• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Jae

Our squad hasn't improved that much from last year. We'll face similar problems away from home.

Our poor away form was nothing to do with the quality of our squad, I believe it is a mentality issue. The fact that we were mostly brilliant at home reinforces this, we won 4 away games last season, the season before (16/17) we won 9 with pretty much the exact same squad. Hopefully Emery can change this.

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!
I am not trolling.

Ddg is really just an agile shot stopper. His other attributes still need improvement Eg motivating his team, organising his defence, claiming cross, body block (He's too small at 76 kg compared to Neuer at 93 kg), strength (often lose grip on ball), positioning, decision making, winning attitude(Kasper Schmeichel has a far stronger winning mentality and compsure)

DDG is protected at Man united anyway. Man united will win most of the matches anyway so it's okay for him to concede some goals due to indecision.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Ramsey shouldn't get a new contract and we should have tried to sell him this window. He's a big reason for our decline in recent years in the league.

I don't think he's a big reason for our decline in recent years, but I do think we should've sold him and bought a winger.

We're already stacked in AM with Özil and Mkhitaryan.

In CM we have Torreira, Elneny, Xhaka and Guendouzi.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Our poor away form was nothing to do with the quality of our squad, I believe it is a mentality issue. The fact that we were mostly brilliant at home reinforces this, we won 4 away games last season, the season before (16/17) we won 9 with pretty much the exact same squad. Hopefully Emery can change this.

Mentality and organization

Could have been good with a leftfooter CB that was either pacey or a ballplayer but properly organized mustafi and Sokrates can work decently

Now with the 3 men midfield we most likely will see the cbs are not as exposed

Lets hope Emery is not as forgiving and benches people when it is warranted
Consequences are important, keep players hungry and on their toes

Reactions: Jae

scytheavatar

Established Member

Our poor away form last season was because our defense and midfield was the weakest ever in the Wenger era. We struggle when teams don't show us respect and play us out of the pitch by pressing us and winning the ball easily off our technically challenged players. They have more the confidence to do that when they are home than at the Emirates. Will things be different this season?

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I understand that you fancy brainless physical players over the guys like Santi, but he was one of the best midfielders in PL in his few seasons with us, on par with Silva.
We are not in this position now because we had Nasri, Cazorla or Fabregas, we are here because we had so few of them over the last decade and too many of Welbecks, Girouds, Chamberlains and Elnenyes.
Losing him is the reason why we are closer to Burnley than Manchester clubs.

Fortunately, new coach looks like a fan of sexy football so I will be able to enjoy watching Arsenal again, and also, I'm sure that many here share the same feeling.
Absolutely spot on mate

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ramsey shouldn't get a new contract and we should have tried to sell him this window. He's a big reason for our decline in recent years in the league.

His stats looks good just because there are no stats measuring his mistakes. his missed close control, making wrong decisions, dribbling when there’s no teammate behind him protecting the back line, standing in opponent box when we need to defend, should’ve pass to a unmarked player but he decided to dribble, should’ve pass it slow but he go quick, should’ve pass it long but he do a short one, poor technical abilities, poor touch, poor positioning, good movement getting into scoring area but poor movement to create space for other players.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jae

His stats looks good just because there are no stats measuring his mistakes. his missed close control, making wrong decisions, dribbling when there’s no teammate behind him protecting the back line, standing in opponent box when we need to defend, should’ve pass to a unmarked player but he decided to dribble, should’ve pass it quick but he go slow, should’ve pass it long but he do a short one, poor technical abilities, poor touch, poor positioning, good movement getting into scoring area but poor movement to create space for other players.....

I've never been the biggest fan of Ramsey, he should have been sold. However, I find the fact that you said the above to slate him highly ironic, being that you could say the exact same thing about Xhaka, whom I believe you are a massive fan of.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I've never been the biggest fan of Ramsey, he should have been sold. However, I find the fact that you said the above to slate him highly ironic, being that you could say the exact same thing about Xhaka, whom I believe you are a massive fan of.
I’m not a fan of Xhaka. Some people here thinks Guendouzi should start ahead of Xhaka and i see their points. I don’t disagree with them. I just don’t think he deserves the criticism he gets. And I certainly don’t think the criticism I made on Ramsey can be applied to Xhaka.

Since when you see Xhaka staying at the striker position not coming back to defend?

Xhaka is better in making decision on picking the right sort of pass. He dictates the tempo, makes good passes to linkup our team, and I don’t see ramsey was doing that.

Xhaka is not a good dribbler, and he knows dribbling in those areas without at least teammate dropping behind to cover him is highly risky, so he doesn’t dribble, which is good.

His touch may not be good and need an extra second to adjust, which, to some people, he was slowing down our play. But what’s the problem with that? Every Guardiola teams have slow buildup. At least his touch does not result in a lost of possession, giving the ball straight to our opponent like Ramsey does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
winning the ball easily off our technically challenged players.

Never bought into the idea of this. Recent versions clearly weren't up there with Wenger's technically most gifted teams, but it's not like they were a bunch of lumberjacks and hoof ballers.

play us out of the pitch by pressing us

I think this is closer to the truth. While other teams we're clearly instructed on how and where to press Arsenal and which players to target in a systemic approach, our coaching staff didn't so much give our players ideas and plans on how to circumvent such a press.

I think it wasn't so much individual technical problems but the added pressure of finding a solution - a passing option etc. - on your own against an aggressive press. The seconds it takes to do this without having a pattern in mind how and where your teammates move is what hampered this team against bold pressing sides.

A big clue is that even technically less gifted teams can play more direct or circumvent the press when given a clear idea/system on how to do it.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
His stats looks good just because there are no stats measuring his mistakes. his missed close control, making wrong decisions, dribbling when there’s no teammate behind him protecting the back line, standing in opponent box when we need to defend, should’ve pass to a unmarked player but he decided to dribble, should’ve pass it slow but he go quick, should’ve pass it long but he do a short one, poor technical abilities, poor touch, poor positioning, good movement getting into scoring area but poor movement to create space for other players.....
Ramsey did all of these in a match again...

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!
Our poor away form last season was because our defense and midfield was the weakest ever in the Wenger era. We struggle when teams don't show us respect and play us out of the pitch by pressing us and winning the ball easily off our technically challenged players. They have more the confidence to do that when they are home than at the Emirates. Will things be different this season?

What you said is right.

Arsenal played better at home because opponents played more defensively as they feared us.

When Arsenal played away, opponents no longer feared us and tended to be more aggressive.

Players like Özil, Mkhitaryan, xhaka don't strike fear in opponent's heart and that one reason why Arsenal is sinking from top 4 to top 6. Needs more players like younger Alexis or T. Henry to come out of retirement.

Of course though, Man city doesn't fear Arsenal and can beat us home and away.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
If we consider Torreira as a DM, then I think Elneny is the best CM in the squad.
Guendouzi still lacks experience.
Ramsey has become a mediocre CM.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom