• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The New offside interpretation

slapz

It's well weird and spoils game as was demonstrated in the Leics v Bolton game where Kev Nolan and Pedersen were on the edge of the area and moved out to go back in. Nolan had one shot hit the post when he was clearly offside as the ball was played.

Linesmen's jobs are going to be very hard and we're going to see many goals allowed when it should be offside that they'll most probably bring in say a video ref who'll be looking at whether a player was offside pretty soon.

I prefered the old style offside rule where you were given off if you were deliberately offside when the ball was played up in your direction

AFCG7

Established Member
The old rule was fine..
The only way a player isnt interfering with play is if he's injured or off the field.

Mark

Established Member
yeah i considered starting a thread about this myself. it's a very stupid rule and i don't know what the fa are thinking introducing it in the middle of the season. if they suggested it during pre season and made sure all clubs understood it the fair enough but then again the rule itself is ridiculous and teams are going to have to change the way they defend.

A

Anonymous

really crazy rule.Some of the players themselves didn't know about it till a while back!all it's going to do is add more controversy to even more games.

lewdikris

Established Member
It's ridiculous, frankly - although the only two players who seem able to have figured out how to successfully exploit it are Titi and Ruud, which might tell you something... and for both us and Utd it's provided winning goals in recent matches.

The other teams are just being cheeky, to no effect - no-one else thus far has exploited the rule to score, where the best two strikers in the league have been doing it all season.

Only now though does it seem to have been noticed...

Adam

Established Member
Why have Fifa imposed it again? Is it all about this "give advantage to the attacking team" concept?

satan_beckham

its really strange to see those 2 players running up when freekick is taken,van nistlerooy also always do it to confuse defenders..think this rule should be changed!it only benefit man u and not us

EJub

I thought this 'new interpretation" was to underscore what good referees were already doing, not flagging players far off on the wing that were not part of the attack build-up or shot. That piece is not really a new interpretation. The man crossing the ball is usually offside as soon as he kicks the ball.

If you cannot be offside on a goal kick, cornor, and throw-in;
why can you be offside on a free kick?

I worry about FIFA overcorrecting for referees allowing the rule
to be pushed further.

I would be happier to see the linesman get the simple rule right and quit flagging Henry just because he looks to be offside because he is eight yards behind the defender.

VCC

This new rule may be the dumbest thing ever. There is no way Bolton's goal should have stood. There is no way Ruud's goal against Southampton should have stood (but they should have had a penalty, so I'll forgive that).

I understand that sometimes a player is in an offside position and doesn't effect the play, but this is ridiculous. And what's even worse, at least they could have waited for the new season to implement it. Putting in new rules midseason is farcical.

hesham

Established Member
aload of bollocks. bloody prawn eating di**heads having nothing to do except f**k up the system football iz football beautifull as it is you cant change something that isnt broken

Alexone234

Yeah, an attacking player beyond the last defender when the ball is played is only in an offside position if he is active. This means that player can come from an offside postion, back onside to score. i.e. RVN game before last. Defenders now don't know how to mark a striker if he, say, walks into an offside position but doesn't touch the ball.

Very confusing for everyone especially linesmen

gunner_11

they'll most probably bring in say a video ref who'll be looking at whether a player was offside pretty soon.
Lets just all hope and pray that they do not bring in a video ref. games can have too many stoppages as is and it'll end up like in the rugby where refs dont seem to do anything anymore. they all rely on the man upstairs

Piston Broke

I Play Field hockey so once you've stopped P*ssing yourselves laughing the more serious point is we abolished the offside rule many years ago meaning the game is quicker than it used to be & 0% chance of Umpires/Refs getting it wrong

I can only hope this is the direction the FA are taking. Defenders will adapt they have too believe me having played both ways no offside is the best option

slapz

Piston Broke said:
I Play Field hockey so once you've stopped P*ssing yourselves laughing the more serious point is we abolished the offside rule many years ago meaning the game is quicker than it used to be & 0% chance of Umpires/Refs getting it wrong

I can only hope this is the direction the FA are taking. Defenders will adapt they have too believe me having played both ways no offside is the best option

So, if an important game is tied.. you bring on a huge striker to stay on the 6 yrd line, hoof long balls up to him and hope one goes the right way.

A player beating the offside trap and going onto score is a great feeling if its your team and i dont want lose that

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom