• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Spanish Football 2017/18

zhaggy

What's up with Spanish teams playing 4-4-2 all of a sudden? Recently I've seen Barca, Real and Atletico all playing 4-4-2 while English teams are playing 4-3-3 more often than not. It's refreshing to see it back in fashion.

Circle of Life.. or football i guess. formations come and go, probably gonna see more teams playing 4-4-2 soon enough.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Yeah, 4-4-2 has been having a bit of a renaissance over the past years already, but now that the entire top four in Spain have used/are using it, it will probably spread like wildfire.

Similar to how most teams in the PL started playing with three defenders because Chelski were highly successful with it, but now that they dropped off and City are dominating, everyone has abandoned it again. :lol:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'd love Arsenal to be at the forefront of a formation change for once, instead of following them. Would love a bit of 4-4-2, maybe a bit of narrow 4-4-2 diamond mmh ;)

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Dembele playing very well for Barca today. Malaga are a shambles but still, might be the start of something for him.

BobP

Memri Fan
The 442 in use these days isn't your quintessential 442.

The wide midfield players operate in the half spaces as wide playmakers essentially.

Wenger used to do it here and there with Hleb and Rosicky back in 06-07 and 07-08.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

The wide midfield players operate in the half spaces as wide playmakers essentially.

Wenger used to do it here and there with Hleb and Rosicky back in 06-07 and 07-08.

Sure he did it in all the teams before that too. You're right it's not the 4-4-2 in the sense that there's two orthodox wingers. I think the idea of orthodox wingers has more or less vanished from the modern game.

Would you think about 4-4-2 for us, given we have Auba and Lacazette? Or is 4-3-3 better overall.

BobP

Memri Fan
Sure he did it in all the teams before that too. You're right it's not the 4-4-2 in the sense that there's two orthodox wingers. I think the idea of orthodox wingers has more or less vanished from the modern game.

Would you think about 4-4-2 for us, given we have Auba and Lacazette? Or is 4-3-3 better overall.

I like the idea.

I quite like Laca's ability on the ball, putting the lack of goals aside, he did well to integrate himself into the teams passing play in the first half of the season. I think a partnership between Auba and Lacazette would be complementary. We also have Mhki and Özil who can play that role I've described above, that is as wide playmakers. I also think Mhki's defensive work is understated. We could always have him orient himself deeper and form a false 3 in midfield, with Özil orienting himself further forward. Throw in a partnership between Xhaka and a vertical shuttler and you have the makings of a good setup.

Juventus have shown that it can work. Last season for example, they often went:

------------Higuain-Dybala
Mandzukic-----------------Cuadrado
-------------Pjanic-Khedira

Aevi

Hale End FC

Sounds like the Monaco of last season.

Newchange

4-4-2 Diamond would be perfect for us provided are fullbacks provide the width..

----Auba--Laca----

----------Özil-----------

Ramsey---------Miki--------

---------DM------

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I also think Mhki's defensive work is understated. We could always have him orient himself deeper and form a false 3 in midfield, with Özil orienting himself further forward.
I think Miki is better in the final third than Özil both in terms of assisting and finishing because he's more direct, but since he's more solid defensively, I can see why you would hold him back a bit.
Özil seems like he weighs his passes inconsistently, even if they do end up at his teammate.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
I think Miki is better in the final third than Özil both in terms of assisting and finishing because he's more direct, but since he's more solid defensively, I can see why you would hold him back a bit.
Özil seems like he weighs his passes inconsistently, even if they do end up at his teammate.

Bullshit, man.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

2:2 - Suarez and Messi.

That was stupid from Sevilla. They could lead 4 or 5:0, but destroyed every chance.
Insane how Messi turns it around still, but Sevilla were at their wasteful best again, like against United.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Arsenal 2003/04
Juventus 2011/12
Barcelona 2017/18 ???

30 games gone and this is now looking more and more likely to happen. Only Real Madrid (at least on paper) look like the side most likely to beat Barca in La Liga this season but that Clasico will be at the Camp Nou.

Messi is a once in a generation talent and once again he saved Barcelona. Whenever that genius leaves Barca, they will be back to their pre-2005 level (at least on the European scene)

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom