• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!
Özil and ramsey cant play in the same team there i said it
My unpopular opinion is Özil should play on right wing. Özil can give very good pinpoint crosses from the side. And then he can cut in as an inverted winger

Özil should never play as central midfield. He can't shoot, doesn't want to shoot, can't tackle, can't wrestle for ball.

Best option though is still to sell Özil.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

My unpopular opinion is Özil should play on right wing. Özil can give very good pinpoint crosses from the side. And then he can cut in as an inverted winger

Özil should never play as central midfield. He can't shoot, doesn't want to shoot, can't tackle, can't wrestle for ball.

Best option though is still to sell Özil.
On his day hes quality still bit of a luxury player for me. Him playing on the wing isnt for me he doesnt have the pace or the desire to track back imo

Dr.Rick

4-3-2-1 should be the go to formation against Chelsea... considering our strategy is playing out from the back....

not conceding goals in the 1st 70 mins would be a big plus... play Lacazette as t sole striker up front with Özil and mkhi or ramsey behind him and line up the Defensive midfield with guendouzi, torreira and elneny ahead of t 4 defenders.. oh and yea.. leno should start...

Auba and 1 of Mkhi or Ramsey (whoever doesnt start) should come off the bench for the last 20 mins when t formation can b changed to 4-2-3-1 or even 4-1-3-2 to attack and find a goal... if we want to go for the win or draw (in case we have conceded already)

having said that i wud gladly take 1 point from Stamford Bridge by playing defensive football...

Dr.Rick

I really don't think so. :lol:
The hate and criticisms he gets are unfair.
I concur... At least he is better than Xhaka who either does dumb fouls or fools around casually when the opposition is in our D taking a shot... Case in Point the goal from Bernard...

IslingtonBornandbred

The Arsenal team of around 2014 - 2016 was of a much higher quality than the current squad and only needed one or two top additions to be more successful. Having finished top in the calendar year of 2015, had we signed a top forward like Auba, Laca, Higuain or Suarez we might have won the title.

Despite the club being praised with shifting the deadwood like Coquelin, Walcott, Giroud etc... at the time Coquelin before his injury was doing his job very well alongside Cazorla, and we were going away from home with a swagger and playing teams off the pitch with an in-form Alexis, Özil and Cazorla.

I may be rambling slightly and reminiscing about a team and players who some might detest but all I know is I saw that group a la Coquelin, Cazorla, Özil, Alexis play teams off the park home and away something that this current group struggled with in recent times. I remember the thrashing of United and Liverpool at home where we came out of the blocks like dynamite and pressed very well (something that might have been forgotten when we are commenting on Emery's pressing). They also let us down especially for me with the home defeat against Monaco in the UCL but like the group before with Cesc, RVP, Nasri, Clichy, I remember the team with fondness whereas I've never warmed to Cech, Mustafi, Xhaka and others.

To round up my "unpopular opinion", I'd say the team of Kos, Mert, Cazorla, Coquelin, Özil, Alexis, Theo would comfortably beat our team from last year and this year but the current squad is a working process.

Dr.Rick

This is some sort of inside joke I am not part of? A massive trolljob?

Elneny gets praise and the magnificent Xhaka gets shat on?

Xhaka isnt magnificent by any stretch of imagination.... He wudnt even make the bench of teams like City, Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool...

Elneny: 38 Appearances, 7 Yellows, 1 Red, 23 fouls, 61% tackle success, 17 blocked shots, 0 errors leading to goal.

Xhaka: 71 Appearances, 16 Yellows, 2 Reds, 95 fouls, 72% tackle success, 26 blocked shots, 5 errors leading to goal.
(Stats straight from Premier league website)

To be Honest both Elneny and Xhaka are sub-par.... Elneny i wudnt mind since he commits lesser fouls than Xhaka.. 2ndly Xhaka cost us more than Elneny...

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Özil & Ramsey, getting rid of both of those frees our team so much and e can actually build a midfield.

Agree, Özil is obviously a talented player but sometimes during a rebuild you need to return to being ugly in the early years.

Its like we are often starting with 10 men and one passenger most games, Madrid are on a completely different level but when they ditched him their team game improved as a whole.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Xhaka isnt magnificent by any stretch of imagination.... He wudnt even make the bench of teams like City, Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool...

Elneny: 38 Appearances, 7 Yellows, 1 Red, 23 fouls, 61% tackle success, 17 blocked shots, 0 errors leading to goal.

Xhaka: 71 Appearances, 16 Yellows, 2 Reds, 95 fouls, 72% tackle success, 26 blocked shots, 5 errors leading to goal.
(Stats straight from Premier league website)

To be Honest both Elneny and Xhaka are sub-par.... Elneny i wudnt mind since he commits lesser fouls than Xhaka.. 2ndly Xhaka cost us more than Elneny...

Mistakes only shows that you try

It is easy to not make mistakes if you pass the buck of like Monreal or in this case Elneny

Number of fouls only show that he is in the trenches more

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

We would make better progress with the rebuild if we sold Özil.. :eek:ops:

Yep.

In fact (and this is being Captain hindsight), the summer before this one we should've:

1. Sold Alexis and Özil at the start of the window when it was clear negotiations weren't going anywhere.

I think we would've gotten at least 60-80 Million for Sanchez and around 30 Million for Özil

2. I know their partnership is fantastic, but we should've settled on Lacazette OR Aubameyang, this is because:

3. We should've gotten some proper wingers. With around 150m from Sanchez, Özil and Oxlade we should've gotten 2 wingers; Malcolm, Bailey.....that ilk, young with lots of pace and potential

4. We could've replaced Özil with someone like Lemar, he went to Atletico for around £50 Mil. If we weren't fannying around and sold Alexis and Özil when they weren't signing then we could've signed him for around that or less.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
This is some sort of inside joke I am not part of? A massive trolljob?

Elneny gets praise and the magnificent Xhaka gets shat on?
Elneny cost us 5M. For what we were after and what we got at the price we paid, we got a bloody good deal. He's not flashy, he isn;t even amazing or anything. He just does a little more than we expected.
Xhaka, who cost 7 times the price, has underperformed compared to what we expected of him. We wanted a starter who could tear the league up. We got a boring player who can't hold up a ball.
Perspective is everything.

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!
Actually, Elneny has the potential to become even better. All he needs or majority of the players need are lots of goals every week and then their confidence goes through the roof.

Once that happens, they become in the zone and start dictating plays and games. Eventually they will win many trophies.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Elneny cost us 5M. For what we were after and what we got at the price we paid, we got a bloody good deal. He's not flashy, he isn;t even amazing or anything. He just does a little more than we expected.
Xhaka, who cost 7 times the price, has underperformed compared to what we expected of him. We wanted a starter who could tear the league up. We got a boring player who can't hold up a ball.
Perspective is everything.

It was clear as can be last season

Without him on the pitch we even more underperformed

If Emery for real implements a 3 men midfield you all will eat humble pie

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom