• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The New offside interpretation

VCC

The offside trap is one of the great tactical elements that makes the game great. Abolishing it would be horrible.

Alexone234

FIFA want football to turn into basketball. They want every game to end 65-49 and everyone to leave with fixed grins and 1000 yard stares.

Piston Broke

you are all scared of taking away the offside rule & with good reason we all had the same worry's then that you are now it's understandable butlet me put some of these to rest
1. We have the ability to chuck long balls the lengh of the pitch but don't do it very often bex#cause usually it is very unsucessful & you just lose possesion a lot

2. Goals now this was never a concern of mine being a forward but defenders & Keepers were very concerned about how to deal with this & the amounts of goals being scored would just be a joke & during the first year their were some sillyscores but after that the goalscoring settled down once defenders started learning to mark space as well as man marking their is a great skill to it & not to disimilar scorlines to what we had before

3. The offside trap being a great tactical element fair enough i agree but it is also a great tactical skill to mark someone when their is no offside rule

Bottom line is everyone is scared of what they don't know i have played under both systems & know that no offside is far superior

slapz

Piston, your point is a good one but if you have a game like Leics v Everton with the winner getting 17th place.. they'll just be kicking high balls hoping Duncan Ferguson or Les Ferdinand get their head to one of them at least which is well boring

Piston Broke

slapz said:
Piston, your point is a good one but if you have a game like Leics v Everton with the winner getting 17th place.. they'll just be kicking high balls hoping Duncan Ferguson or Les Ferdinand get their head to one of them at least which is well boring

I understand you point Slapz & it is more probable that it would happen more often in football( as it is easier to kick long balls than in hockey ) but unless they try it they will never Know :wink:

Biggus

Established Member
Can someone explain it to me
Basically its just an underlining of the previous ruling, To be ruled offside a player must in the opinion of the referee "actively seeking" to gain an advantage not just "passively standing there" of course as everyone who has actually played the game will tell you "passively standing there" is a ridiculous concept. I personally think that standing passively offside confuses your own players who may wish to pass to you as much as it may confuse the defending team. :roll: But crap desperate teams will allways grasp at gimmics :mrgreen:

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Top Bottom