• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry OR 4-5-1

nazo

Established Member
future arsenal:

lehmann/or someone younger
---lauren-toure-sol-cole---

reyes-hleb-cesc-gilberto-rvp

-------------henry--------------

probably that is our team

Tegh

Established Member
Meh, he said 4-5-1, so I interpreted it as what I said.
You're just being a picky sunavabeach, and where the hell has your grammar disappeared to? :(

legandary

If we sold henry for 25-30 mill we could buy baptista and a solid DCM...lets say Zakora or Diarra

....................... Baptista

Reyes......Hleb...........Cesc.......Van Persie

..................Zakora/Diarra

Cole........Sol........Toure.........Lauren

...................Lehman

I don't know about you guys but in my opinion that is a preety damn mouth watering team if you ask me. I also think 4-5-1 is the way to go, because we play a possession style of game, and we often do lack midfield cover. This formation benefits both of those aspects.

We would still have senderos, clichy, flamini, ljunberg, pires, almuina, quincy, eboue on the banch as well.

I am not saying i want Thierry to leave...all i am saying if you look at it perhaps life won't be so bad if he decides he wants to go.

sabret00the

Established Member
Tegh said:
You're just being a picky sunavabeach, and where the hell has your grammar disappeared to? :(

It's 2AM, it goes on home at midnight to join the wife and kids, 'spelling' and 'punctuation' respectively.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
4-5-1 works very well with us..cos our 5 midifielders are still very much offensive minded. Our 4-5-1 is NOT a defensive formation cos of the the players we have. Henry just had to adjust to that formation..
you say all that and yet it's a formation so attacking that you still expect all the goals to come from one person?

I dont expect the goals to come from one person. With a "working" 4-5-1 most goals will be coming from the middle..there will actually be less goals from Henry cos he will be doing most of the assists as you have seen him do lately. We have had some close ones lately where Henry just lays it to the on rushing midfielder. Its just dumb to state 4-5-1 won't work..because unfortunately you need to play it for a while so playes can get used to it. 4-5-1 does protects our midfield and allows the cesc/hleb to do what we hope they do best (move the ball forward and orchestrate attacks). Its a style that we need to play in certain games. You can not judge the success of a formatoin based only on the results. Try to look at the way we play with that formation over a period of time and make your judgement. There is still quite a lot of work to do to get it right. The stubborn wenger would surely keep at it whenever necessary.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arsène needs to work more on the linkage between wingers and RB/LB. Right now the team doesn't have Ashley to do the overlapping on the left; on the right Freddie doesn't play well to allow Lauren go forward.

I don't mind if Arsenal play 451 or 442. When our RB/LB starting go forward as frequently as they used to be, it means the team regain the confidence and defend solidly.

Dunno about the rest of you but i can never see Wenger ever putting Henry on the left hand side, even though he should really be shoved over there when we play the 4-5-1/4-3-3/whatever you wanna call it. Even as blatent as it is that he won't bloody stay where he should.

Tegh

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Tegh said:

It's 2AM, it goes on home at midnight to join the wife and kids, 'spelling' and 'punctuation' respectively.
You just cant get the staff these days.
Was it working overtime for that post? :)

gun4glory

legandary said:
If we sold henry for 25-30 mill we could buy baptista and a solid DCM...lets say Zakora or Diarra
....................... Baptista

Reyes......Hleb...........Cesc.......Van Persie

..................Zakora/Diarra

Cole........Sol........Toure.........Lauren

...................Lehman

I don't know about you guys but in my opinion that is a preety damn mouth watering team if you ask me. I also think 4-5-1 is the way to go, because we play a possession style of game, and we often do lack midfield cover. This formation benefits both of those aspects.

We would still have senderos, clichy, flamini, ljunberg, pires, almuina, quincy, eboue on the banch as well.

I am not saying i want Thierry to leave...all i am saying if you look at it perhaps life won't be so bad if he decides he wants to go.

First of all, we dont need to sell henry to buy other players... we have money...
2nd, baptista as a lone striker? i dont know, yeah hes physical, but not a lone striker, RvP is a much better option, i say switch the two...

bluenaz said:
using the barca 4-3-3 (i dont know why you called it barca) looks the best for me, but we need someone tough for that (in the middle). 4-5-1 works the best now and like ashburrn has said henry just has to get used to it, or he is used to it but his injury is effecting him.

Because they pull it off in the most beatiful of ways...
I really think it'll work out with Reyes and Henry pulling back to defend when we are defending, they both do that now when they arent playing in the position...
ffs Reyes was a LB, LW and RW against Man Utd...And Henry played in every midfield position... It should work... I'd love to see it tried though...
If we get a strong midfelder... It'll be great...

Gurgen

Established Member
I didn't see the game as I've moved this week, but playing 4-5-1 at home is simply a disgrace.

This chicken mentality that is creeping into Wenger's mind is not something I am liking. The point of football is playing from your own strengths, not adapting to the opposition. We still have the lion's share of the possesion almost every game, why are we the ones adapting to other teams?
We have some problems that don't allow us to play like we used to, but I don't understand why Wenger is trying to fix that by becoming a defensive team.

Viper

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Tegh said:
sabret00the said:
Viper said:
451 could work if it was like:

.............Lehmann

Lauren Toure Campbell Cole

.....Fabregas Gilberto Hleb

....Reyes Van Persie Henry

you notice how you have a defensive line of four people, then a midfield line of three people, then an attacking/forward line of three people? how is that 4-5-1?
Reyes and Henry are meant to be RMF and LMF, with RVP as lone striker when we are in posession, and then they drop back into a 4-5-1 after.
Whatever.
he's a big boy who can defend himself and i'm pretty sure he typed out what he meant.
433 in attack, 451 in defense... D:

I guess I should've put that there.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Gurgen said:
I didn't see the game as I've moved this week, but playing 4-5-1 at home is simply a disgrace.

This chicken mentality that is creeping into Wenger's mind is not something I am liking. The point of football is playing from your own strengths, not adapting to the opposition. We still have the lion's share of the possesion almost every game, why are we the ones adapting to other teams?
We have some problems that don't allow us to play like we used to, but I don't understand why Wenger is trying to fix that by becoming a defensive team.

I think it's a little bit of security in what are, for us, troubled times. I'm sure the 442 will return in time. And anyway, isn't good that Arsène is being less rigid in his thinking?

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arsène has not changed his entire philosophy about football all of a sudden. The 4-5-1 is just a temporary solution for what is a very, very weak midfield right now. It also puts gilberto in a much more comfortable position of just shielding the back four while not having any offensive responsibilities or having to hold on to the ball for too long as he would have plenty of support from hleb and Fabregas. Having said that, I do think that as soon as the team starts gaining confidence and the squad morale is back on a high I’m pretty sure we'll go back to 4-4-2.

Gurgen

Established Member
Having seen the highlights now, I'm even more confused.

We had holes in the defence the size of the great ocean. We had our chances, but they could have won it 3-0 if they knew how to finish. If this is defensive security, I'd rather have our weak 4-4-2 back.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:
Arsène has not changed his entire philosophy about football all of a sudden. The 4-5-1 is just a temporary solution for what is a very, very weak midfield right now.

...and a very weak attack. with rvp injured, the only other forward available is dennis and i think wenger is beginning to realize bergkamp is past it...

sabret00the

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Gurgen said:

I think it's a little bit of security in what are, for us, troubled times. I'm sure the 442 will return in time. And anyway, isn't good that Arsène is being less rigid in his thinking?
the problem is, it's at the expense of goals. 0.166 goals per game (where we play 4-5-1) it's not like we're a team of defenders. it's a disgrace.

sabret00the

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Having seen the highlights now, I'm even more confused.

We had holes in the defence the size of the great ocean. We had our chances, but they could have won it 3-0 if they knew how to finish. If this is defensive security, I'd rather have our weak 4-4-2 back.
Amen.

Tegh

Established Member
Our lack of goals is mainly down to this bloody 'pass around the box' mentality and the Thierry Henry approved 'over-playing' strategy. It's a joke, it's pathetic, it needs fixing. We aren't scoring enough goals, and Wenger and co must surely recognise this, so our tactic isn't working. How many times a game does our attack break down outside the opponents area due to over-passing? Too many, surely this is a signal for us to start shooting from range. Cesc has cottoned on, but needs practise, and RVP is injured whilst Hleb and Reyes have been brainwashed.

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom