• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry OR 4-5-1

gun4glory

Yesterday we played a 4-5-1 against Man Utd, and we played damn well... Its one of the first times I've EVER enjoyesd watching anyteam play a 4-5-1... As much as i love the 4-4-2, I think we need 4-5-1 against tougher teams... We pack the midfield but still have players in the box coming in from midfield because there are others covering them...
BUT...
Henry dose not belong in a 4-5-1, at least not as a striker... We need someone who will stay with the opposition's back 4 and annoy the living **** out of them (ie RvP)... Henry doesn't get into those positions... We all know he likes to get te ball on the flanks and move in with it...
Yesterday there were so many breaks whee there was noone upfront, if we had RvP, we could have giventhe ball to him and he could have caused some trouble...
What we CAN do it....
1)Ditch Henry from the line-up or move him to midfield - NOWAY thats gonna happen

2)Stick to 4-4-2 - But we will be weak in Midfield

3)Try a 4-3-3, Barca Style... We would still have the solidity on the flanks and in midfield as the 2 wingers have more defensive duties... I would love for AW to try this(When fully fit):
--------------Lehmenn-----------------
--Lauren--Toure--Campbell--Cole--
----------------Gilberto----------------
------Fabregas------------Hleb---------
-----Reyes-----------------Henry-------
--------------van Persie------------------

4)The most unlikely of option --> 3-5-2???
We pack the midfield, have two strikers, but weakER in defense:
--------------Lehmenn-----------------
-------Toure--Campbell--Cole--------
----Fabregas-----Gilberto-----Hleb----
-----Ljungberg---------------Reyes---
-----------van Persie-----Henry--------

I personally think #3 (4-3-3) is the best... Although i don't mind 3-5-2 though its highly unlikly we will ever see it...

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
no 3 is possible if we have someone like scott parker or scott parker himself (speed, superb stamina, good coverup, nice tackles etc).

gun4glory

MK5 said:
I think Henry's fitness is the problem, not our formation.

Maybe a little of both.. but more the latter... his fitness(or lack there of) isn't pulling him back to behind the midfeild line, and it isnt influencing his desire to play along the flanks then cut in... if it is then he must have been unfit for a few seasons now...

A

Anonymous

Henry needs to learn to play in 4-5-1. It gives us strength in midfield.

sabret00the

Established Member
ASHBURRN said:
Henry needs to learn to play in 4-5-1. It gives us strength in midfield.
or we could just buy strength in midfield, what's the point in covering for players who aren't good enough to do the job?

Viper

Established Member
451 could work if it was like:

.............Lehmann

Lauren Toure Campbell Cole

.....Fabregas Gilberto Hleb

....Reyes Van Persie Henry

jaguars4ever

Viper said:

.............Lehmann

I like it.

We can attack like that when we have the ball, and have Reyes & Henry drop back when we have to defend.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
4-5-1 works very well with us..cos our 5 midifielders are still very much offensive minded. Our 4-5-1 is NOT a defensive formation cos of the the players we have. Henry just had to adjust to that formation..i believe he can..and he will. It will take time..football habits are tought to battle..Henry was a winger..went upfront but still likes to stay outside..and sometimes it does work..cos it creates room for mifielders to run in..but he does need to stay put more often. Its just an issue of time. We will get it right.with him.

nazo

Established Member
using the barca 4-3-3 (i dont know why you called it barca) looks the best for me, but we need someone tough for that (in the middle). 4-5-1 works the best now and like ashburrn has said henry just has to get used to it, or he is used to it but his injury is effecting him.

Viper

Established Member
bluenaz said:
using the barca 4-3-3 (i dont know why you called it barca) looks the best for me, but we need someone tough for that (in the middle). 4-5-1 works the best now and like ashburrn has said henry just has to get used to it, or he is used to it but his injury is effecting him.
Yeah but Van Persie would make a much better lone striker.

sabret00the

Established Member
Viper said:

.............Lehmann

you notice how you have a defensive line of four people, then a midfield line of three people, then an attacking/forward line of three people? how is that 4-5-1?

sabret00the

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
4-5-1 works very well with us..cos our 5 midifielders are still very much offensive minded. Our 4-5-1 is NOT a defensive formation cos of the the players we have. Henry just had to adjust to that formation..
you say all that and yet it's a formation so attacking that you still expect all the goals to come from one person?

Tegh

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Viper said:

.............Lehmann

you notice how you have a defensive line of four people, then a midfield line of three people, then an attacking/forward line of three people? how is that 4-5-1?
Reyes and Henry are meant to be RMF and LMF, with RVP as lone striker when we are in posession, and then they drop back into a 4-5-1 after.
Whatever.

Biggus

Established Member
I said at the end of last season even before Vieira left that we should change to option 1. (Henry in a 5 man midfield with Van the man up front....you must make your formation fit the available players not trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

phenn

Henry can learn to play in a 4-5-1 I think. Give him a little time. He can be a damn good predator if he wants to.

DOUBLE-YOU

4-5-1 can only work if freddie is playing. none of the other front players have the drive to get in the box. without freddie there arent enough bodies in the penalty area.

i feel wenger will not maintain this system. if he gets another defensive midfield player we wont play 4-5-1. i also feel he will drop this system once ashley cole returns. cygan doesn't go forward so we need 5 attacking players.

but lets be honest. this formation does not work for arsenal. we have won 1 game using this formation - against charlton. we have lost to chelsea, and drawn against manure (twice) ajax, aston villa. also we have only scored just 1 goal in 6 games the system has been used.

we have even used this formation in europe in previous seasons and never won. it's not arsenal.

sabret00the

Established Member
Tegh said:
sabret00the said:
Viper said:

.............Lehmann

Reyes and Henry are meant to be RMF and LMF, with RVP as lone striker when we are in posession, and then they drop back into a 4-5-1 after.
Whatever.
he's a big boy who can defend himself and i'm pretty sure he typed out what he meant.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom