair point with Kluivert, as for anelka, he ****ed us over we need to think very carefully if were going to take him.

henry is the quickest around, Ali is very quick too, so is freddie. do we need another REALLY quick player?

or a playmaker??????? IMO i would say a playmaker to replace db10

kajej

Sorry this is a bit off topic.. but i read recently that Wenger recieved a 10 million pounds transfer kitty and i was just wondering: if we get into the next stages of the Champions League, dont we recieve another 10 million?? If so, then Wenger will have 20 million to spend? :shock:

Webdesignlab

Established Member
kajej said:
Sorry this is a bit off topic.. but i read recently that Wenger recieved a 10 million pounds transfer kitty and i was just wondering: if we get into the next stages of the Champions League, dont we recieve another 10 million?? If so, then Wenger will have 20 million to spend? :shock:

£5 Million for getting through and another £5 million for doing well, another big budget if we go on to semi or final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom