• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Arsenal are ready to launch a £6million bid for coveted Ajax centre-half Toby Alderweireld.

Gunners manager Arsène Wenger wants to strengthen his defence and has entered the race for the Belgium international.

The 24-year-old defender has also been linked with Tottenham and Everton this summer but Spartak Moscow are believed to the leading contenders to sign the player, who has less than 12 months remaining on his contract.

Alderweireld, however, has set his heart on a move to the Premier League and would prefer to play in London.

If he joins Arsenal he would team up with fellow Belgian Thomas Vermaelen and if he becomes Sp**s’ latest recruit he would be reunited with Belgium international and former Ajax defensive partner Jan Vertonghen.

Arsenal’s defence has been considered to be their Achilles heel over the last few seasons but Wenger has remained loyal to his players, refusing to bring in new additions this summer.

That caused uproar at the Emirates after a 3-1 opening day defeat to Aston Villa with fans calling for their club to ‘spend, spend, spend’.

<a class="postlink" href="http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/21/arsenal-weigh-up-offer-for-ajax-centre-back-toby-alderweireld-3931906/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/21/arsenal-w ... d-3931906/</a>

blaze_of_glory

I love how the media continues to say our defence is our weakness despite the fact it was, I believe, second best in the league last season.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We certainly need an Alder RB than Jenkinson who's still quite raw.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Was hoping we'ld aim a little higher. Certainly not a bad player and he is from Belgium, which is the most popular flavour at the moment, but that's it.

Rorz

Established Member
Alderweireld is a decent player, but there's no chance Ajax will settle for £6m.

Cruisio

Established Member
Nah 6m sounds about right, he nearly joined Norwich earlier in the window for that much but he wanted to see if a better team would come in for him. I think Ajax would sell for around that much

He's alright, can play RB as well, as depth he'd be alright

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
No frekkin need for him as a CB.

Only me that sees him as a option for DM?

the dude has got a passing game, covers alotta ground for a CB and can shoot, surely his technical skills are up to par, trained at Ajax ffs.

Vermaelen has got quality he just needs to regain it

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
he have one year left in his contract so 6M pounds is fair price for him in my opinion, put 20M bid pounds to Ajax and buy Eriksen and Alderweireld.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
If we do get him in I'm almost certain he'll be played DM. IIRC Wenger wanted to sign Vertonghen and play him in midfield, Toby is capable of the same. I watched Ajax vs. FC Zwolle last year and noticed Toby is very comfortable on the ball for a CB, has a good range of passing. Pretty sure he got on the score sheet too, so would be an interesting addition.

For £6M it's a no brainer IMO.

Cruisio

Established Member
He's not coming to play DM lads

Mostly because we don't play with a DM and he's not a midfielder, if he came it'd be as a CB and emergency RB, I can assure you of that

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
If we do get him in I'm almost certain he'll be played DM. IIRC Wenger wanted to sign Vertonghen and play him in midfield, Toby is capable of the same. I watched Ajax vs. FC Zwolle last year and noticed Toby is very comfortable on the ball for a CB, has a good range of passing. Pretty sure he got on the score sheet too, so would be an interesting addition.

For £6M it's a no brainer IMO.

Cruisio said:
He's not coming to play DM lads

Mostly because we don't play with a DM and he's not a midfielder, if he came it'd be as a CB and emergency RB, I can assure you of that

we used to not too long ago, and we'd get even more out of our creative cm's. atm we are forcing square pegs into round holes

Cruisio

Established Member
Nothing suggests to me that Wenger's even close to considering the inverted triangle midfield anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom