• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Maybe a signing like this would be with the idea of displacing Mertesacker sooner rather than later....although there is still Chambers and there's no a chance Wenger would relegate him to 4th choice, unless Chambers is definitely seen as a DM or Sokratis is?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
@say yes

He's probably closer to Koscielny in style generally than Mertesacker, although he can play a calmer game, more in line with the latter. He's one of the fastest centre backs around and reads the game very well, the only area he still has to work on would be his aerial game.

Think if he can stay injury free this season he'll be rated among the best CBs in Europe.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
jones said:
Bigbludfire said:
By far the best player for the national team when I watch him, and apparently he's one of the most underrated in the Bundesliga. I'd have to get confirmation from RWA or Jones for that statement though.

Definitely potential to be a 1st choice player imo.

Confirmation given. :D

Almost certainly not happening for that reason, he doesn't only have the potential to be 1st choice but already is imo. It'll be Subotic on the bench when everyone is fit and on form, Ginter will get chances in the cup or in CDM at best, not even in the same league as Sokratis at the moment.

Sounds even better than I imagined 8))

I'd agree with the Koscielny comparison from what I've seen. Physically he's an animal, always gives his all and he's tactically a very smart defender. Reminds me of an old school Italian defender but with more pace

Mudi

Didn't he just arrive last year to Dortmund?

I really would like this to happen but I don't think it will.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
He's already been good while at Werder Bremen, which is quite an achievement given how crap they were back then. He's done well last season for Dortmund and it seems some of their fans rate him highly enough to expect him taking over a starting role there, which pretty much rules him out for us as a third choice CB to be honest.

If we're after him, then for him to take over from either Kos or Merte for the future, as I believe he'd play well with any of them in the centre. Could be the ideal CB to enable us to rest Kos or Merte, without struggling to get a decent CB-partnership together.

ArseGod

I don't see this one happening, but it would certainly tick a few boxes. Would be pleased if this came off. But how does he play as the DM? Can he?

Pies

Never been a huge fan to be honest. I've seen him have some crap games in Italy and also at Bremen which cloud my judgement though tbf. With Dortmund he's been pretty solid when I've seen him though. He's also had some good games with the national team.

Would be a solid backup for the right price and I doubt we find better. With Chambers it wouldn't be bad to have a more experienced (although fairly young) player like Sokratis as an option as well.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Haven't watched Dortmund in the last year so seen nothing of Sokratis, sounds a player though reading Jones and Bigblud here.

Pires7_Legend

Really rate him highly. Physical beast who reads game very well and very fast. To good to be 3rd choice center back, won't be surprised if he will displace Mertesacker.

Iceman10

Established Member
Dortmund do have Ginter now, so I can see how it could be difficult to manage both Papastathopoulos and Ginter as backups.

KY

Established Member
Iceman10 said:
Dortmund do have Ginter now, so I can see how it could be difficult to manage both Papastathopoulos and Ginter as backups.

Yup. Bear in mind that they also have Marian Garr, another up and coming German centre back. Though i'm not too sure what Dortmund would feel about having 2 inexperienced 20 year olds as backups for the injury prone Subotic and Hummels.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
THunter said:
Would they sell him to us now we're in their CL group?

I really don't know but we make a good offer in my opinion but many Dortmund fans think he is not for sale.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
<a class="postlink" href="http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calcio-internazionale/arsenal-no-del-dortmund-alla-prima-offerta-per-papastathopoulos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calcio-inte ... thopoulos/</a>

Di Marzio said Dortmund rejected our bid but we will try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom