• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Stephen Appiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harding

appiah would be a good signing, however i dont think we realy need him as despretly as say a DM or a CB, but appiah has looked good in the world cup and would fit our style of play!

Artillero

Were we not offered him as part of the Vieira deal, I was under the impression we were and could not understand why we didnt take him.

I love his attitude but to be honest one out of Yaya, Appiah, Senna, Muntari I would be happy. i just want a big strong CM.

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm skeptical to be honest - if we were that interested in Appiah, surely we'd have taken him as part of the Vieira deal?

I mean, he's looked good for Fener (although I'm not sure quite how much that means), and good for Ghana (but again, we know what Wenger thinks about WC performances), but really, really skeptical that we'd sign him now.

asajoseph

Established Member
Artillero said:
Were we not offered him as part of the Vieira deal, I was under the impression we were and could not understand why we didnt take him.

I love his attitude but to be honest one out of Yaya, Appiah, Senna, Muntari I would be happy. i just want a big strong CM.

But seeing as he left Juve for less than Vieira cost them, surely he could have been part of the deal, had we wanted him to be?

Artillero

After raiding most countries in Europe for talent Wenger seems to have his African glasses on this window.

Clarkey

Perhaps Arsène wanted straight money for Paddy to create funds for a replacement he was after, but didn't get his man. Its another possibility anyways.

Harding

Artillero said:

i'm with you on that one, wenger is obviously weighing up his options and appiah has stood out over essien in my view so far in the ghana team and he still is only 26....but i dont know who i would prefer out of yaya and appiah :?

ugen64

Appiah might not be a "classic" DM (a Mascherano, a Makelele) but he is strong and always works hard - sort of like Vieira. Wenger's always been flexible with his midfield pairing - Vieira + Parlour, Vieira + Gilberto, Gilberto + Fabregas... I could potentially see Appiah + Fabregas.

of course, I would prefer Mascherano or someone similar, but let's face it. how much better is Mascherano than Appiah? I don't think it's enough to justify paying 2x or 3x the transfer fee on a player just 3 years younger.

and regarding Senna - apparently Aragones is leaving him out of the France game in favor of Fabregas, so..... :)

el jefe

Clarkey said:
Perhaps Arsène wanted straight money for Paddy to create funds for a replacement he was after, but didn't get his man. Its another possibility anyways.
If we are to believe the transfer stories from last summer, Arsène sold Vieira for 13M and then offered right around the same amount for Baptista. So that would make sense. Or maybe he just didn't rate Appiah very highly at the time.

nidza7

Established Member
I`ve never been impressed with him,I watched him playing 2 yrs for Juve.Some nice passes,good work rate but overall very average.

IMO he`s a kind of player who plays 1 good game then next one he`s nowhere.

regele

Established Member
Everybody's wondering why we didn't take him when we sold Vieira, but I remember that when it was discussed here most people said they didn't want him because he was crap so there's your reason.

asajoseph

Established Member
regele said:
Everybody's wondering why we didn't take him when we sold Vieira, but I remember that when it was discussed here most people said they didn't want him because he was crap so there's your reason.

The consensus would be similar now, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game
Top Bottom