• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League 2013/2014

cannonade

Established Member
Stevez said:
cannonade said:
di Maria MOTM. Simione and Atletico's corner defense tactics bottled this big time.

When did every loss suddenly become a bottle job? They didn't bottle anything. Atletico did amazing and were like 180 seconds from winning the league and CL double at humongous odds. Incredible. That's just how football goes. Ramos is a beast in the air and he showed it once again. Great player.
Bottle job because there's 2 minutes left in added time of the CL final, the opponent has a corner and the defending team leaves both their posts unprotected. At that point you defend the goal with your lives, not just your keeper. If there are defenders on each post on Ramos' goal, there is no goal and Atletico are champions.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
A bottle job would be them losing 3-0 in regulation time. They were defensively rock solid and the overhyped Courtois didn't have many scares before Ramos's goal. Benzema, Ronaldo and Bale were almost completely irrelevant in the game until Atletico exhausted themselves in extra time.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
gotta feel for Atletico 3 goals in 10 minutes ( 1 dodgy penalty ) doesn't reflect their amazing work

Ramos, Modric, di Maria, and Marcelo was really dogged for a win, great passion. Seeing Casilas got yelled at was something else :)

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don't feel sorry for Atletico at all, the better and most deserving team on the night, won.

Simeone let himself down, no better than Mourinho, all Varane did was roll the ball out towards him.

cannonade

Established Member
All I'm saying is this: Atletico played a superb game, should have won in normal time, and has had an incredible season. Bottle job may not be the correct term, but how you leave your posts exposed at that moment in the game is beyond me. Even if you're exhausted, there's 2minutes left max, defend your goal line on a corner and the trophy is probably yours.

Suave Gooner89

Established Member
Stevez said:
Ronaldo has now scored 252 goals in his 246 Madrid appearances. That is just ridiculous.

He and Messi are just complete freaks - total anomalies.

It would be interesting to see how many goals he'd score if he ever returned to the PL: I'm not doubting his ability, but apart from the 07/08 season his goal tallies in England aren't extraordinary - I''m just curious as to whether he's really improved that much or if La Liga's standard of play is generally lower than the PL.

I suspect it may be a combination of both.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Deserved win for Real Madrid, I would have liked a win for Atletico, but you have to give credit to Madrid. ( Atletico didn't want to play football any more after the 1-0 you could see that.

Mastadon

Established Member
Ronaldo's goal scoring record in the CL is just as impressive. Himself and messi are truly unique I don't think there has ever been such a huge gap between the top 2 players in the world with the rest. Monkey head has had a very good season as well it was never going to be easy at Madrid with the price tag and expectations but he's scored in both cups Madrid have won this season and lived up to expectations IMO.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Some interesting developments in football this season:

- Real Madrid have played 4-4-2 throughout the season, even in the CL final
- Atletico also started the CL final with a 4-4-2 and with a classic two banks of four
- Arsenal won the FA Cup playing 4-4-2
- In the league, Liverpool and Man City played a 4-4-2 for the entirety of their seasons.

We're seeing a resurgence of the old formation.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHAAA!!!!!

**** YOU ATLETICO!!!

**** YOU SIMEONE!!!!

**** YOU ATLETICO FANS!!!!

Thank **** football prevailed last night, utterly embarrassing performance from Atletico, tried to anti-football Real to death but thankfully Real never gave up.

Simeone has just proven what an utter scumbag he is with his reaction to Varane very lightly kicking a ball off the pitch.

MaestroCesc

cannonade said:
Stevez said:
cannonade said:
di Maria MOTM. Simione and Atletico's corner defense tactics bottled this big time.

When did every loss suddenly become a bottle job? They didn't bottle anything. Atletico did amazing and were like 180 seconds from winning the league and CL double at humongous odds. Incredible. That's just how football goes. Ramos is a beast in the air and he showed it once again. Great player.
Bottle job because there's 2 minutes left in added time of the CL final, the opponent has a corner and the defending team leaves both their posts unprotected. At that point you defend the goal with your lives, not just your keeper. If there are defenders on each post on Ramos' goal, there is no goal and Atletico are champions.
You realise that the two people who weren't on the posts don't just disappear right? They give extra help in trying to defend the initial header. Don't think it's fair to say that.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Shame for Atletico, the score line flattered Real but noone will remember the game in 10 years, only that Real Madrid won.

My cousin had a 150/1 on Godin scoring & Atletico winning 1 nil. So close for him!

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Was Felipe one of the Atletico Brazilians left out of their WC squad? I thought he was outstanding last night, had Bale in his pocket and won so many challenges he had no right to win. Comfortable on the ball as well going forward.

Also, did anybody else notice Keane trying to take the piss out of Gerrard at every opportunity last night? :lol:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
CurryFlavoured said:
It's hilarious how 99% of losses by half-decent teams are branded 'bottle jobs' these days.

Excellent post. I agree wholeheartedly.

These days a team can't just be the better team on the night, the opposition must 'bottle it'.

Atletico gave it everything they had but that last minute header they conceded was just too much to come back from after leading for so long. In extra time you could see the majority of the lads were out on their feet.

Fairplay to Real Madrid, even with seconds to go they kept trying and trying, well deserving of the equaliser IMO. It's a shame Jose Sosa didn't take that free kick shortly before the equaliser into the corner flag, instead he tried to go for goal. Costly decision.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Gutted for Atletico.

Madrid are ***** - cheating bastard Ronsldo diving for a pen after he flopped the whole match. For all his 70 goals against Levante, Bale was the one who delivered the two trophies for them. Must hurt Ronaldo.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Atletico were kicking and time wasting as well as not bothering to play football, there was only one team of cheats yesterday.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Was I the only one who wanted Real to equalise and get more drama? Because it was shaping up to be a crap couple of hours of football if Atletico had held out.

I'm all for the underdog, but I'm also for teams who push on the front foot and the spectacle. Atletico had to play the way they did, injured attackers etc, I can understand that.

Atletico are no angels btw, players wasting time, tactical fouling, players getting niggly at every given opportunity etc.

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom