• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Vermaelen (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Belgian defender Thomas Vermaelen, 27, says he would consider leaving Arsenal in January to improve his chances of playing in the 2014 World Cup finals.

Full story: the Times (subscription required)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/gossip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/gossip/</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't worry, will use my veto if Verminator wants to leave.

He has to stay and we need to sign another top central defender.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Re: Verminator (out)

Barcelona do not play classical central defenders. They value total football abilities above classical defending skills.

Some one judged a good central defender elsewhere might well not be suited to be a good central defender in Barcelona's system. And someone doing a great job as central defender at Barcelona, could well not do that well at another club.

If you look at the stats Barcelona's defence has been pretty sound, despite lots of injuries.

ModelGooner

Harambe Loyalist

Couldn't care less. As long as he is properly replaced good luck to him. A younger version of Vincent Kompany would be perfect..

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

i still like him but his performance in last 2 years especially last season was very s**te.

coopsollini

Rather than talking to the press he should concentrate on his game, he'll get a chance at some point in the season and he needs to take it.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict

clockwork orange said:
Barcelona do not play classical central defenders. They value total football abilities above classical defending skills.

Some one judged a good central defender elsewhere might well not be suited to be a good central defender in Barcelona's system. And someone doing a great job as central defender at Barcelona, could well not do that well at another club.

If you look at the stats Barcelona's defence has been pretty sound, despite lots of injuries.

Stats in this case are misleading. If they were tested as often as other top European sides' defences I'm sure the goals conceded tally would be alarming, they just get incredibly good protection against most opposition from midfield. Bayern last season was a good example of when there's quality opposition with a well executed game plan they will struggle at the back.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

He's got a contract and we want him as a backup, if he doesn't like it tough like, try and shine when you get your shot and pipe down. I can't see Wenger bend to players under contract right now that he needs in his squad.

Pea-Tear-Griffin

I don't think this would be bad in all honesty.
It would mean that Wenger could appoint a more suitable captain who gets regular playing time, without Vermaelen getting annoyed and dressing room unrest to occur.
Plus, we could get someone who would be happy to be a backup or even a starter.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard

I dont think Vermaelen is a troublemaker he needs his chance.

baccy_man

Established Member

We need to keep Thomas as long as we can because if Kos or Per get injured and are out for any sort of long period we could find our selves short on the defensive side,
And Thomas can also cover on the left back posistion if needed, I know we have got Gibbs and Monreal but Thomas has been used in that posistion before so he can do it.

musicmonkey

Established Member

He can't go in Jan that's for sure, i don't fancy us buying when we're genuinely desperate and i don't feel there's even a youngster who can step in comfortably.

Personally i think we'll have to let him go which isn't such a bad thing. I think Sagna could make a career at CB and we should pick up a RB and younger 4th choice CB at the end of the season.

Mobb Starr

Even though he is not getting a lot of time on the pitch I would guess that his place in the Belgian squad is not really under threat. Especially if Kompany's back problems resurface. He knows that he has to be patient and wait for his time to come back. He will get his chances in the cups as long as we are in them and he is still a key player for us this season.

Steve Bould will put his arm around him and keep him steady. He knows all about waiting for an opportunity.Wwhen he was playing he knew that Adams was captain and first on the teamsheet just like Per is now and he had to compete with Keown for a starting spot just like TV5 has to compete with Kos now. It is a team sport and Arsenal are going places.

Having said all that I would swap him for Mascherano if Barca erally want to do business.

musicmonkey

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmtsQQYdCNM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmtsQQYdCNM</a>

Not looking too great for keeping him, just hope he doesn't want to force himself out in Jan.

thedon5

If needed send him on loan in Jan IMO, if we bring in another CB or two it shouldn't be a problem and we can reassess the situation in the summer.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I'm sure wenger will give him chance to play he prove on Sunday he is still good enough we will have alot of games so one of per or kosh need to get rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom