• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Arsenal v Anderlecht - 4/11/14, 19:45 - SS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannonade

Established Member
If we all think Alexis should be rested he will play for sure-and probably the entire 90. Wenger loves to troll A-M.

Rorz

Established Member
We have the opportunity to qualify for the next round with a victory and people think Sanchez will be rested? Not a chance! If we qualify tomorrow night and then things go tits up when we play Dortmund, then Sanchez will likely be rested for the final group game. While it's still possible for us to win the group he will play.

VancouverCanuck

FWIW, Wenger is going to put Alexis in the starting XI tomorrow, as long as he is healthy. This is a CL match and Wenger always put out the strongest 11 when qualifying is at stake.

To me, the match to rest Alexis was that meaningless League cup against Southampton.

Iceman10

Established Member
VancouverCanuck said:
FWIW, Wenger is going to put Alexis in the starting XI tomorrow, as long as he is healthy. This is a CL match and Wenger always put out the strongest 11 when qualifying is at stake.

To me, the match to rest Alexis was that meaningless League cup against Southampton.

I believe that appearance in the League Cup match was possibly an indirect result of him being on the bench for the weekend PL match prior (at Villa) due to a last minute tweak of something during warm up. At that point AW's priority was to give him match time to help assimilate. Now that he is firing priorities may change slightly.

VancouverCanuck

@Iceman That may be true but when was the last time Wenger rest a key player for a CL match when there are still lots at stake. If we win, qualifying for the knockout is almost a certainty, assuming Dortmund wins theirs. There will be plenty of opportunities to rest Alexis then.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Let's just win this and secure our qualification. But maybe sub him out when we already comfortable.

Iceman10

Established Member
VC, I agree. It's a tough decision although I personally would have Sanchez on the bench only to come on if required. Nevertheless we know what AW is likely to do and we definitely don't want qualification still up in the air when we travel to Turkey for the last round of matches in our group, although that looks unlikely now.

I'm not sure on opportunities for rest, matches away at places such as Swansea are not taken lightly nowadays, and then after an international break (during which he will be travelling and playing) we have matches against United and Dortmund. There will be odd weeks here and there where we don't have midweek games with us being out of the League Cup, as was the case last week.

KY

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
THunter said:
:lol:
I meant redwhiteAustrian, Alaba is Austrian. :wink:

Yeah, since there are actually just two Austrians on earth, there was at least a 50% chance..... :wink:

giphy.gif

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

This is the game I'd put Sanchez on the bench to give him a rest. Welbeck Ox and one from Campbell / Podolski / Walcott to start.
Next game is away to Swansea then United at home if we cannot rest a player at home to Anderlect then we have problems.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Yep, we should still have enough to defeat Anderlecht without our strongest XI. At home, I expect us to win by at least a couple goals.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

redwhiteAustrian said:
THunter said:
:lol:
I meant redwhiteAustrian, Alaba is Austrian. :wink:

Yeah, since there are actually just two Austrians on earth, there was at least a 50% chance..... :wink:
Damn, one day David, one day. :cry:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Beat these 4-0
Say Dortmund win 3-0 tonight.

Beat Dortmund 3-0
We go top with a better goal difference (level with Dortmund but a better head to head) and win the group if we beat Gala.

Basically, smash these tonight and do the same somehow against Dortmund.

Iceman10

Established Member
Which is the first tie breaker if we end up on the same points - head to head or goal difference?

GOONER1991

Established Member
I don't think Alexis really needs a rest, he's just come from a week off. Play him, let him continue his momentum, hopefully grab another goal, and then take him off if the game is done.

Iceman10

Established Member
Thanks Gooner1991, so I think goal difference won't be important unless we beat Dortmund with a scoreline of 2-0, i.e. a mirror image of the tie at Dortmund.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Interesting, the Dortmund game really is the one we need to do well in. Shame it comes after the United game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think this project is going to go BANG

Mikel Arteta after a difficult run of results

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 26

Talks have taken place between Marcus Rashford and Mikel Arteta [AFCamden]

Nothing is decided between Arsenal and Emile Smith Rowe [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Top Bottom